Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgrove03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Just updated to the 4.3.1 jailbreak and restored all my apps. Only my Black UPS theme didnt work and now when going into cydia i get a load of errors saying that it has failed to fetch the repo's?

Is this just them updating? Or have i done something wrong?

2a5c09ee.jpg

poose22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
Just updated to the 4.3.1 jailbreak and restored all my apps. Only my Black UPS theme didnt work and now when going into cydia i get a load of errors saying that it has failed to fetch the repo's?

Is this just them updating? Or have i done something wrong?

2a5c09ee.jpg

i have the same exact problem

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
It'll be the servers getting slammed, with the whole world trying to download stuff from Cydia right now. It happens every time a new jb is released.

They were working ok earlier today when I tried, but now nothing seems to be working (presumably because most of the US has now gotten out of bed and is logging on).

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
It can't be it... the repos must have something different/wrong on them...

I mean... otherwise in one of the 200th time that I have tried, they would have updated at least one of them... they are all failing.

poose22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
I was able to fix the issue. If you guys had used pkgbackup, the repos may have been merged or installed wrong from the backup. I ended up going back to Pkgbackup and restored all the repos from pkgbackup--except for the ones giving the 404 errors. I unchecked everything from the restore page except the repos so nothing else would be restored a 2nd time. I had Pkgbackup Overright the repos when it retored again. I then went to Cydia's main page, then went to "More Package Sources" and reinstalled the 3 repos listed. When they were reinstalling, I got some errors, but when letting Cydia load and checking the sources again, they're now working. Everything works fine for me now. Hope it will for all of you too.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Interesting idea. I used the "merge sources" function in PkgBackup because I had no idea which way to go. I guess I lost that coin flip! I seem to have most of my repos installed fine however, with a few messy ones still. Should work itself out over time.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
There is no way to delete the repos... at least the stock ones.. how do you readd them? I am going to restore again to do so.

poose22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
I was able to fix the issue. If you guys had used pkgbackup, the repos may have been merged or installed wrong from the backup. I ended up going back to Pkgbackup and restored all the repos from pkgbackup--except for the ones giving the 404 errors. I unchecked everything from the restore page except the repos so nothing else would be restored a 2nd time. I had Pkgbackup Overright the repos when it retored again. I then went to Cydia's main page, then went to "More Package Sources" and reinstalled the 3 repos listed. When they were reinstalling, I got some errors, but when letting Cydia load and checking the sources again, they're now working. Everything works fine for me now. Hope it will for all of you too.
I stated how they can be reinstalled. When clicking More Package Sources, it lists the BigBoss and 2 other sources at the top. When you click it, it asks to add them. Try that. even if you cant remove the repos before doing this, just re-add them anyways. It will work.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
I TRIED... they were still broken.. hence why I asked how it could be done manually... :(

already restored anyways... synching... will jailbreak in a few.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
I stated how they can be reinstalled. When clicking More Package Sources, it lists the BigBoss and 2 other sources at the top. When you click it, it asks to add them. Try that. even if you cant remove the repos before doing this, just re-add them anyways. It will work.

I do not see this option in Cydia. Can you tell me exactly where it is? I'd like to not have to restore. Thanks!

stlblufan

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
New York City
Tagging along on this one--mine are all messed up too. I can't even add repos that I know are okay, or the cydia.pushfix.info repo. I keep getting 404 errors. Frustrating!

Baggy Spandex

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Mine are duplicated and I'm getting the same errors. I have duplicate entries for ModMyI, ZodTDD and BigBoss. Only one of each contains packages, the others empty.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I believe it is the servers getting slammed. Overnight I had few if any issues. Midday, all hell breaks loose.

Then again, I noticed that I have two versions of at least three standard repos (Saurik's, Big Boss, and ModMyi). They each are listed as apt.XXX.com and are not deletable with the Edit button. How does one remove those?

Thanks!

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX

I may have to try this. I have four "extra" versions of saurik, modmyi, bigboss, and zodttd repos. Wish me luck!!

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
I may have to try this. I have four "extra" versions of saurik, modmyi, bigboss, and zodttd repos. Wish me luck!!

How do you do this though? I do not see this "More Package Sources" that poose22 speaks of?

stlblufan

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
New York City
Okay I managed to completely reset my sources (and Cydia generally). Here's how:

If you don't have iFile, download it from Cydia.

Open iFile.

Navigate to /private/etc/apt/sources.list.d

Delete the file "cydia.list" (click EDIT on the top right, select the file, and click the waste basket).

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists

Delete all of the files in this folder except the one called "lock"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

Delete all of the files in this folder

Navigate to /var/lib/cydia

Delete the file "metadata.plist"

Close iFile and restart Cydia. You should be at the first screen you saw when you first started Cydia: What kind of user are you? Make your selection and Cydia will re-generate the default sources.

Good luck.

kuhroo25

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you for this post. Worked like a charm.

DarkCloud2015

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2010
Okay I managed to completely reset my sources (and Cydia generally). Here's how:

<snip>

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, worked like a charm. I tried editing those files to delete references to the problematic repos, but did nothing to resolve the issue. I was just about to give up when I read this.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
For those of you who used PkgBackup, I used Poose22's fix and it worked BRILLIANTLY!! Very simple process and you don't run the risk of missing files using iFile.

Cydia now loads clean every time, and very quickly at that.

Cheers (and thanks) to Poose22!!

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Essentially it looks like the fix suggested by poose22 (re: pkgbackup) as well as the manual option to more or less the same thing. The key is that you need to get rid of all the bad sources... and then re-add them. One way to do it is to use pkgbackup to "restore" the file (and not let it restore the bad sources). Then when you load cydia, you won't get the error, but you'll have to go add those sources manually.

The other option of using iFile can also be achieved using an FTP client as well. It's just manually going in there and clearing out the data so Cydia thinks that it has never been booted before.

thanks to both of you for the excellent tips!!! My Cydia is fixed.

I will say this... PKGBackup sure has caused me a lot of grief. Backup is supposed to make backing up / restoring simple and easy. This thing has made it such a pain... I'm hoping he does some updates or something. It was a relatively expensive package. Such a PITA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.