Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypeber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Hi everyone, I am going to buy the new MBP this week. I am thinking about instalingl a ssd myself and wondering what are my options?

I need a lot of room to store my music since I am a DJ myself. I know I can always get a portable hard drive, however it is hard to manage the music on Portable hard drive and music i purchase through iTunes.

My best solution would be be the 500GB SSD, but it just way over my budget.

What u guys think about Hybrid SSD? worth a try?

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Seagate Momentus XT 2.5 500GB

7200 rpm + SSD 4gb

$150 with 5 years warranty in Australia.

According to threads some people are having issues with them, but theres a thread from earlier today and many people haven't had issues with them. I personally can't justify the price for what you get with SSD, in a year or so it will be worth the purchase for me when prices drop dramatically.

This video shows speed tests of the seagate momentus xt compared to SSD, 10 000 and 7200 rpm HD. It really does look promising, also reading the stats about speed from the momentus xt website it looks like good value for money, there is a pdf that maps out the $ value for speed so its worth checking out.

I don't have a Seagate Momentus XT yet but its what i will be buying in the next few days as i currently have a 500gb 5400 hd and for $150 i will get significantly improved speeds. I would love to hear what people who have the Seagate Momentus XT can tell us about real world results and performances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.