Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 27, 2005, 03:02 PM   #1
mowogg
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mowogg
iBook in a Moving Car

I have an iBook and I would like to use it as an in-car DVD player for my kids when we take long trips.
I'm concerned about damage to the HD from the bouncing of the car. With all the talk about putting Mac Minis in cars, I was wondering if anybody had an idea as to whether this would be a problem. I know it's hard to replace the HD in a Mini, and a nightmare in the iBook so I would hate to ruin it bby doing this.

TIA,
Rob
Old Feb 27, 2005, 03:34 PM   #2
crees!
macrumors 68000

I've done work on my PB in a car for 3+ hours. So I wouldn't worry about any of that unless they're playing hot potato with your iBook. If you don't have a car power adapter already you should pick up one.
crees! is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2005, 03:37 PM   #3
ChrisFromCanada
macrumors 65816

I have used my Ibook on various car rides and plane flights (some with lots of turbulance) and it has always been fine. An iBook is meant to handle the light bumpyness of a car so that is fine.

Heck I have even dropped my iBook from about 4 feet on to a hard floor and it was still fine. These things are VERY durable!
30GB iPod Video
Sony DCR-PC105
ChrisFromCanada is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2005, 03:42 PM   #4
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Just put in on something hard which conducts heat (like a baking pan, etc) and put that on something soft that reduces vibration (foam, pillow, etc). Whatever else you do, make sure it's secured so hard braking/acceleration/turning (never know when evasive maneuvers will be required, no matter how you drive) won't throw it around.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 03:43 PM   #5
crees!
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
Just put in on something hard which conducts heat (like a baking pan, etc) and put that on something soft that reduces vibration (foam, pillow, etc). Whatever else you do, make sure it's secured so hard braking/acceleration/turning (never know when evasive maneuvers will be required, no matter how you drive) won't throw it around.
You'll be fine. Just don't go off-roading
crees! is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2005, 03:47 PM   #6
leekohler
Banned

I travel on buses and trains every day with my iBook. It's just fine-it's what it was made for!
leekohler is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2005, 04:10 PM   #7
zyuzin4
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to zyuzin4 Send a message via Yahoo to zyuzin4
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees!
I've done work on my PB in a car for 3+ hours. So I wouldn't worry about any of that unless they're playing hot potato with your iBook. If you don't have a car power adapter already you should pick up one.

where can you get one?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 04:13 PM   #8
ChrisFromCanada
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyuzin4
where can you get one?
Apple Stores, CompUSA, Tons of Online Retailers, eBay
30GB iPod Video
Sony DCR-PC105
ChrisFromCanada is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2005, 04:20 PM   #9
wide
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
But it might get exceedingly hot if you rest it on a pillow (like a 600m). it needs to air out. i had a sony dvd player stacked in a communications closet, and the heat from the other players basically made the sony dvd player useless...it could play for 30-60 minutes, but after that it started to get jumpy.
a dell laptop and a few ipods
wide is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2005, 05:18 PM   #10
mowogg
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mowogg
Thank everybody.

You have allayed my concerns. I was originally cautious because the manual says to put it to sleep when ever you move it. Now, I still walk from room to room with it on, but I didn't know about bumping it around over the highway during a road trip.
I definitely will look at getting a car adapter.

Thanks again!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers