Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hi,
I need to upgrade my MacBook 5,1 2GHz that currently has 1x2Gb RAM and 160Gb HDD.
I do not really need to make it right now but I wonder if prices will change a lot in 5 months time.
I either do it now, or in the end of August.
What do you guys think?
The price of 2x4Gb RAM will change a lot over thar period?
And the HDD, 500Gb, 750Gb or 1TB, will it have a big drop in price?
Hope someone can give me some prespective on this.
Thanks a lot.

catracho

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
You should be ok updating the HD to 500gb 7200rpm and the RAM to 4GB

I have your same MacBook and I did that update. It works very well.

If you plan to update to Mac OS X Lion in the future, I suggest update the RAM to 8GB. It will keep the system fresh for two more years.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I want to have 5400rpm and 8Gb.
The question is, will I save a lot of money if I wait until August or will it just be some little savings?

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Alright then.
Is it newegg the best place to buy or can I get some better deals somewhere else?
Can be US or European store.

Shocked

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
I might get hell for this, but check ebay. I had my HDD Crash on my late 2009 macbook (white unibody) I bought a BRAND NEW WD 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive for 44bucks. and mint shape 4GB DDR3 ram for 20 bucks. They both run great and saved quite a bit.

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
If I were looking to upgrade the MacBook5,1, I'd be interested in putting a faster HDD in it as well. I recommend either the Seagate Momentus Hybrids or a Western Digital Scorpio Black if you don't want to spend the bucks to go SSD. Newegg probably has both cheaper than most online.

As for the RAM, try Other World Computing (http://www.macsales.com). They have a trade-in offer that they'll take your old RAM toward the purchase of new. If you're not planning on doing much with the older modules, at least you can get a few bucks out of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.