Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:37 PM   #1
clayj
macrumors 604

iPod Docks <> iPod Protector-Friendly

Well, I just got my iSkin Evo 2 for my iPod Photo this morning... installed it onto the iPod (there's an adventure for you) and found that it now doesn't sit on the iPod dock I bought last week. Since protecting the iPod from harm (which involves NEVER unsealing the protector) is more important than docking it (I can still use the plain ol' cable), that means the dock gets to go back to the Apple Store and I get to pay a re$tocking fee.

Hey Apple, how about making docks that are more "protector-friendly", so we don't have to choose between protecting iPods from harm and being able to dock them?
clayj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 01:51 PM   #2
boneca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayjohanson
Well, I just got my iSkin Evo 2 for my iPod Photo this morning... installed it onto the iPod (there's an adventure for you) and found that it now doesn't sit on the iPod dock I bought last week. Since protecting the iPod from harm (which involves NEVER unsealing the protector) is more important than docking it (I can still use the plain ol' cable), that means the dock gets to go back to the Apple Store and I get to pay a re$tocking fee.

Hey Apple, how about making docks that are more "protector-friendly", so we don't have to choose between protecting iPods from harm and being able to dock them?
I might be wrong here, but I don't think you can find any prot. case for any iPod that you can still using dock without removing the case first.
btw how do you like iSkin case? I just got iPod Photo 30GB and bought leather case for it in CompUsa but don't like it too much.

EDIT: just remember that I had something like iSkin protector for my iPod Mini which I bought in Apple store (see thru one) I used it a bit but then it became dusty so I switched to leather one. I tried to clean that cover with no luck

Last edited by boneca; Feb 28, 2005 at 02:01 PM.
boneca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:24 PM   #3
clayj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca
I might be wrong here, but I don't think you can find any prot. case for any iPod that you can still using dock without removing the case first.
btw how do you like iSkin case? I just got iPod Photo 30GB and bought leather case for it in CompUsa but don't like it too much.

EDIT: just remember that I had something like iSkin protector for my iPod Mini which I bought in Apple store (see thru one) I used it a bit but then it became dusty so I switched to leather one. I tried to clean that cover with no luck
Well, that's what I'm saying. The docks need to be designed so that they are more "protector-friendly".

iSkin case is good so far (very snug, totally covers iPod), with one thing I don't like... I put the thing in my jacket pocket and now it's COVERED with lint. I read somewhere that silicone is a natural dust and crap attractor, and it certainly is.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:39 PM   #4
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

Speck makes a skin that does this:
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:51 PM   #5
Blackheart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Blackheart
I'm a fan of the non-skinned iPod. It's like the car-bra theory. What's the purpose of protecting it from cosmetic damage if you're never going to see it?

In regards to a change in the dock:
1) Changing the dock for 3rd party manufactures is not only cumbersome for Apple, but albeit, against the design of Apple.
2) To which 3rd party manufacturers do you give preferential treatment in the design?
3) Why is it up to Apple to change the dock and not the 3rd party manufactures, their cases? It's like me telling Honda to change the lug configuration on the Civic because some tire company decides to make a 6 lug tire for the Civic.

Great Stickies:
GUIDE: Zap PRAM, Repair Permissions, & run FSCK
GUIDE: Networking Windows with OS X
Guidelines for Getting Help
Blackheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:52 PM   #6
boneca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, that's what I'm saying. The docks need to be designed so that they are more "protector-friendly".

iSkin case is good so far (very snug, totally covers iPod), with one thing I don't like... I put the thing in my jacket pocket and now it's COVERED with lint. I read somewhere that silicone is a natural dust and crap attractor, and it certainly is.
sorry I guess I missread your post. anyway the picture above ^ can be the answer for time beeng.
Yes the Lint is what I was referring as dust, I hated it (you can never totally clean it) this is why I'm stuck with lether one for now.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:56 PM   #7
clayj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'm a fan of the non-skinned iPod. It's like the car-bra theory. What's the purpose of protecting it from cosmetic damage if you're never going to see it?
I'm a fan of not getting my stuff scratched up, especially expensive consumer electronics. Everything I might carry with me, aside from my cellphone*, has a soft carrier to ride in. The iPod, especially with its polished chrome rear surface, is prone to lots of cosmetic damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart
In regards to a change in the dock:
3) Why is it up to Apple to change the dock and not the 3rd party manufactures, their cases? It's like me telling Honda to change the lug configuration on the Civic because some tire company decides to make a 6 lug tire for the Civic.
Well, the current design of the dock and the iPod provides NO allowance whatsoever for anything to come between the dock and the iPod... if some tolerance was built in, perhaps by making the dock's connector flexible enough to be extended out several millimeters, then skinned iPods could still be docked.

* My cellphone always rides in a pants or jacket pocket with nothing hard that might scratch it.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:40 PM   #8
Cybernanga
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Cybernanga Send a message via AIM to Cybernanga
an HP Tattoo, or generic equivalent will protect your iPod from scratches, and still allow Docking.

You can also customise your own design.
Cybernanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:24 AM   #9
Blackheart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Blackheart
Quote:
I'm a fan of not getting my stuff scratched up, especially expensive consumer electronics. Everything I might carry with me, aside from my cellphone*, has a soft carrier to ride in. The iPod, especially with its polished chrome rear surface, is prone to lots of cosmetic damage.
I just did THIS to my iPod. Don't have to worry about scratches and I think it looks nicer anyway.

Great Stickies:
GUIDE: Zap PRAM, Repair Permissions, & run FSCK
GUIDE: Networking Windows with OS X
Guidelines for Getting Help
Blackheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 08:37 PM   #10
waynejepson
macrumors newbie

The Answer

This might be what you are looking for guys ......... (check out this link)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Speck_Flipst...?tag=pdtl-list
waynejepson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 02:10 AM   #11
d00kie
macrumors member

Found this awhile ago:

http://www.listsanddiagrams.com/arch...ipod_stand.htm
Cardboard iPod stand/dock thingy.
d00kie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod