Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm getting strange graphics corruption occasionally on one or both of my monitors where the graphics get all corrupted. I wish I could take a screen capture but every time I do, the capture comes out perfect despite the graphics/windows/text being jumbled in a blocky mess. (Updated with a photo of the screen)

This only started happening after I updated to 10.6.7. If I reboot I might be fine for 10 minutes or an hour but it eventually comes back and almost certainly if I play multiple videos (eg. 2 or more) in Quicktime on the same monitor at once.

My GPU config consists of...
2x Nvidia GT120 each driving a single 24" LCD ACD via MDP

In googling this issue, I found out there is a known issue with Nvidia drivers with 10.6.7 not supporting Quadro cards...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3740?viewlocale=en_US

That's not my problem, but it is Nvidia driver related, indicating they changed the drivers in 10.6.7. Other's with 320M are complaining of slightly different issues...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13312005

I'm wondering if anyone here with Nvidia cards and 10.6.7 has noticed anything?

UPDATE: I took a chance and installed the NVIDIA drivers mentioned in the Apple KB article here. After some very preliminary testing, I can't seem to recreate the problem. :confused: If this ends up fixing this problem and this is not unique to me I'll be pretty disappointed with Apple's QA process.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    499.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Whaditis

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
So I gather no one else has encountered this? Odd.

I just encountered the same thing last night. I am using 2x GT120 cards using 3 monitors and had to reboot a couple of times.

I have a suspicion that it is flash that's doing this as I was playing a youtube video on one screen while browsing on the other two screens.

Once I rebooted the second time and didn't use youtube it did not come back.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Oh boy! I am so done with graphics cards and Apple. Only trouble. Is there any quality control whatsoever with their software updates? :mad:

Why do we pay the premium for Apple graphics cards?

I do have a GT120 in my system as well, but considering these news, I'm definitely not trying 6.7. Still running 6.3 here cause that's the last version that runs my system.

/rant

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Thanks for this thread VR :)
I've installed these new drivers on my Mini with 320M and its OGL performance increased by about 20% (in comparison to 10.6.7 ones). Installer doesn't want to run, because it's checking model ID, but I've used Pacifist and kextHelper, et voila :) Still it's worse than in 10.6.3, though, but I can live with that.
10.6.7 drivers are completely screwed-up.

Still running 6.3 here cause that's the last version that runs my system.

I didn't want to downgrade OS, so I've done some kext fiddling. Unfortunately seems to be impossible to use 10.6.3 drivers with 10.6.7. Blue or black screens, no matter what kexts mixes I tried :(

Whaditis

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Just installed the new drivers as well thanks to your link and I must say quite an improvement.

Thanks

Whad

colinsky

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks, VirtualRain, the Nvidia drivers solved my MacPro graphics corruption!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Note that this reared it's ugly head again for me after updating to 10.6.8... turns out there's another new NVIDIA Quadro driver that solved the problem...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-macosx-256.02.25f01-driver.html

I wonder why Apple is shipping problematic Nvidia drivers in it's last two OS updates? And I'm also wondering why this is so isolated... only a few people seem to be impacted. Odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.