Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Seems like the iPad frenzy has died down a bit in the forum. I was able to get an iPad 2 when Ihnatko tweeted of good stock a few weeks ago but was wondering if Apple is still doing the 9AM sales? I wanted to go return my iPad for a different model but was told of no stock still.

Is Apple still doing 9AM sales and is it coming in good amounts at your stores?

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Talked to an employee yesterday, and at my store at least (Brea, CA), resellers are still coming out in full force lining up as early as 9pm the previous day.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
sigh...you'd think the international launch would make them back off.

On a sort of related note, when I return my iPad how do I make sure my data is securely erased off the iPad?

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Just go to settings, then reset. Select "Erase all content and settings". That completely wipes everything off and puts the ipad back to the connect to itunes screen.

imacuser1

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
Hi, official iPad 2 scalper here. I can tell you the only scalpers left are the "wannabes" who are trying to flip them on eBay but don't do the eBay and paypal fee math. The "wannabes" are very late to the game. Look on eBay for proof. I've seen multiple auctions where the seller will lose $50-$90 on the iPad 2 they sell.

You don't need to show up at 5am, but you still need to show up at least 1 hour before the store opens.

I am no longer scalping iPad 2's because te scalping market is over and has been over since the international launch.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Hi, official iPad 2 scalper here. I can tell you the only scalpers left are the "wannabes" who are trying to flip them on eBay but don't do the eBay and paypal fee math. The "wannabes" are very late to the game. Look on eBay for proof. I've seen multiple auctions where the seller will lose $50-$90 on the iPad 2 they sell.
I thought about trying to scalp one but did the math prior to international launch and would make barely any money due to the high sales tax here (somewhere past 9.5%) and greedy Ebay's horrendous listing and final value fees. Final value fees used to be MUCH lower say 10 years ago. (I still have some calculation spreadsheets from stuff I sold on Ebay back then and further back.)

The people who have a better chance of making any profit by scalping on Ebay would be those who got their iPad 2s in sales tax free states (like OR) or those who were able to get one early enough from out of state, to avoid sales tax.

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
When I went to get mine this past Friday, I got there at about 7:45 am. There were maybe 20 people ahead of me, and everyone seemed to get what they were looking for, even with some people buying 2. There were still vouchers left when I got out of the store about 9:30.

This is in suburbs of Chicago..hopefully it's signalling that there's at least a little bit of easing in the supply chain!

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
sounds like good news! I will try the GSP mall on Tuesday and see how stock goes.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
They are still opening an hour early (9 am). The earlier you arrive the better chance you have of getting what you want. If you have a morning off and you're really serious about getting the right one for you, you may consider still showing up as early as 7 am.

KingOfScalpers

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
It also depends on which model your looking for. 3G ATT are still hard to find. I have a Eastern European guy that I supply and he's paying $60 over cost for each iPad. So yeah get up early if its a ATT model your looking for.

imacuser1

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
It also depends on which model your looking for. 3G ATT are still hard to find. I have a Eastern European guy that I supply and he's paying $60 over cost for each iPad. So yeah get up early if its a ATT model your looking for.

Dang it, I wish you haven't said that lol, less competition in the mornings. Been flipping them also to a indian guy. I am now over $6500 profit total since launch. Been using multiple eBay accounts of friends. Damn eBay policy...

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
When I went to get mine this past Friday, I got there at about 7:45 am. There were maybe 20 people ahead of me, and everyone seemed to get what they were looking for, even with some people buying 2. There were still vouchers left when I got out of the store about 9:30.

This is in suburbs of Chicago..hopefully it's signalling that there's at least a little bit of easing in the supply chain!

yeah I went to the Old Orchard store in Skokie, IL a couple times over the weekend. Didn't get there early but I got there around noon one day and 3pm the next and they still had some Verizon's left by then.

My online order should ship this week so I've pretty much stopped. Good luck everyone!

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I as well am finished scalping even though I know I can get $60 each iPad from one guy who goes everyday. It's not worth it anymore, there are still 150+ people in line every morning here.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Dang it, I wish you haven't said that lol, less competition in the mornings. Been flipping them also to a indian guy. I am now over $6500 profit total since launch. Been using multiple eBay accounts of friends. Damn eBay policy...

That's all you've made since launch? Waiting in line for hours in the morning, fooling with multiple ebay accounts, trips to the post office, etc. Seems like you would want to make more than that for the investment. Guess everyone's time is more valuable than others.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
That's all you've made since launch? Waiting in line for hours in the morning, fooling with multiple ebay accounts, trips to the post office, etc. Seems like you would want to make more than that for the investment. Guess everyone's time is more valuable than others.

I'd say that $6500 in three weeks is good money. Your not really doing work and how hard is it to wait in line? You could sleep the whole time really.

KingOfScalpers

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
That's all you've made since launch? Waiting in line for hours in the morning, fooling with multiple ebay accounts, trips to the post office, etc. Seems like you would want to make more than that for the investment. Guess everyone's time is more valuable than others.[/

You think that's hard, try running a business.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I'd say that $6500 in three weeks is good money. Your not really doing work and how hard is it to wait in line? You could sleep the whole time really.

6500 in three weeks is ~10 000 a month. Assuming no income tax is paid then it is sort of ok. With a real job of course you have that + healthcare + benefits + "job security". So for a short term "bonus" it's nice but nothing to lose your job for. If you're a student or unemployed its ok.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
6500 in three weeks is ~10 000 a month. Assuming no income tax is paid then it is sort of ok. With a real job of course you have that + healthcare + benefits + "job security". So for a short term "bonus" it's nice but nothing to lose your job for. If you're a student or unemployed its ok.

I have a "real job" and I certainly don't make $10k a month. :)

Bartman01

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008

Is that after you have paid all of your self-employment taxes and business fees?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.