Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hi guys!

Does anyone know how I can open a wmv file on my iPad?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Oplayer. Press the file there'll be download option. Hit the download. Once it's finished the app will automatically play the video.

rasputinj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you are using exchange, have an admin change your voicemail format to wav

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Oplayer. Press the file there'll be download option. Hit the download. Once it's finished the app will automatically play the video.

Hi, thanks!

I downloaded this in the app store but it won't open the wmv files? I can hear sound but no video?

I uninstalled and reinstalled it but it still won't work. Has anyone else experienced these problems?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Hi, thanks!

I downloaded this in the app store but it won't open the wmv files? I can hear sound but no video?

I uninstalled and reinstalled it but it still won't work. Has anyone else experienced these problems?

That's weird. The one I tested playing alright. Not as smooth as MPEG and AVI though. Could you upload the file? I want to test it.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Try yxplayer — I find it generally works better than the other video players.

BTW, anyone who says the iPad can't play wmv files (or most file formats for that matter) apparently hasn't found the big blue button titled, 'App store'. ;)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Last year I tested some apps and I thought I found the best player: Oplayer. I found it's much smoother and gave a better picture than VLC (VLC is too contrasty). I haven't used it for a few months. Because of this thread I checked the app again and to my horror, it's getting worse. Looks like there's some bugs from updates. It just isn't as smooth as before.
Why do I think it's a bug? Because I play both large files (>720 wide res) and ordinary file (720 wide res) and both are a bit stuttered just the same.
When I tested these files with other apps. In VLC the ordinary file played fine. No stutter at all. But the large file stuttered badly. Same as Azul Player which, I think, use the same engine as VLC.
Don't bother with yxplayer. It's really crude.

Looks like my search for the best player is on again.

PS1: OP, I tested 3 wmv clips I have and every apps mentioned above all played it with no problem.
PS2: Anyone who would like to have VLC should just buy Azul Player. It use the same decoder I believe. I tested many files and it behaved the same as VLC but gives a better picture (more natural, not too contrast like VLC) and it cost only a buck.

Last edited:

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Oplayer is ok. But i like Buzz player better, much bigger chance it plays everything ok. Like Oplayer, it is registred in system so you can open files from mail etc....

gavcur

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

VLC is decent and best of all. FREE.

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

VLC is decent and best of all. FREE.

VLC is not in App Store anymore and it is not coming back! Also there are more functional players now (Oplayer, Buzz player).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.