Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueridge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Western NC
ok.. i got order with portenzo and dunno when they will ship so going to try to order one from p&q today.. anyone else.. my wife ordered a treegloo.. i will review and compare when/if they arrive.. just wondering who else is going with the Octavo..

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
ok.. i got order with portenzo and dunno when they will ship so going to try to order one from p&q today.. anyone else.. my wife ordered a treegloo.. i will review and compare when/if they arrive.. just wondering who else is going with the Octavo..

I have one en route. Was shipped yesterday.

tyranocore

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
ordered pad & quill octavo (blue, with pocket) on sunday, shipped tuesday, received today (express shipping).

could not be happier with the octavo - construction quality is excellent and I really like the bound leather they are using for the outside of the case. if anyone was wondering, the case strap covers the camera hole nicely, and the magnet in the cover turns the ipad on like a charm.

any questions about the octavo, just ask!

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
ordered pad & quill octavo (blue, with pocket) on sunday, shipped tuesday, received today (express shipping).

could not be happier with the octavo - construction quality is excellent and I really like the bound leather they are using for the outside of the case. if anyone was wondering, the case strap covers the camera hole nicely, and the magnet in the cover turns the ipad on like a charm.

any questions about the octavo, just ask!

Mind sharing a pic? How about the fold of the cover to type and view horizontal?

ragermac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
wonderful, I changed my mind from the Treegloo for Octavo. (was not fond of the wood).

Please tell us more. How secure is the ipad 2?

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
wonderful, I changed my mind from the Treegloo for Octavo. (was not fond of the wood).

Please tell us more. How secure is the ipad 2?

I like the Treegloo options but the pine wood grains are not typically as good but I guess if properly stained should not matter.

I think I will like the Octavo once it comes and use Treegloo as a potential backup should something bad happen.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Portenzo time frame?

I ordered a Portenzo this morning but then noticed the threads about how hardly any of them had shipped...I wonder how long it will take to get to me. I'm order #7004 lol.

blueridge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Western NC
got blue octavo ordered today.. hopefully i will get shipping notice..

tyranocore.. can you post pics and small review in this thread to help others.. thanks..

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I ordered a Portenzo this morning but then noticed the threads about how hardly any of them had shipped...I wonder how long it will take to get to me. I'm order #7004 lol.

Someone with an order # of 5000 still has nothing. So it might take a while

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Another reviewer on Facebook:

Jeff DeVincent
I got mine today! WOW!
In response I posted the following in the Apple site discussion boards!

My, oh my ... um ... have ANY of you heard of and/or purchased the Pad & Quill Octavo for your new iPad 2?!?!? Well, I sure DID ... and I'm so glad that I did ... it's UNREAL!

What a great FIND! It's another Moleskin-like case on the market of late, however the quality is FAR SUPERIOR to others similar to it (and I own them all)!

The black Italian leather is supple, plush, and realistic; the binding is crafty, tight, and professional ... the woodwork?!? UNREAL! The iPad fits perfectly and tightly into the study hard wood frame in which the design provides full iPad access AND also imparts a new lovely twist ... a FABULOUS sound channel that actually magnifies the sound of the speaker acoustically!

The Octavo is a real feat in my book! Anyone else?!

dereklai.

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Tyranocore, could you post an image of the headphone jack area? that's the only thing that's stopping me from buying it right now... i really need to see how much space there is.

Spitfire411

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
tyranocore posted some pics in the Portenzo thread. They're good shots and made me order one and cancel my Portenzo order.
I think Pad & Quill needs to update their stock photos on their site as they look inferior to the product they're actually shipping. Probably prototype photos...

blueridge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Western NC
moved his pics over here..

opvS6.jpg

PHdDN.jpg

KWaPN.jpg

qoBVB.jpg

uqRHI.jpg

pFaXn.jpg

HNcgR.jpg

these pics should help answer some of your concerns.

1. corners are bound tightly and cleanly, everything looks great and like it will hold up over time. if you were referring to the edges of the wood frame... everything is very very smooth, no rough edges anywhere

2. camera port is drilled smoothly and perfectly round.. brushed out a few specks of leather, obviously left from the drilling process. could stand to move up on the case 1 or 2 mm to center better with the camera, but honestly, you can barely notice this, and the camera is fully functional

3. never had one of these cases before.. dodo, Portenzo, or otherwise, so i cannot comment on this. I will say the frame is very sleek, and the same width as the iPad itself... meaning the iPad screen is flush with the top of the frame when secured in th case.

4. the iPad fits in the frame very very snuggly. there is no chance the iPad is going to come out unless you pry it out and or use the bookmark to assist. yes I did do a shake test, and my iPad didn't budge

5. the sound chamber is great! it actually seems to amplify the sound a bit since with the case, sound is directed towards your ears rather than your lap

everyone, please let me know if you want to see any other shots of the case or have any questions... good luck, and I just want to say I have nothing against Portenzo, and look forward to trying their product one day.

SINphul

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
I like the look of these, but that camera hole and the corners just don't look as polished as the Portenzo notebook. But the customer service and speed of delivery is very appealing with Pad & Quill. Not sure which way to go at this point.

tyranocore

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Mind sharing a pic? How about the fold of the cover to type and view horizontal?

when folding the octavo cover back and laying the iPad horizontally for typing on a flat surface, the case actually does not provide much of an angle... in all honesty, there is almost no inclination.

tyranocore

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Tyranocore, could you post an image of the headphone jack area? that's the only thing that's stopping me from buying it right now... i really need to see how much space there is.

as requested:

http://i.imgur.com/ejVAf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hVMP2.jpg

there is plenty of clearance there... I have tested normal ear bud type straight jacks, as well as a straight jack from a pair of studio headphones (audiotechnica athm50). might have an issue with an "L" type jack..

josun

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
when folding the octavo cover back and laying the iPad horizontally for typing on a flat surface, the case actually does not provide much of an angle... in all honesty, there is almost no inclination.

I think that has to do with the thinness of the iPad rather than the case. I suspect this will be the case for all moleskin type cases.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Edit - what do people use this type case for? looks boxy from pix, maybe they are better in person, this one looks better and thin, I would want nothing to make the ipad considerably bulkier or thick.

Last edited:

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Can't get behind the plywood of this or the Portenzo. Liking Treegloo more and more.

ditto - I still have no answer from any of these companies why they cannot stain the wood darker - Russian birch this....it looks like plywood to me....I'm staining mine when I get it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.