Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
Not sure when it exactly started but it's been happening for a good year now..

When I try to click the X to close a tab, window, or anything, 45% of the time I'm trying to click it, it just doesn't work.

I can see that my mouse is hovered over the X, it's showing me the hover state and I can sit there and click all day and it won't close.

Sometimes even if I move the mouse away and try to do it again it won't work so there are times I have to do this 3 times to get the bloody thing to close..

Anyone know why it's doing this?

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
I have no idea why/how this is happening. Imo you could either reinstall OS X or use cmd+w to close windows/tabs and cmd+q to quit apps.

i'm huge on hotkeys but sometimes i've got my chin in my left palm and i just wanna click on the x instead of moving my hand to use the shortcut :( :p

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Does it do it in a new user?

Try opening console and looking at console.log and system.log when the error occurs.

Is it easily re-creatable? Does it do it every time? Does 'Command-W' ALWAYS work?

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
Does it do it in a new user?

Try opening console and looking at console.log and system.log when the error occurs.

Is it easily re-creatable? Does it do it every time? Does 'Command-W' ALWAYS work?

Command W always works yeah. It just happens randomly but often so I can't exactly recreate it on cue. Don't know about the different user thing though, I'm the only user. Will try the console thing.

Edit: Console doesn't respond in any way to it.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I think I know what you mean and it's not specific to just "X" for windows, it also happens when you're trying to close tabs in Safari. What happens is if you "accidentally" click the "x" for either window or a tab it won't register and when you try to click again it still won't close. You have to move the cursor away from the "x" for a few seconds or move the cursor and click anywhere then try to close for it to actually perform a close action.

Last edited:

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Increase your double click speed. Did you decrease your double click speed at anytime?

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
I think I know what you mean and it's not specific to just "X" for windows, it only happens when you're trying to close tabs in Safari. What happens is if you "accidentally" click the "x" for either window or a tab it won't register and when you try to click again it still won't close. You have to move the cursor away from the "x" for a few seconds or move the cursor and click anywhere then try to close for it to actually perform a close action.

Bingo!!

Increase your double click speed. Did you decrease your double click speed at anytime?

Never decreased; if anything I increase it whenever I set up my computers for the first time.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
So it ONLY happens with tabs in Safari and nowhere else?

If so, what version of Safari ?

:confused:

Bah I guess I skimmed it a bit. Guilty.
Happens in Firefox, Safari, Chrome. All browsers/Finder windows. Anything that has an X.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Happens in Firefox, Safari, Chrome. All browsers/Finder windows. Anything that has an X.

Sorry, it happens anywhere in the OS whether it be a Finder window or a browser window. My original post should've read "also", not "only". It's not limited to just Safari, it also happens when trying to close Safari tabs.

I corrected my original post.

I started to notice this after upgrading to Snow Leopard. Also, it's something that I can replicate easily.

Here's a quick video that I made which should explain the problem.
X Video Bug

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth

@iLog.Genius Video won't work for me, I get file not found in the player and "download" option gives me a player that returns the same over and over in a loop.

Unless you feel like doing an archive and install (which won't solve the problem if it's a user plist file or cache file), I would suggest creating a new admin user, and seeing if the problem persists.

Three points:

1. If the problem persists in a new user, then it is likely system related. It could be some kind of third party "haxies" you have installed or even a system cache or plist.

2. If the problem goes away in a new user, then reinstalling the system/applications or any other system-wide action will NOT solve the problem.

3. If the problem goes away (as in point 2), then dragging stuff from the old user to the new user IS NOT the best way to resolve the issue. You can create other headaches with permissions amongst other things.

If the problem goes away (as in point 2), I would usually suggest logging into the "suspect" user and carefully with much due diligence and forethought, dragging half of your "suspect" user's preferences out to a folder on the desktop and logout and login again and re-test.

Folders of particular interest would be

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches
&
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences

Some preference & cache files will be re-created so don't be concerned about over-writing them when putting files BACK to their original location.

Keep going half the files at a time, putting BACK the files if the problem isn't resolved. If the problem goes away, you'll know that ONE of the files you dragged OUT is causing the problem.

It's pain-staking work hence doing half at a time to quicken the process rather than one file at a time.

Unless anybody can tell me that this problem is normal or common, the above should/may/might get to the cause. :eek:

Going out on a limb, I'm looking at universal access or mouse settings being corrupted or set oddly.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
Actually... now that you mention third party it could be TotalFinder that's doing it (alters Finder to add tabs, cut/paste etc.)? If that's the case then I don't mind toughing out this annoyance since TotalFinder is just too key for me; though I will try out the stuff you mentioned. Don't think I'll go as far as reinstalling the OS though.

Thanks!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Actually... now that you mention third party it could be TotalFinder that's doing it (alters Finder to add tabs, cut/paste etc.)? If that's the case then I don't mind toughing out this annoyance since TotalFinder is just too key for me; though I will try out the stuff you mentioned. Don't think I'll go as far as reinstalling the OS though.

Thanks!

Yup, I'd be looking to un-install TotalFinder FIRST, as this is an area it interacts with.

V1.1.11 is current

Let us know if un-install or update fixes it. If the current version doesn't fix it but un-install DOES, you might want to drop the developer an email.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's not TotalFinder or any other third party application. I don't have any that would interfere and I can replicate the problem anytime. It's in the OS.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
It's not TotalFinder or any other third party application. I don't have any that would interfere and I can replicate the problem anytime. It's in the OS.

Is that "I don't have any haxies installed." or "I do have a haxie installed but it shouldn't interfere" ? :confused:

I couldn't load your video (as I posted before). :(

Have you tried a new user account?

I'm also intrigued to find out if the problem goes away for jbyun04 with TotalFinder un-installed.

They may be different causes, since yours seems to be more frequent than jbyun04's.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Is that "I don't have any haxies installed." or "I do have a haxie installed but it shouldn't interfere" ? :confused:

I'm also intrigued to find out if the problem goes away for jbyun04 with TotalFinder un-installed.

They may be different causes, since yours seems to be more frequent than jbyun04's.

I'll upload to YouTube when I have a chance. New user, repairs, nothing works. And I wouldn't say it's more frequent than others. I just happened to know why it's doing it and I can replicate the problem. If you're careful and precise with where you click, you will never run into this problem. Also, I don't have any applications that would interfere like TotalFinder, HyperDock or applications/addons like that.

EDIT: Uploaded video to YouTube.

Close/Exit Bug

Last edited:

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Canada

Not TotalFinder, not new user. Doesn't work.
I'm baffled.

iLog what are you doing to recreate the problem? For me sometimes if I open one tab, highlight some text and open a new tab I can get it to happen, though that's not 100% of the time.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Basically what I'm finding is that there are too many clicks in a very short period of time and I guess the OS is trying to "correct" the second click resulting in not allowing it to register. That's how I've been able to recreate the problem. If you watch my video, you'll see that I "accidentally" mis-clicked the "x" to close the tab and when I correctly place the cursor and try to close, it won't allow me to.

This problem is anywhere in the OS where there are too many clicks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.