Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 28, 2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Omad0n
macrumors regular

Signal not strong enough?

okay so here's another WiFi question. I've found that while at work, there is WiFi access, but the problem is I barely get a signal in the office I've got. At least it would seem that i'm barely getting it. Upon looking in internet connect I find that i do have a signal, and while it's low 2 to 1 bars, it's there. THe issue is that other peopel at work, with windows machines, can access the web just fine, and with just as low of a signal. How come my powerbook can't? Also, why bother having those last 2 bars there if you can't get the net even if you have them? Is there anything that I can do so the mac will still access the net? Like I said it sees a signal, even says I've got one, but it wont let me actually use any web apps. Any thoguhts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:03 AM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

I use the wireless net at campus of UiB and rarely get more than 2 bars. Works fine, even dipping into 1 bar occasionly in some lecture halls. Don't loose the internet connection before it goes down to zero bars (at which point I lose whatever base I'm hanging on, anyway...)
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:44 AM   #3
Omad0n
macrumors regular

So are you saying that something is wrong with my mac then? Cause I def. have the bars but it's not doing me a lick of good.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:55 AM   #4
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

For better or worse, the Aluminum PowerBooks suck for WiFi reception compared to almost any other laptop. I have a client with 2 PowerBooks, line of sight 20 feet from an Airport Express as a repeater (installed because the Airport Extreme B.S. couldn't go 30 feet and through one wall ) and one machine will be stable while the other machine goes from 2 bars to zero.
CanadaRAM is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2005, 01:02 AM   #5
broken_keyboard
Banned

I wouldn't necessarily assume the web access thing is related to the weak signal. Maybe check that you have your company proxy set in the network settings.
broken_keyboard is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2005, 01:06 AM   #6
ham_man
macrumors 68020

Though I have heard that the PBs do have worse reception than the iBooks, I think that the problem may lie in the internet or the router, ie not playing well with your Mac.

If you really think about it, even if your wireless connection is going at a *measly* 1 mbps, that is still more than enough to surf the net, assuming that your net is fine.
ham_man is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2005, 05:02 AM   #7
Omad0n
macrumors regular

Right, all the more reason I'm curious as to what the problem is, and how I might go abotu fixing it. Cause I don't wanna go complain to apple if it's not the computers fault. Like I said, I havea signal, albeit a weak 2 ro 1 bars at work, it's just that it doesn't let me surf the net, while other (windows) computers can with the same weak signal, and they've not had naything done to them other then turning on and connceting.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:25 AM   #8
plinden
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omad0n
Right, all the more reason I'm curious as to what the problem is, and how I might go abotu fixing it. Cause I don't wanna go complain to apple if it's not the computers fault. Like I said, I havea signal, albeit a weak 2 ro 1 bars at work, it's just that it doesn't let me surf the net, while other (windows) computers can with the same weak signal, and they've not had naything done to them other then turning on and connceting.
Are there any other coworkers with Macs you could compare with?

Is your PB is your own? Are the PC users using computers provided by your employer? If so, perhaps the access point has been restricted by MAC address. You should check with your IT department or whoever set up the network. (I had the same problem when adding a PC to my home network - I pissed around for a couple of hours, unable to connect to my own router even though I could see it and I could connect to a neighbor's unsecured AP, before I remembered I had access restricted by MAC address)

Also, take a look at the wireless setup on a couple of the PCs. You may find something that's configured differently from your own.

Anyway, it seems that getting a wireless setup working is still very much a hit-or-miss affair. If you look up reviews of wireless products, there's always 50% really bad and 50% really good because it works immediately for some people but never works for others. Also, it seems to be easier to connect if the access point and the computer wireless card are from the same manufacturer.
plinden is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2005, 03:49 AM   #9
Omad0n
macrumors regular

Fantastic information on the post before mine, I'll take a look at things like mac addresses and such the next time I go in, which will be friday. THanks for giving me some ideas, it's much appreciated.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers