Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotied

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
Perhaps I worry too much, but I've got a keyboard protector on my iBook and I'm starting to see faint impressions of the high points of the protector on my screen if I look at the screen from an angle.

If I have "dented" my screen and it starts to interfere with my use of it and my vision, 1 - can I do anything to fix it? 2 - is this covered by AppleCare? 3 - should I seek professional help?

ALSO, I'm a little worried that I sometimes put too much pressure on the Ethernet port on the side of the iBook. If by chance I rip the port out, how easy is it to replace?

Is there some device to keep cables securely in the side of the laptop?

Would this be an AppleCare covered event?

Finally, and this is off topic a little, can I boost the volume on the 'book so that when I have iTunes going I can hear it from across the room? Would I need separate speakers?

Thanks,

Jeff

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sotied said:
If I have "dented" my screen and it starts to interfere with my use of it and my vision, 1 - can I do anything to fix it? 2 - is this covered by AppleCare? 3 - should I seek professional help?

Hehehe, maybe professional therapy. :p Well, I don't think you've dented your screen. Are you sure that you aren't seeing grease / smudges on your screen from the keyboard? Have you tried cleaning the screen?

ALSO, I'm a little worried that I sometimes put too much pressure on the Ethernet port on the side of the iBook. If by chance I rip the port out, how easy is it to replace?

From what I've heard, there have been a couple of people who've done this, and it is *VERY* expensive to replace, because it basically amounts to a motherboard replacement (not a serviceable part).

Why are you putting so much pressure on it? I don't know of anything to lock the cables in, but what about (if you're really paranoid), doing the opposite? Break the locking tab off the ethernet cable. That way, it'll become a breakaway port -- if you yank it too hard, the cable will just pull out. :D

I don't know too much about Applecare, but I suspect all the things you're describing fall into abuse of equipment as a category, and they're unlikely to be covered. :(

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
mkrishnan said:
Why are you putting so much pressure on it? I don't know of anything to lock the cables in, but what about (if you're really paranoid), doing the opposite? Break the locking tab off the ethernet cable. That way, it'll become a breakaway port -- if you yank it too hard, the cable will just pull out. :D(
Good solution!

I did that to my Cables when i gave my crappy windows laptop to my lil' sister. It made sure no damage was done.

kyle

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jackieonasses said:
I did that to my Cables when i gave my crappy windows laptop to my lil' sister. It made sure no damage was done.

LOL, somewhere, I have one that became that way by accident, and after a while, using it at work, with people yanking on it and tripping over it, I started to think, hey, this is kind of nice. :) (Not that getting a new laptop because of their clumsiness wouldn't also have been nice! :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.