Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:57 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Adobe Shows Off Photoshop for iPad With Layer Support

As covered by Photography Bay, Adobe yesterday used its keynote address at Photoshop World 2011 to briefly show off a new concept for a Photoshop app for iPad offering support for layers, a significant leap beyond the capabilities found in the company's current Photoshop Express app.

Photography Bay has also posted a brief video of the demo showing how layers can be used on the iPad.

The functionality remains a demo concept with no word on when or if it will make it to a public launch, but Adobe has openly acknowledged that it is looking at ways to support more complex Photoshop functionalities on tablets such as the iPad, and has even shown off concepts for how some of those tools might be implemented.

Article Link: Adobe Shows Off Photoshop for iPad With Layer Support
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2
MacOSXuser
macrumors regular

Adobe finally made something useful on the iOS platform.
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
troop231
macrumors 601

Pretty cool!
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:03 AM   #4
jav6454
macrumors G5

Looks decent. Now, what else do they offer?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:05 AM   #5
handsome pete
macrumors 65816

Very cool. Though I still can't see something like this reaching its full potential without a pressure sensitive stylus.
handsome pete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:05 AM   #6
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Nice

Impressive. I for one think they have something there. Wonder how much farther they will take this.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:05 AM   #7
thedarkhalf
macrumors member

It may be fun for play, but I cant see anything real being done on that. Most high end photo editors wont even use a trackpad/laptop...

Now if they can make it double as a wacom for a desktop and mirror the image form the computer.. now youre talking

And from a user standpoint, having all menus buried and no keyboard shortcuts, you're expanding the time to edit drastically.
thedarkhalf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:10 AM   #8
lloydh
macrumors member

To me it looks like necessary groundwork to bring this kind of functionality to touch devices, but I hope there are people out there who can create a more intuitive interface paradigm than just having a ton of dense pop-over palettes etc.

Good to see Adobe's working on this, though.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:11 AM   #9
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Soon we will only have one OS called iOSX

OSX 10.7 has iOS features that were sent "Back to the Mac"
iOS is getting OSX apps (Photoshop, Garage Band, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Photo Booth.......)
OSX is getting apps originally designed for iOS

If you imagine iOS and OSX on a line

iOS......................|.....................OSX

They are moving in opposite directions toward each other.

......iOS................|..............OSX.......

Eventually, they will meet in the middle and we will have either 2 similar operating systems or simply a mix of the two.

I think Apple thinks that by taking the best of the two worlds they are creating a "better" user experience. I don't know if this is the case but I think that this is clearly the inevitable long-term outcome. Time will tell.
osx11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
Adobe finally made something useful on the iOS platform.
Which is kind of hard on such a restricted and limited platform. There would be more useful software for the iPad if it ran a 'real' operating system like Mac OS X -- meaning full file system access and not being tied into ONE App Store with arbitrary rules for what a program is allowed to do.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:13 AM   #11
norrismantooth
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to norrismantooth Send a message via Yahoo to norrismantooth Send a message via Skype™ to norrismantooth
Does anyone else think this is a desperate attempt by Adobe to stay in the tablet game?

They're making software for a device produced by a company that wants nothing to do with them.

Does the software use Adobe's AIR?
norrismantooth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:13 AM   #12
masterkoga
macrumors newbie

Too novelty like

That is a nice step in the right direction. I would like to see more practical
productivity apps on the iOS platform, but even for on the go conceptual work, this is still pretty much useless for my studio. Needs precision and the touch interface is not the answer. Bring a pen/stylus or similar device to the mix and then we'll talk.
masterkoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:15 AM   #13
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Looks like they put a lot of work into this, very cool.

And in 500 simple hand gestures you can create a vignette!
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:16 AM   #14
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

I'd rather use photoshop on a laptop with a wacom tablet. But lightroom on the ipad-- theres an idea.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:17 AM   #15
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Very Cool demo. Really shows off the true horsepower of the Ipad as well
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:17 AM   #16
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Excellent. I was waiting for photoshop on an iPad. Even if not yet released, they are getting there. Another 2 or 3 years and the iPad will be able to do 99% of everything I use my current Mac for.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Eye4Desyn
macrumors 6502

As a hobbyist photographer, this is welcome news and even more reason to bring my iPad along with me during shoots.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:19 AM   #18
toddybody

neato...now all Apple needs to do is provide higher trace capabilities on their touch panels...then we can have some awesome styluses.
toddybody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:21 AM   #19
HiRez
macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

You post an article about the iPad with video that can't be viewed on an iPad? Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:21 AM   #20
bdkennedy1
macrumors 65816

I wish Apple would come out with their own suite of apps. There hasn't been any competition with Adobe since CorelDraw.
bdkennedy1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:22 AM   #21
acslater017
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx11 View Post
Eventually, they will meet in the middle and we will have either 2 similar operating systems or simply a mix of the two.

I think Apple thinks that by taking the best of the two worlds they are creating a "better" user experience. I don't know if this is the case but I think that this is clearly the inevitable long-term outcome. Time will tell.
If anyone can do it, Apple's the company. They'll take their time, refine it, make it useful, get hardware support, etc.

So far, Microsoft's idea of touchscreen is "the finger tells the cursor where to go". Or HP overlays some terrible "Front Row"ish interface on TOP of Windows.

This is probably at least 3-5 years away if at all. I'm imagining an updated second-gen iMac (sunflower style), with a big iPad-ish display that can go up down, close, far, etc. OS X with mouse when it's far, switches to a touch-optimized view when you bring it close. Or something. My imagination is probably too "inside the box" for this sort of thing.
acslater017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:23 AM   #22
davie18
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrismantooth View Post
They're making software for a device produced by a company that wants nothing to do with them.
Erm, so?

There are a huge number of people that use photoshop on macs...
davie18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:23 AM   #23
Deefuzz
macrumors 6502a

Wow. I like that a lot.

Hopefully it will be priced reasonably.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:24 AM   #24
mikeapple
macrumors member

with tens of millions of iPads sold... Adobe would be stupid not to work hard on making an intuitive powerful Photoshop app for the iPad... very Post-PCish is you ask me
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:25 AM   #25
thatisme
macrumors 6502

It's cool, but totally pointless other than being used as a tech demo.

I fully expect that the control will not be fine enough on the layers / brushes, etc to be acceptable for commercial or even personal use. It's hard enough to select and erase layer parts when using a WACOM tablet on a PC or Mac... Now we do the same thing with fingerpaint precision....
thatisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion