Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does Steam Work For You In 10.7 ??

• Total voters

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Update Post:

Thanks to stevemr123
Steps to get Steam working on Lion 10.7
don't be scared

TRY JUST THIS FIRST!!
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/.crash

ok so you're like man Lion is sweet, but Steam doesn't work. It just launches and hangs there bouncing forever in the dock.
Have NO FEAR!11!!!one!

Step 1: This will unhide your library folder so you can get to the Steam folder (we need to delete it)
Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.32.35_PM.png

Step 2: Follow the path like so. Delete the whole Steam folder, that's what it took for me. (WARNING: You will lose all your downloaded games, so it will be download central for you after)
Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.33.57_PM.jpg

Step 4: Open Steam back up, Voila
Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.36.52_PM.png

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Just wait for Valve to fix it. Since this Valve we are on about, it is guaranteed to be late. Go back to Snow Leopard or play something else in the time being.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
And valve will only fix it when Lion is released to the public - They're not going to fix steam for Lion now so that a few people with dev previews can use it :rolleyes:

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
And valve will only fix it when Lion is released to the public - They're not going to fix steam for Lion now so that a few people with dev previews can use it :rolleyes:

I guess I don't understand what Lion would do to break Steam.

Tharian

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
It was working for me on preview 1. At least, I downloaded and installed Steam, and then downloaded and played Civ 4.

I haven't tried it in preview 2 yet.

-d

edit: Ah, I think you meant you can't play online with Steam. I didn't try that so I suppose you can disregard my testimony.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
It was working for me on preview 1. At least, I downloaded and installed Steam, and then downloaded and played Civ 4.

I haven't tried it in preview 2 yet.

-d

edit: Ah, I think you meant you can't play online with Steam. I didn't try that so I suppose you can disregard my testimony.

Yea try it with two. I am going to reinstall it one more time and see what happens, it was very strange however that the first time Lion booted after it installed, Steam changed to auto start at login.

Tharian

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
I sense that you're not a developer then. Meaning you have bought the Developer Preview for consumer use. Which is a rather daft thing to do.

Why all the scolding? Does his downloading the preview affect you in any way?

E-thugs are my favorite kind of thug! Because they're all so big, bad and scary :roll eyes:

-d

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm hardly bullying. I just don't see the attraction for paying for buggy previews if you have no reason to use them. If it was free, then yeah, why not if you have an afternoon free and a burning curiosity to try out an early version of Lion. But to pay for something which causes nothing but computer use headaches? I don't get it.

Each to their own I guess.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
I'm hardly bullying. I just don't see the attraction for paying for buggy previews if you have no reason to use them. If it was free, then yeah, why not if you have an afternoon free and a burning curiosity to try out an early version of Lion. But to pay for something which causes nothing but computer use headaches? I don't get it.

Each to their own I guess.

If it makes you feel better I didn't pay for it.

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
日本
Steam never worked for me anyway, past the first month or so of its release for Mac.

Just keeps saying "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Since Steam offers no phone number or email for support it's been this way for ages. I've just given up and become a bitter anti-Steam-ist. I'm hoping the Mac App Store will crush it out of existence.

Attachments

• SteamOnline.png
    SteamOnline.png
    36 KB · Views: 184

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Steam never worked for me anyway, past the first month or so of its release for Mac.

Just keeps saying "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Since Steam offers no phone number or email for support it's been this way for ages. I've just given up and become a bitter anti-Steam-ist. I'm hoping the Mac App Store will crush it out of existence.

Don't think that will ever happen. HL2, TF2, Portal and CSS are all Valve games that I'm sure they would never make available in the app store. Those 4 games alone will keep Steam for Mac alive.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Don't think that will ever happen. HL2, TF2, Portal and CSS are all Valve games that I'm sure they would never make available in the app store. Those 4 games alone will keep Steam for Mac alive.

Unfortunately I +1 this. Steam was a godsend when it first came to Mac, but quickly became sour when porting houses boycotted it. I think the Mac App Store will easily win Steam, but Steam will still and always be needed for Valve games.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Unfortunately I +1 this. Steam was a godsend when it first came to Mac, but quickly became sour when porting houses boycotted it. I think the Mac App Store will easily win Steam, but Steam will still and always be needed for Valve games.

I like steam for my games better than the app store for the game management and social facilities :D

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
That's still piracy.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how accepting a gift of sorts from somebody would add up to being a pirate.

An effort to keep on topic: I'm not much of a gamer at all, but all of this talk is making me want to try out Steam (for Snow Leopard, for the time being, I guess). Also, I started trying OnLive streaming gaming a few months ago and I've been really impressed about that. Last I tried, it was working for me in Lion. I personally think that there's enormous possibility in that kind of service (OnLive) and I hope that it takes off and becomes more popular and continues to improve and all of that.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Not going to happen, and that's for the better. Steam offers better prices (especially for Americans, and even moreso when there's large sales), a unified interface for communicating with friends and playing games with them, and for some games there's Steamplay, which is quite nice.

I guess you never bothered checking Steam's forums (and you're wrong, I've emailed them for support before) for help, eh?
As far as Steam under 10.7 goes, I'd wait until Apple officially releases Lion to try. Less buggy, real support, and who knows what else.

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Steam hangs frequently, especially if you put it into background. When Steam is in the foreground, and periodically I click on something, it does not hang. When it hangs however, it cannot be restarted, the Steam icon only goes on bouncing forever. There is no any log entry in steam.log indicating any problem though.

Here is what I do if Steam hangs:

1. Go to ~/Library/Steam (/Users/USER/Library/Steam)
2. Copy the SteamApps folder (which contains the downloaded games) to the Desktop
3. Purge the contents of the Steam folder entirely
4. Copy back the SteamApps folder
5. Restart Steam

After restarting steam, I have to enter my username+pass, and accept the confirmation email. Then Steam runs an integrity check on the SteamApps folder, and syncs the savegames from the cloud, and bing, I can play again.

If Steam hangs during downloading a game, the same procedure can be done, Steam verifies the partially downloaded files, and continues downloading.

Valve games (like Portal) work perfectly in Steam, but some of my third party games (like World of Goo, VVVVV) crash upon launch.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Steam hangs frequently, especially if you put it into background. When Steam is in the foreground, and periodically I click on something, it does not hang. When it hangs however, it cannot be restarted, the Steam icon only goes on bouncing forever. There is no any log entry in steam.log indicating any problem though.

Here is what I do if Steam hangs:

1. Go to ~/Library/Steam (/Users/USER/Library/Steam)
2. Copy the SteamApps folder (which contains the downloaded games) to the Desktop
3. Purge the contents of the Steam folder entirely
4. Copy back the SteamApps folder
5. Restart Steam

After restarting steam, I have to enter my username+pass, and accept the confirmation email. Then Steam runs an integrity check on the SteamApps folder, and syncs the savegames from the cloud, and bing, I can play again.

If Steam hangs during downloading a game, the same procedure can be done, Steam verifies the partially downloaded files, and continues downloading.

Valve games (like Portal) work perfectly in Steam, but some of my third party games (like World of Goo, VVVVV) crash upon launch.

This is on Lion this works?
Edit:
yes this works.

New computer so SteamGuard kicks in.
Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.23.15_PM.png

And voila:

Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.24.02_PM.png

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Not going to happen, and that's for the better. Steam offers better prices (especially for Americans, and even moreso when there's large sales), a unified interface for communicating with friends and playing games with them, and for some games there's Steamplay, which is quite nice.

I guess you never bothered checking Steam's forums (and you're wrong, I've emailed them for support before) for help, eh?
As far as Steam under 10.7 goes, I'd wait until Apple officially releases Lion to try. Less buggy, real support, and who knows what else.

Yes, the app store apps are monstrously overpriced - Apple should drop the prices to make it more popular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.