Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

220109-garageband_mac_icon.jpg

While Apple had touted the ability to move projects between its new GarageBand for iPad and the corresponding application for Mac OS X, the two versions were not initially compatible, as GarageBand for Mac has been unable to launch GarageBand projects created in the iPad application.

Apple today addressed that issue with the release of GarageBand 6.0.2 for Mac OS X, a welcome update for users of the iPad application who have been looking to do more advanced editing on their Macs.
This update improves overall stability and addresses a number of minor issues, including the following:

- Support for opening projects imported from GarageBand for iPad.

This update is recommended for all GarageBand '11 users.
The update weighs in at 47.44 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.3 or later.

Article Link: GarageBand 6.0.2 for Mac Brings Support for iPad Projects

vestigo74

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
Calgary, AB
Just updated from Software Update, but when I opened GarageBand and tried to open a .band file from my iPad, it triggered a new 182MB update from within GarageBand.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Ok, now I'm happy. Well, I will be if it works correctly, downloading now.

Just updated from Software Update, but when I opened GarageBand and tried to open a .band file from my iPad, it triggered a new 182MB update from within GarageBand.
Funny, software update did nothing for me, had to go to the AppStore and hit update (193MB and then the 182MB, might as well have just downloaded the entire thing all over again).

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
My update is 193 MB... maybe I was missing one?

I think it's a shame this is considered a page 2 item, it's far more relevant to the mac than Amazonrumors and Googlerumors surely?

Anyway, this is good news, it was beginning to look a bit silly when they'd touted the feature at launch.

Edit: I'm getting the second, 182MB download in GarageBand now... I'm not sure where this 44.7MB figure came from?

Last edited:

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I was just trying to open a .band from my iPad on my Mac and was really disappointed that I couldn't, glad they updated!

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
OMG.....I want to be able to import something i created on Garageband from my iMac "TO" my iPad 2...Not the other way around.......

Can this be done yet? ( i have tried thru itunes/apps/file share and still nothing comes up on my iPad in Garageband...

I simply want to import a backing track that i downloaded to my imac and then into garageband on my iPad.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
.....I want to be able to import something i created on Garageband from my iMac "TO" my iPad 2...
The Mac version has more features (e.g. time signature), so doing that would force it to lose data in the file. Hopefully they'll do it eventually; there is a button in the iPad version for import from iTunes (next to the export). But I wouldn't hold my breath. Currently (when you export from the iPad to iTunes), it creates a new file (different name, same extension) and that file magically does not show up on the iPad.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
My issue is, You cannot import ANYTHING into Garageband for iPad... regardless of the file type..Even if i wanted to jam along with a mp3 or such, it cant be done..

I have been running AUX out on my little mixer into my iPad and recording the backing track in realtime on the iPad, of-course this takes the actual length of the song ( so i have to sit there and wait ) but its the only way to import anything.

If you can import a movie in iTunes ( CREATE iPad version ) then i don't see why the same cannot be done for audio files for garageband

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
...If you can import a movie in iTunes ( CREATE iPad version ) then i don't see why the same cannot be done for audio files for garageband
The export isn't even working for audio files, I tried one (export as aac, has m4a extension), and you get a file (after sync, then "save to" on the app page of iTunes). But only the first note played, then the rest was blank. It is broken, corrupt, fubar.

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
How can you release an app and promote its Garageband and Logic support when it doesn't work! unreal why they didn't fix it before Garageband app was released, did no one ever test it?

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
To be clear, exporting as a garageband file does work now (not as an audio file). So you can play around with the instruments on the iPad, and then edit on the Mac, which is great. But that's pretty much the only workflow that works.

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
My update is 193 MB... maybe I was missing one?
[...]
Edit: I'm getting the second, 182MB download in GarageBand now... I'm not sure where this 44.7MB figure came from?
Over here (mid-09 MB @ 10.6.7) the size of the update was exactly the stated 47.44 MB.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Over here (mid-09 MB @ 10.6.7) the size of the update was exactly the stated 47.44 MB.

Oh, I think I've figured it out. If you update from the app store it is the larger update size, the link to Apple's website has the 47.44 MB update. Was yours via Apple's installer rather than the app store or software update perhaps?

I'm still not sure why the huge difference in file size between the two methods though.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm still not sure why the huge difference in file size between the two methods though.
Software update deals with iLife pre-installed or installed via retail CD. The iLife files are scattered around all places of the hard drive like they are when you install a program on Windows. Some make their way into the App, some are in the Library folder, some are in the OS X folder, etc. Since the the update only needs to replace some of these files with newer versions, the update via Software Update is smaller.

For them who bought iLife over the Mac App Store, the Apps are self contained and only user data (like preferences) and the couple of gigs worth of loops and samples are stored elsewhere. To update on the Mac App Store, due to the app being self contained and not scattered around the hard drive, the entire App is needed to be replaced with an updated version. Hence why it is a bigger download.

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Oh, I think I've figured it out. If you update from the app store it is the larger update size, the link to Apple's website has the 47.44 MB update. Was yours via Apple's installer rather than the app store or software update perhaps?

Software update deals with iLife pre-installed or installed via retail CD. The iLife files are scattered around all places of the hard drive like they are when you install a program on Windows. Some make their way into the App, some are in the Library folder, some are in the OS X folder, etc. Since the the update only needs to replace some of these files with newer versions, the update via Software Update is smaller.

For them who bought iLife over the Mac App Store, the Apps are self contained and only user data (like preferences) and the couple of gigs worth of loops and samples are stored elsewhere. To update on the Mac App Store, due to the app being self contained and not scattered around the hard drive, the entire App is needed to be replaced with an updated version. Hence why it is a bigger download.
Yeah, that seems to be true, I own the retail version of iLife 11 and updated it through Software Update.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
This isn't a fix. Apple stated 'Sharing'. At the moment, I can only get files from my iPad to open up on my Mac. - Not the other way around.

Hopefully this fix will be coming in at a later date.

Does anybody knows any different? Or has anyone else found a temporary workaround?

TiggsPanther

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Hampshire/Surrey, UK
Also awaiting open GB files form Mac on the iPad to finally hit.

In my case, I don't own an iPad. As soon as I heard that there was an iPad version of Garageband, though, it suddenly hit my radar as a potentially useful device. But mainly as a way to be able to work on stuff when away form my Mini. If and when they add what sounds like obvious functionality, I'll be saving up for an iPad. Without that functionality, no need tfor one. It's my personal "Killer App".

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Midi editing on ipad

Well... here's the biggest thing that bugs me about the ipad version of garageband... When you record a midi clip, you can't seem to edit the midi notes themselves! Like you can't edit timing or velocity or pitch... or anything at all for that matter...

But here's the thing: since editing midi is a VERY basic task that even a 486 could do... am I missing something here? Is it really true that garageband for ipad has absolutely NO midi editing?

Can someone confirm or deny this? I ask because I hope I'm wrong, I really hope it IS possible to edit midi on the ipad! :)

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
But here's the thing: since editing midi is a VERY basic task that even a 486 could do... am I missing something here? Is it really true that garageband for ipad has absolutely NO midi editing?

Can someone confirm or deny this? I ask because I hope I'm wrong, I really hope it IS possible to edit midi on the ipad! :)

You are right, at the moment it is not possible to edit note data on the iPad GarageBand. I bet they left it out to make the user interface simple, and to get the product out fast.

Also, I can picture it would be a bit harder to design a touch user interface for editing. There are a few music apps that replicate mouse-based user interfaces and they are a pain in the ass to use.

GarageBand is designed to be more like an instrument that you can play naturally, and then record your playing. If you make a mistake, try again. The smart instruments make it easy to lay down some basic tracks and the keyboard instruments have nice performance tools like the arpeggiator and scales, to help playing just the right notes from the beginning, and discover new things.

So my bottom line is, it's much more fun to create and play music than to "edit MIDI data". And you should consider GarageBand as a musician's quick sketchbook, demo recorder, or an easy backing track composer to jam along with your instrument. Not composer's only software or a professional production tool.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
I agree with most of what you're saying jont-fu (and thanks for the info by the way!). Still, the lack of midi editing annoys me a lot. And it's not even because I like to edit lots of midi, because you're right when you say it's intended to be a musical sketchpad...

But let's say you record a midi clip, and it's PERFECT, sounds AWESOME.... and then you notice there's one little note that's off in it's timing... Easy to fix right? Not on the ipad! :) That's why I find this issue so frustrating. It's something that is both an important feature, and an easy one to fix... and I'm sure other musicians notice this oversight... I really hope they address this in an update or something...! But I gotta say, everything else about garageband for ipad is pretty great! :)

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
But let's say you record a midi clip, and it's PERFECT, sounds AWESOME.... and then you notice there's one little note that's off in it's timing... Easy to fix right? Not on the ipad! :) That's why I find this issue so frustrating. It's something that is both an important feature, and an easy one to fix... and I'm sure other musicians notice this oversight... I really hope they address this in an update or something...! But I gotta say, everything else about garageband for ipad is pretty great! :)

At that situation.. well, as the topic says, just export the project to Garageband for Mac, and there you can edit the notes and finalize your mix :)

Also, I'm not saying that I would not like note editing on the iPad. It's probably coming at some point.

Btw: doesn't Logic open GarageBand files, too? Would this mean it supports iPad projects? At least after a software update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.