Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:58 AM   #1
igal27
macrumors newbie

Problem connecting iPod to wifi network with Time Capsule

I have a home wifi network set up with a Time Capsule (v. 7.5.2; simultaneous dual-band, 2.4 & 5 GHz, radio mode 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n, set up on radio channels 157 for 5 GHz and 1 for 2.4 GHz, security mode WPA2 Personal; MAC address access NOT enabled).

I normally connect to it only with my Mac (MacBook Pro 15" Core2Duo), without any problems. I've also connected to it with another Mac, and two PC notebooks, without any problem. I've also had 2 people connect to it with their iPhone 4's -- also no problem.

Now, however, 2 people came over with 1 iPhone 4 and 2 iPods (one 3rd gen and one 4th gen). The iPhone connected no problem, but neither of the iPods were able to get a valid connection. To be precise, they found the network and were able to connect, but both received a 169.xxx IP (while the Mac and iPhone received proper IPs). Consequently, the iPods were unable to access the internet…

I tried resetting the network settings on the iPods, and also restarting the router -- without connecting the Mac or iPhone to the router (i.e. such that the iPods would be the first devices to connect to it, in case the problem was too many devices connected at once). I also tried changing the radio channels of the Time Capsule (although that shouldn't be the problem, since the iPods DO manage to connect to the wifi network) -- all to no avail…

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions anyone may have! Thank you.
igal27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Paradigm
macrumors member

IPod touch, iPhone 3G & 3Gs connect using the 2.4Ghz frequency. All Core2Duo Macs can connect to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequency. I have 2Tb Time Capsule as my wifi router and 1st Gen 500Gb Time Capsule extending the 5Ghz network and an AirPort Express extending my 2.4Ghz. iPod touches and the iPhone 3Gs connect to the 2.4Ghz WPA2 secured and all my Macs, iPhone 4, and iPad 2 connect to the 5Ghz WPA2. I used a 13 character password for both frequencies. 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen iPod touches all connnect once they discover the network and type the password in, and press connect, to the 2.4 Ghz frequency. I have never had an issue from any hardware connecting to either network. Wii, PS3, Samung and Yamaha blu-ray players.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking