Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deco13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
okay i am so desperate for a decent mac First Person Shooter game that has online gameplay! I know that alot of people want these types of games for mac too. I have cod 4 and its great but im getting bored of playing it for 3 years. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME A GOOD ONE!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Bootcamp, you can play any game with windows then. ;)

Give it a try. Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with a few games, but then again, I don't think Apple had playing games in mind when they were designing macs, but you can play some games which is good. I prefer Rome: Total War. :)

xcreet

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
Melbourne, Victoria
Get Steam. There are some great games on there and often specials too. Some of my favs are:
- Half Life 2 (and all the episodes). There is some hilarious times to be had on both Team Fortress and Half Life 2 Deathmatch. Don't forget about Portal too! Yes I know these aren't really new titles, but I still recon HL2 is one of the best FPS games ever made.
- Left For Dead
- Portal 2 comes out later this month

If you want hecticly fast paced FPS on the mac, a great title is QuakeLive. You only need to install a small plugin into a supported browser (most are supported), create an account and away you go!

This should keep you entertained for a while.

Hope this helps,

Xcreet

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Popular online Mac shooters?

Counter Strike Source
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead 2

Have fun.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
The Valve stuff is great.

Borderlands is also lots of fun online.

Splinter Cell Conviction allegedly has multiplayer, but I have been unable to connect.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Bootcamp, you can play any game with windows then. ;)

Give it a try. Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with a few games, but then again, I don't think Apple had playing games in mind when they were designing macs, but you can play some games which is good. I prefer Rome: Total War. :)

Yea, like this guy said use Bootcamp. Apple hasn't done much with gaming on the Mac until very recently (the last two years really), so things like graphics drivers, OpenGL, and graphics hardware have some catching up to do (but at least they're putting some effort into it now)

okinoki

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Call of Duty 2 (mp still not dead yet)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (mp pretty dead :(:()
Quake Live

To be honest Steam for mac is a joke. I got a early intel imac@dual 2,16GHz, so it's a pretty old one. Nevertheless it should be running CS:S without problems, but i have huge lags even on low settings - same with Portal 1. Playing with Bootcamp is smooth. If your comp is a more powerful one you may like to try steam for mac.

Get StarCraft 2!

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Right now I am rocking Left for Dead 2 and Bioshock on my 2007 iMac. It was hardly the high-end for graphics back when I bought it but the games run fine on it. Don't listen to everyone saying that you need Windows on Boot Camp; buy the Mac versions to help the Mac games industry thrive now that Steam and the App Store exist on our platform.

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Right now I am rocking Left for Dead 2 and Bioshock on my 2007 iMac. It was hardly the high-end for graphics back when I bought it but the games run fine on it. Don't listen to everyone saying that you need Windows on Boot Camp; buy the Mac versions to help the Mac games industry thrive now that Steam and the App Store exist on our platform.

Better idea:

Buy games for Mac that you can

Buy CrossOver Games for the ones you can't.

Serves me well enough. :apple:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Folks, trolls are usually to lazy to make a real user name, so when you see a name with number in it, don't take the bait.

This thread is from a one post newbie who never came back as that character.

Jomskylark

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
Valve makes good games for the Mac. You'll have to download Steam and pay a bit of money, but they're worth it. Look for:
- Counter-Strike: Source ($20 USD)
- Team Fortress 2 ($10 USD)
- Left 4 Dead 2 ($20 USD)
- Day of Defeat: Source ($10 USD)
- Half-Life 2: Deathmatch ($5 USD)

Some free FPS games I like:
- Urban Terror
- Sauerbraten
- Quake Live (in browser)
- Halo: Combat Evolved (demo is free, you'll have to pay for full)

Call of Duty series (1, 2, 4) is good too. They are each available in the Mac App Store, but you can get them on Amazon for a lot cheaper.

I'll also take this opportunity to mention Bitfighter, it's not first person but it is a shooter and a lot of fun. Up to 128 players, built-in level editor, 100% free.

Every game I listed has online multiplayer capabilities.

Last edited:

Costa Del Sol

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Definitely go for Steam for Mac, some say it's a joke but it's been getting better and better.

It's a goldmine, also I love their policy of selling native OS X games only. This'll also encourage developers.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Ya know I've never gotten Wineskin to get my games working properly.

I guess you get what you pay for though.

yep, its definitely for the more advanced level... I plan to try to make more user friendly methods, but there just so much I can do by myself. If I had a team dedicated to making wrappers for specific games that were well done and supported, it would be great, as people could just click the game they wanted to play and have it done for them instead of having to figure it all out themselves. Portingteam.com works in the way somewhat, since people who have a lot of experience putting together wrappers make and share wrappers that are ready to go, but its a pretty loose community, and not really super focused on anything.

voigtstr

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
do yourself a favour, set up bootcamp and install windows 7. You can then play anything and generally at better speed. If playing games on OS X they are often run in Cider which emulates a windows environment on the mac (and slows the game down in the process when compared to games run natively in Windows).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.