Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you miss Flash functionality on your iPad?

• Definitely, it's a deal breaker and I'm returning it.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • It's annoying but I'll live with it.

Votes: 34 28.6%
  • I'm pleasantly surprised by how little it bothers me.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • What's Flash?

Votes: 26 21.8%

• Total voters

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Its been 5 or so days of heavy use including surfing etc and I have to say I have hardly missed Flash functionality. I expected lots of pages to be useless and not to be able to view much video but I'd say in most cases (above 90%) I haven't had a problem at all.

Anybody else here feel like not having flash isn't that big a deal?

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't miss what I never had. Not having flash has only been a problem once on my iPad. When that happened, I took my business elsewhere.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I don't miss what I never had. Not having flash has only been a problem once on my iPad. When that happened, I took my business elsewhere.

Thank you. I have been preaching that for quite awhile. No going to the laptop or desktop, just flat out refuse to do business with companies or visit websites that insist on Flash dependency.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
If you miss flash you can try these browsers: Skyfire, Puffin (my favorite) Iswifter, and cloud browse (you pay monthly and I don't think it is worth it)

BobbieM629

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Midwest
If you miss flash you can try these browsers: Skyfire, Puffin (my favorite) Iswifter, and cloud browse (you pay monthly and I don't think it is worth it)

I use Skyfire if I am set out to do something I KNOW is flash (like watch a show clip online).. other then that I don't notice the lack of flash abilities.. honestly.. doesn't bother me at all :)

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
Yes, on some occasions. There are a number of interactive sites where flash is essential. But given than my iPad is not a computer replacement for me, it isnt so bad.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thank you. I have been preaching that for quite awhile. No going to the laptop or desktop, just flat out refuse to do business with companies or visit websites that insist on Flash dependency.

Really, I just could not be assed to get off my big ass and move. Frankly, if I am inconvenienced then there is no point in me bitching about it, I'll just buy whatever I want elsewhere.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Bank of America's Sitekey security feature requires flash to setup a new PC for access to the full site. The more limited iphone app works ok. The bank has no estimate as to the timeframe or if they will update that web application so that it does not require flash.

I'm a bit annoyed Apple still refuses to include this as an option we can turn on only as needed but I understand many folks wouldn't know how to disable it and could result in a negative user experience. Perhaps include the option with the default mode being disabled.

Oh well....

Kane08

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Why isn't there a "don't miss it at all/doesn't bother me one bit" option? That's the camp I'm in, not one single time have I missed it. Have there been times I've gone to a website that relied somewhat or completely on flash? Yes, but that didn't make me miss flash, it made me stop using that companies site, and want to smack whatever individuals at those companies who made such 'brilliant' decisions

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Bank of America's Sitekey security feature requires flash to setup a new PC for access to the full site. The more limited iphone app works ok. The bank has no estimate as to the timeframe or if they will update that web application so that it does not require flash.

I'm a bit annoyed Apple still refuses to include this as an option we can turn on only as needed but I understand many folks wouldn't know how to disable it and could result in a negative user experience. Perhaps include the option with the default mode being disabled.

Oh well....

Umm

Adobe has had the iOS SDK for years and have not been able to make Flash efficient enough for Apple to allow it on their devices.

Blame Adobe and your bank, and their web developers.

I can't think of a single reason that a bank's website would need Flash ??

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
It only bothers me when I try to go to a website, and it's flash based. Then I have to wait to get home and see the website on the computer... :rolleyes:
A shame, cause iPad 2 can handle flash, I'm sure.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Well not really cause usually when I need to take a photo it's during daylight hours so no need really...

...:apple:

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Why isn't there a "don't miss it at all/doesn't bother me one bit" option? That's the camp I'm in, not one single time have I missed it. Have there been times I've gone to a website that relied somewhat or completely on flash? Yes, but that didn't make me miss flash, it made me stop using that companies site, and want to smack whatever individuals at those companies who made such 'brilliant' decisions

I don't miss it at all either, and being a BofA customer, I am pissed at Bofa that they rely on flash for that purpose. Luckily I have only run into it once on their site, and dealt with it.

Everyone should be blaming Adobe for the lack of flash. It does not work on IOS or Honeycomb, or OSX, and does not work well on Windows XP, Vista, or 7. Doesn't sound to me like it's Apple's fault.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009

That was option four, "What's flash?".....It was meant in a kind of ironic way....Maybe I shouldn't have tried to be funny...apologies!

I develop web pages from time to time and whenever clients say they want flash, I immediately ask why and tell them that it's a closed, proprietary system that adds little true value. Most of the time they come round to the same way of thinking :D

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Just to point out, obviously since this is an Apple forum, there won't be as many "deal breaker" votes as those people will tend to not be viewing an iPad forum.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court

Oh well....

I have no issues at all with my bank. Looks like it might be time to switch to a new bank. One that doesn't require Flash to do online banking. If Apple had any Flash capability, then web master's wouldn't change their sites and Flash would continue to survive.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I also use iSwifter whenever I need to view a flash web page. Works great, and not just for flash videos!

This works but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable running a banking app in this way. OK option for other sites though. A little slow but let's me view the animation or video.

Umm

Adobe has had the iOS SDK for years and have not been able to make Flash efficient enough for Apple to allow it on their devices.

Blame Adobe and your bank, and their web developers.

I can't think of a single reason that a bank's website would need Flash ??

It's stupid really. Just an animation for the box that accepts the initial code for setting up sitekey. Probably wouldn't take them long to rewrite that screen. It's a one-time task that sets a cookie.

I don't miss it at all either, and being a BofA customer, I am pissed at Bofa that they rely on flash for that purpose. Luckily I have only run into it once on their site, and dealt with it.

Everyone should be blaming Adobe for the lack of flash. It does not work on IOS or Honeycomb, or OSX, and does not work well on Windows XP, Vista, or 7. Doesn't sound to me like it's Apple's fault.

I don't deny flash has poor performance. I would just like the option to enable it and disable it at will. It could be disabled by default.

I suppose it's not that important; besides it's just one of those "Jobs" things like no Blu-ray for you! :)

Cheers,

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
I too, am surprised how the Internet has become less dependent on Flash. Embeded YouTube clips play fine, I think I've seen Vimeo working as well. Pretty much every site worth visiting has embraced html5 video in some way. In the past week of iPad ownership, there must have only been two or three sites I couldn't fully experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.