Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:22 PM   #1
canhoto
macrumors member

Alternative to iPhoto and Picasa

I'm looking for a (preferably, but not necessarily, free) alternative to iPhoto and Picasa. This is because;

- I don't like iPhoto; it's nice and it has many features, but I don't like being told by the software where do I have to put my pictures and how do I have to manage it; the software is Apple's, but the pictures (and the computer) are mine
- Picasa is great (I use it on my Macbook), but it's not compatible with PPC, just Intel; and apparently Google isn't very much concerned with PPC's or Universal Binary

So, for me, on Power Mac, the alternative is importing with Image Capture, managing with Finder and editing with a standalone editor (and here there are many good choices); but it's hard to find an all-in-one solution.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by canhoto View Post
...I don't like being told by the software where do I have to put my pictures and how do I have to manage it
You can change that by unchecking this box in iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced:
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced > Copy items to the iPhoto library.png
Views:	34
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	278976
Then you can keep the pics wherever you want them.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:25 PM   #3
canhoto
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You can change that by unchecking this box in iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced:
Attachment 278976
Then you can keep the pics wherever you want them.
Well, I'll maybe try it and give it a second chance...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Kyffin
macrumors 6502

Hasselblad have a free image editing &c. program which might be worth your checking out (named Phocus). You can do a lot with it (some more, some less than iPhoto) and unlike Photoshop it uses your Mac's support for camera image formats so can handle RAW files for most things (if that's what you might want). Downside is that the interface might not be to your liking but thats for you, eh?!

I gather they invested a lot into developing their own software so that they didn't have to share their lens profiles with other parties- the cameras are pretty swish too, NASA's choice since the first launch!

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/products/phocus.aspx
Kyffin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:44 PM   #5
flyfish29
macrumors 68020

Perhaps a shoe box under the bed (not tryin' to tell you where to store them though!)

I guess I don't understand- if you want an all-in-one photo management solution I think to be effective it will need to decide where to store them, how to view and edit them, etc. Is it that you just want the pics stored someplace else?
flyfish29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Kyffin
macrumors 6502

Can you get 1&0's in a box (and wouldn't they weigh too much)?

My guess is that the poster was touching on referenced images a la Aperture. Another alternative could be something like a spreadsheet/database (Chikoo/Bento &c.) which would allow you to link a preview to the image in your viewing/editing default, or to select another).
Kyffin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:45 PM   #7
robgendreau
macrumors 68020

You might try Lyn; not free, but only $10 and it works very well. And super fast.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 07:51 PM   #8
canhoto
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish29 View Post
Perhaps a shoe box under the bed (not tryin' to tell you where to store them though!)

I guess I don't understand- if you want an all-in-one photo management solution I think to be effective it will need to decide where to store them, how to view and edit them, etc. Is it that you just want the pics stored someplace else?
iPhoto eats all the photos into it's iPhoto Library Package. It's not easily accessible from finder. With Picasa you can have the photos where you want (in the Pictures folder arranged by date, for instance), and still manage them, edit them, etc., without loosing the easy access from the finder and decision about where to put them.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store