Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1
jdreier
macrumors member

Computers are slow to connect to network / internet

Ok first here's my system setup. All my computers are wired via ethernet cables.

I've got a cable modem Linksys router (wrt54g), thats wired to a 8port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, All the computers are wired into the gigabit switch.

I'm running all mac computers, 2imacs, mac pro, 2 mac minis. The problem happens on all the computers so I imagine its not the computers.

My problem.

Whenever I want to open a new webpage, or connect to a computer it takes my computers a good 2 minutes to "start" a new connection. Its like they are searching for the internet connection. When they do connect, everything runs fine and is fast. It's just the initial process that takes forever.

This happens when i'm trying to connect to the internet, open a new safari window, and when i'm just trying to connect to another computer on the network.

I imagine my problem is somewhere within the linksys router and the 8 port gigabit switch.... but I have no idea what to look at or check. I've gone into the linksys router settings, and everything seems normal.

Anything i'm missing?

Thanks,
jdreier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:54 AM   #2
lythium
macrumors member

Will the switch only do 1000? or will is backpeddle to 100?

speed/duplex mismatches between your linksys and switch will slow you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreier View Post
Ok first here's my system setup. All my computers are wired via ethernet cables.

I've got a cable modem Linksys router (wrt54g), thats wired to a 8port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, All the computers are wired into the gigabit switch.

I'm running all mac computers, 2imacs, mac pro, 2 mac minis. The problem happens on all the computers so I imagine its not the computers.

My problem.

Whenever I want to open a new webpage, or connect to a computer it takes my computers a good 2 minutes to "start" a new connection. Its like they are searching for the internet connection. When they do connect, everything runs fine and is fast. It's just the initial process that takes forever.

This happens when i'm trying to connect to the internet, open a new safari window, and when i'm just trying to connect to another computer on the network.

I imagine my problem is somewhere within the linksys router and the 8 port gigabit switch.... but I have no idea what to look at or check. I've gone into the linksys router settings, and everything seems normal.

Anything i'm missing?

Thanks,
AppleTV
lythium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3
jdreier
macrumors member

The switch is running 1000. Once all my computers are connected everything runs really fast. It's just the initial connecting process that is slow.

It happens when trying to connect within the LAN and to the internet.

I'll try disconnecting the linksys router and see if the LAN connections through the switch still lag, or if they fix themselves.

I wanna say it's because i'm using the super old linksys router connected to my cable modem.... but that doesn't explain the LAN problems. Unless the router and my switch are interfering with each other.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4
jdreier
macrumors member

... yes the switch will backpeddle to 100.

my switch is the NETGEAR ProSafe GS108 8-port Gigabit Desktop Switch
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:58 PM   #5
lythium
macrumors member

i dunno then, it sounds almost like a proxy detection issue or something.
AppleTV
lythium is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking