Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:16 PM   #1
mattraehl
macrumors 6502

external hard drive performance

I am finally getting around to buying an external HD for backups, and I have some questions.

I have an iBook G4 1Ghz, which has a 4200 RPM HD. I am planning on getting a FW400 7200 RPM drive (probably a d2). I was wondering if anyone has a similar set up, and if they could comment what (if any) performance improvment they noticed when booting from a FW400 7200 RPM drive.

AND

I was hoping that it will be possible to have 2 partitions on the drive, one for a bootable osx volume (a copy of my laptop HD), and one for general backup. Have people in general had good experiences with using Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable external volumes? Is it possible to use CCC on an external drive with 2 partitions? If anyone has used other software for backing up bootable voluemes, or just files, I would like to hear aobut it (freeware or not). Finally, does DiskWarrior work on physical drives, or logical drives? (IE would you use it to repair directories on an entire disk, or on a logical volume)

Thanks in advance,
Matt
mattraehl is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:29 PM   #2
slipper
macrumors 65816

Your latency will go down the toilet.

I recommend to not partition your drive. In the event you run out of space in one partition you cant unpartition without reformatting. You can do the exact same thing by just creating separate fodlers within the harddrive.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers