Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 28, 2005, 01:11 PM   #1
sotied
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to sotied Send a message via Skype™ to sotied
iBook screen and ports FEAR

Perhaps I worry too much, but I've got a keyboard protector on my iBook and I'm starting to see faint impressions of the high points of the protector on my screen if I look at the screen from an angle.

If I have "dented" my screen and it starts to interfere with my use of it and my vision, 1 - can I do anything to fix it? 2 - is this covered by AppleCare? 3 - should I seek professional help?

ALSO, I'm a little worried that I sometimes put too much pressure on the Ethernet port on the side of the iBook. If by chance I rip the port out, how easy is it to replace?

Is there some device to keep cables securely in the side of the laptop?

Would this be an AppleCare covered event?

Finally, and this is off topic a little, can I boost the volume on the 'book so that when I have iTunes going I can hear it from across the room? Would I need separate speakers?

Thanks,

Jeff
sotied is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotied
If I have "dented" my screen and it starts to interfere with my use of it and my vision, 1 - can I do anything to fix it? 2 - is this covered by AppleCare? 3 - should I seek professional help?
Hehehe, maybe professional therapy. Well, I don't think you've dented your screen. Are you sure that you aren't seeing grease / smudges on your screen from the keyboard? Have you tried cleaning the screen?

Quote:
ALSO, I'm a little worried that I sometimes put too much pressure on the Ethernet port on the side of the iBook. If by chance I rip the port out, how easy is it to replace?
From what I've heard, there have been a couple of people who've done this, and it is *VERY* expensive to replace, because it basically amounts to a motherboard replacement (not a serviceable part).

Why are you putting so much pressure on it? I don't know of anything to lock the cables in, but what about (if you're really paranoid), doing the opposite? Break the locking tab off the ethernet cable. That way, it'll become a breakaway port -- if you yank it too hard, the cable will just pull out.

I don't know too much about Applecare, but I suspect all the things you're describing fall into abuse of equipment as a category, and they're unlikely to be covered.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 01:24 PM   #3
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Why are you putting so much pressure on it? I don't know of anything to lock the cables in, but what about (if you're really paranoid), doing the opposite? Break the locking tab off the ethernet cable. That way, it'll become a breakaway port -- if you yank it too hard, the cable will just pull out. (
Good solution!

I did that to my Cables when i gave my crappy windows laptop to my lil' sister. It made sure no damage was done.

kyle
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2005, 01:28 PM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieonasses
I did that to my Cables when i gave my crappy windows laptop to my lil' sister. It made sure no damage was done.
LOL, somewhere, I have one that became that way by accident, and after a while, using it at work, with people yanking on it and tripping over it, I started to think, hey, this is kind of nice. (Not that getting a new laptop because of their clumsiness wouldn't also have been nice! )

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers