Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Draft
macrumors 6502

WRT54G + Airport Express??

Greetings,

I'm trying to get my WRT54G working with my airport express. I've read all of the articles out there:

http://www.andywismar.com/archives/t...sys_wrt54g_wds
http://ryanschwartz.net/2004/08/05/a...and-the-wrt54g
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/inder/a...rport_e_1.html

I've downloaded the firmware and tried to install it, but it doesn't install. I unzip it, so I'm left with a .bin file, then try to load it, but it gives an error each and every time. After repeated attempts, from both Apples and PCs, I tried upgrading the firmware to a Linksys version downloaded from the Linksys site. This worked without a flaw. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with the Sveasoft version??

Thanks,
Old Mar 1, 2005, 06:59 AM   #2
Draft
macrumors 6502

Nobody has installed thirdparty firmware on this router?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old Mar 3, 2005, 05:34 PM   #3
Draft
macrumors 6502

One more try...

Anyone??
Old Mar 3, 2005, 05:41 PM   #4
rkphoto
macrumors regular

I know how, I just can't remember!

I did this. I'm using the Sveasoft firmware and I was perplexed as to how to load it as well but I ended up figuring it out. Give me a minute and let me see if I can remember how I did it.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 05:58 PM   #5
rkphoto
macrumors regular

I think I remember!

Get into the router admin on your browser (http://192.168.1.1) if you haven't set a password the password is "admin". Go to the "Administration" menu and there should be an option on the top right that says "Upgrade Firmware". Click on that and you'll be prompted to choose a file. Choose the .sit file and see if that works. I spent a long time trying to open the .sit file from my desktop and it wouldn't work but this worked perfectly.

Good luck setting up your network. I used some if not all of the same links you're using and it was pretty difficult and in the end it doesn't work as well as I would have liked. Basically, I have my G5 iMac hooked up to the router which is hooked up to the DSL Modem in my office and my G3 iMac hooked up via Ethernet to the Airport Express in my Stereo closet. The idea was that I would be able to access the internet through the Airport Express to WRT54G bridge and also possibly share (primarily music) files wirelessly between computers. It worked great at first but then went out after 5 or 6 hours and now it seems to work whenever it feels like it, or the wind is blowing in the right direction, I don't know. It still streams music really well although it's basically hardwired (Ethernet to Airport Express to Stereo)Let me know if you have more success, I've been thinking about trying to work out the kinks but haven't had the time.

Best of Luck,
rk
Old Mar 3, 2005, 05:59 PM   #6
csubear
macrumors 6502a

I used OpenWRT, I did something wrong, and now its a brick. I could go in a wire something that would restore the original firmware but don't have time.
csubear is offline   0
Old Mar 3, 2005, 06:05 PM   #7
rkphoto
macrumors regular

In my previous post I said the firmware was a .sit file, it may have been a .bin file. Good Luck! rk
Old Mar 3, 2005, 07:04 PM   #8
Draft
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkphoto
I spent a long time trying to open the .sit file from my desktop and it wouldn't work but this worked perfectly.
Wait, what is "this"?

I tried loading it from the administration util. It gives an error each and every time. It should be a simple firmware upgrade, but it's not...
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:12 PM   #9
Apple
macrumors 6502

This is how I did it with my WRT54GS (Don't Worry -- same config)

As far as firmware goes just make sure that you have the most up-to-date firmware on your router installed. There is no third-party firmware necessary. After doing this, if you want a protected wireless network, make sure you have 128 encryption. Copy down this password for later. (This can be accesed by going into i think wireless setup, then security?) After this, plug your AX where you want it and go into the airport admin utility. From there, select your Airport Express from the menu and click configure in the taskbar. Start out by clicking on the Airport tab (should already be selected), then go down to wireless mode. Choose "Create a Wireless Network (Home Router)" from the menu. Next change the "Name:" part to the name of your previous network. Then click "change wireless security" and choose128 bit WEP and type in the password you copied down. If you know the wireless channel of your 54G then go ahead and select that from the Channel menu. If not, type in 192.168.1.1 (password: admin), and you will be able to figure out the channel from that page. Choose 802.11b/g compatible from the Mode: menu, and then go up and select the internet tab. Choose Connect Using: Airport (WDS). Now go back to your router, click the status tab, and look for MAC address copy this down and go back to the airport admin utility. Under MAC address there, type in the MAC address that you just copied down. Next, check "Also allow wireless network clients". For the IP address you can just use 192.168.1.2, for the subnet mask you can use 255.255.255.0, and for the router address type in 192.168.1.1

Continue on to the Network tab:

Uncheck Distribute IP addresses

Continue on to the WDS tab:

Select enable this base station as Remote Base Station
Check "allow wireless clients on this base station.
Go to main airport ID, and copy down the MAC address you copied down earlier.

If you want airtunes then continue to the music tab:

Check "enable airtunes on this base station"
Then enter your speakers names

TO finish it off press update.

Hope this Helps
Apple is offline   0
Old Mar 4, 2005, 06:34 AM   #10
Draft
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
This is how I did it with my WRT54GS (Don't Worry -- same config)

As far as firmware goes just make sure that you have the most up-to-date firmware on your router installed. There is no third-party firmware necessary. After doing this, if you want a protected wireless network, make sure you have 128 encryption. Copy down this password for later. (This can be accesed by going into i think wireless setup, then security?) After this, plug your AX where you want it and go into the airport admin utility. From there, select your Airport Express from the menu and click configure in the taskbar. Start out by clicking on the Airport tab (should already be selected), then go down to wireless mode. Choose "Create a Wireless Network (Home Router)" from the menu. Next change the "Name:" part to the name of your previous network. Then click "change wireless security" and choose128 bit WEP and type in the password you copied down. If you know the wireless channel of your 54G then go ahead and select that from the Channel menu. If not, type in 192.168.1.1 (password: admin), and you will be able to figure out the channel from that page. Choose 802.11b/g compatible from the Mode: menu, and then go up and select the internet tab. Choose Connect Using: Airport (WDS). Now go back to your router, click the status tab, and look for MAC address copy this down and go back to the airport admin utility. Under MAC address there, type in the MAC address that you just copied down. Next, check "Also allow wireless network clients". For the IP address you can just use 192.168.1.2, for the subnet mask you can use 255.255.255.0, and for the router address type in 192.168.1.1

Continue on to the Network tab:

Uncheck Distribute IP addresses

Continue on to the WDS tab:

Select enable this base station as Remote Base Station
Check "allow wireless clients on this base station.
Go to main airport ID, and copy down the MAC address you copied down earlier.

If you want airtunes then continue to the music tab:

Check "enable airtunes on this base station"
Then enter your speakers names

TO finish it off press update.

Hope this Helps
Wow! Thanks, Apple. I didn't realize that they worked together right out of the box? I'll try it and let you know how it pans out...

Thanks again,
Old Mar 4, 2005, 05:45 PM   #11
Apple
macrumors 6502

Right out of the box, they can, as long as you have the most updated frimware for your linksys.
Apple is offline   0
Old Mar 4, 2005, 06:00 PM   #12
Apple
macrumors 6502

Right out of the box, they can, as long as you have the most updated frimware for your linksys.
Apple is offline   0
Old Mar 9, 2005, 06:56 PM   #13
anothergene
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to anothergene Send a message via MSN to anothergene Send a message via Yahoo to anothergene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
What encrytion are you guys using? I'm trying to get this working with WPA, not WEP and I havn't had any success with either the Linksys or Sveasoft firmware.
anothergene is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers