Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TechCrunch has posted another lengthy report detailing what it is hearing about Apple's plans for the fifth-generation iPhone and iOS 5, now both rumored for release closer to a "fall" timeframe than the traditional June/July timeframe seen in past years.

Perhaps the most notable information comes at the end of the article, revealing that sources have said that Apple's April 2010 acquisition of personal assistant software company Siri is set to bear fruit in the form of "deeply integrated" artificial intelligence and voice control for iOS 5, a change that could potentially transform the way iOS devices are used.
A year ago, Apple bought Siri, a virtual personal assistant startup that had released a very cool iPhone app. The Siri team and technology are now said to be a big part of iOS 5.

The use of Siri's artificial intelligence and assistance technology is said to be deeply integrated into the OS for all the different services offered. And the team is now putting the finishing touches on the elements that will be demoed at WWDC, we hear. This tech may also be opened to developers for use in third-party apps - though that information isn't quite as concrete.
The report also notes that a fall release for new iPhone hardware provides Apple with additional time to incorporate LTE 4G capabilities, speculating that a desire to add LTE may even be the reason for the shift in release schedule compared to past years.
TechCrunch contributor Steve Cheney (who nailed the timing of the Verizon iPhone last year), believes that a fall iPhone 5 launch makes LTE much more likely. He currently puts the odds at zero to ten percent for LTE if the iPhone 5 launched this summer (again, not happening), 50 percent if it comes in the fall, and 100 percent if it comes in January.

A fall timeframe would give Apple a more vetted and lower power Qualcomm chip for LTE, Cheney says. When the Verizon iPhone was unveiled in January, Apple COO Tim Cook addressed the LTE issue directly. "The first generation LTE chipsets force some design compromises. Some of which we would not make," he said. If Cheney is right, that may not be such an issue later this year.
The report notes that Apple waited to adopt 3G technology until is had significantly matured, opting to release the original iPhone as an EDGE-only device despite relatively widespread 3G coverage available at the time. But at that time the iPhone was a completely new concept for smartphones setting the stage to remake the industry regardless of whether it was an EDGE or 3G device. In the much larger and much more competitive smartphone market today, Android devices are already moving to LTE and Apple may not wish to wait until mid-2012 to introduce its own LTE iPhone.

Article Link: iOS 5 to Offer Significant Voice Integration? Fall iPhone 5 Launch Opens Door to LTE?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I only use current iOS voice control for dialing.

Would love better voice technology in iOS 5. Make it so!

yankeex777

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Will ATT have signifigant enough LTE coverage by then? Or would and LTE iPhone only be offered to Verizon?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
If Apple holds back on the iPhone 5 for the fall or winter, then I would expect we're going to see a fairly major change in the same basic iPhone4 form.

Personally... I love the idea of them taking their time right now and not playing the "rush" game. One of the things I think will bite Moto, HTC and others is they are always trying to out-spec each other and their implementations are sometimes very flawed or weak.

Give us a strong iOS and MacOSX upgrade this summer and then follow it up with a new iPhone in October and a retina version of the iPad and iPod Touch in the fall and Apple would be on fire for the holidays.

Will ATT have signifigant enough LTE coverage by then? Or would and LTE iPhone only be offered to Verizon?

I would guess that iPhone5 will be duel mode GSM and CMDA... so I would assume the 4G should be able to adapt to either.

Last edited by a moderator:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
This is exactly what many said in response to the article yesterday. Delay three months to get support for next gen networks (and who knows, maybe unify the ATT and verizon hardware). Despite all the hand wringing, it's hard to imagine many happy iPhone users would defect over a three month delay.

Much better to get new features three months later than ship in summer without them and have to wait a whole extra year for them.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
The report notes that Apple waited to adopt 3G technology until is had significantly matured

BS. 3G was fully matured at the time of release of the first Iphone. It had been commercially adopted for over 5 years at that point in time.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
BS. 3G was fully matured at the time of release of the first Iphone. It had been commercially adopted for over 5 years at that point in time.

But not widespread at all in the U.S the primary target audience of the first generation iPhone.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

3G did take more battery life at the time of the release of the original, and the iPhone was enough of a battery hog with its unprecedented screen size and CPU power that it was something of a concern. Still should've had it, but I remember that turning off 3G could significantly extend your battery life on the iPhone 3G.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I was really hoping for an iPhone this summer, but my contract w/ another company runs until 11/30/11 anyway. It's going to be a pain dealing w/ this HTC Hero for the rest of the year, but if the iPhone 5 comes with LTE to be "future-proofed", so to speak, I'll be pretty happy to wait. Having to wait until 2012, though, will be painful. Hopefully it's a fall release to rev up for the holidays.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

And this is one of the big reasons why I'm doubting this rumor about LTE.

The technology on the carrier end of things is still nascent, at best. I don't think Apple would invest lots of time and money to launch technology that would be barely functional upon launch.

I had always assumed that the 2012 iteration of the iPhone would be the very first to have LTE because that would give both the carriers and Apple enough time to work out the kinks.

I think it's vastly more probable that bloggers are becoming antsy about the lack of verifiable iPhone rumors compared to this time last year. Apple has probably tightened up their leaks and speculators are left on the sidelines throwing out inconsistent theories.

I'm still betting that we see a modest bump the iPhone 4's specs, the white version, and increased storage capacity and this will be the iPhone 5.

Eye4Desyn

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
U, S, and A
This is awesome news! Sounds like iOS 5 will now give Google's Voice Actions for Android a run for its money. Ha...I even have the Siri app on my home screen (which I seldom use) but after WWDC and seeing its integration into iOS 5, I'll be using it or whatever it will be called a lot more often. Looking forward to WWDC '11! :D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone with a lick of common sense could have guessed the timing for the Verizon iPhone last year so TechCrunch's source doesn't impress me that much.

I'm skeptical of these post June/July launch dates for the iPhone 5 but I suppose we will eventually find out.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
It makes sense for Apple to start selling the iPhone in September instead of June. The iPad updates around March, so 6 months later is September. They probably did that to ease the manufacturing and push more of that given product at that time of year.

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio
I'm excited for iOS 5, although I am not too fond of voice control. I want Apple to take their time and do everything perfect as they will and always do; but I'm not trying to wait until Fall for an update. I guess iJustin and I will have to bundle up and bring fire wood this year.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
But not widespread at all in the U.S the primary target audience of the first generation iPhone.

I remember getting a new phone just before the iPhone was originally announced, and despite the fact that it was a bargain basement dumb phone, it had 3g.

In fact, I distinctly remember seeing 3g on almost every other phone I was looking at months before that, including smartphones. It was widespread already by that time, but it still had technical limitations (mostly on the power end of things).

I think Apple's strategy has always been to delay implementing new technology until it functions seamlessly. I just don't see an LTE iPhone this year being able to function seamlessly. The carriers (at least in North America) are nowhere near ready and their target for full implementation is around 2013, which makes 2012 a far more reasonable timeframe for an LTE iPhone because by then at least a substantial portion of the market will have access to LTE.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Even though I find/have no use for the current voice control in iOS, this is welcomed good news! :cool:

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
As much as I hate my 3G these days (SLOW) i'd rather wait a few extra months for an LTE iPhone to last me another 2 years instead of having LTE in 2012 and feeling the need to upgrade so soon.

Hopefully iPhone 5 will be both 3G/LTE and GSM/CDMA

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I would definitely prefer a Fall iPhone 5 release if it had LTE.

As for the voice command thing - I don't really care. It's not like it takes that long to press an icon, although it might help some in the cold wiinter when I have gloves on.

Tony

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
I would definitely prefer a Fall iPhone 5 release if it had LTE.

As for the voice command thing - I don't really care. It's not like it takes that long to press an icon, although it might help some in the cold wiinter when I have gloves on.

I'm with you on both items. I've been psyched for iPhone 5 to replace my 3GS, but for LTE I might be convinced to wait... (Then again my 4G friend says Boston has spotty coverage at the moment...)

As for the voice thing - I don't think I've ever used it nor really want to. To those that do use it - why? Is this a feature that car drivers use a lot?

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Maybe a dumb question

But once 4G is implemented, will Verizon's internet and downloading be the same or faster speed-wise than AT&T?

I know currently AT&T is faster...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.