Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hey guys, so I've noticed that whenever I'm watching a video on say VLC, and I maximize the view, I notice a sudden disruption in the picture. This happens very intermittently and is often short lived, but I was hoping I could get some opinions on why this might be happening and how I can fix it? Any help is much appreciated.

I've attached a screenshot of what I see on the screen to this post. I have a 2011 13" MBP btw.

Attachments

• “«.png
    “«.png
    766.1 KB · Views: 171

edifyingGerbil

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
i had a similar phenomenon occur when i manually switched graphics using gfxCardStatus but that wouldn't apply in your case.

updating to 10.6.7 fixed it for me; have you updated your macbook?

sealand210

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
maybe there are some problems with the VLC hardware decode settings..

but I use mplayerx instead, no problem at all..

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
You can make an appointment at the Apple Store and show them the screen shot. It almost looks like the "safari" glitch that even happens from time to time on my new machine. My old machine (8600GT card) would look different than yours, and would happen in all programs, ie; iTunes, safari, Aperture, Photoshop, etc.. so I knew it was the LB/card.

Have you swapped out anything since you got your machine? Have you updated VLC, if applicable..

jamesschmidtke

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Had thIs problem in two 17". Happened in iTunes, QuickTime and vlc. I know exactly what your talking about. I had tp return both units for other reasons but I think the distortion is extremely strange. Pre and post 10.6.7 too

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I haven't swapped anything out since I got the laptop. I notice this happens in VLC, quicktime and even in Angry birds Rio, but is very short lived... usually during transitions (to full screen for example). It's definitely strange, so I wanted to see what people thought.

Is this likely to be a software bug? I would take it into the Apple store, but since it's a little far from where I am right now, I thought I'd get some MR opinions on it first.

josakramer

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Perak,MALAYSIA
Screen Problem

Hey Guys MacMaster,I got some prob that really need help about my MBP 15".
THe prob was when i boot the screen was ok with the apple Logo on it but when load the OS ( 10.5.8 ) the screen was black.When i attach external monitor to the MBP it was ok and i can use it.What was really wrong anyway?
is there anyone could help?PLEASE :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.