Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > New Mac Application Announcements

Old Mar 1, 2005, 02:44 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Airport Express streaming audio from any application

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Airport Express streaming audio from any application
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2005, 03:01 PM   #2
wordmunger
macrumors 603

This is very cool. A lot of speculation at Slashdot that Apple will upgrade the firmware to disable this software, but I don't see why they would do that. It doesn't hurt sales of Airport Express or iTunes music, so it seems like Apple would be happy to have it.
wordmunger is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2005, 04:35 PM   #3
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger
This is very cool. A lot of speculation at Slashdot that Apple will upgrade the firmware to disable this software, but I don't see why they would do that. It doesn't hurt sales of Airport Express or iTunes music, so it seems like Apple would be happy to have it.
Wouldn't it be more likely that they'll put the feature into an upgraded firmware soon? Just judging by their actions with widgets and Tiger...
Old Mar 1, 2005, 05:55 PM   #4
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Note that this make DVD/Movie playback possible now.

First, use VLC.

THen, in Preferences->Audio, enter in some values for Audio Desynchronization Compensation. Takes patience, but, for me, it's better than dragging around a 8mm audio cable.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 06:16 PM   #5
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmark
Note that this make DVD/Movie playback possible now.

First, use VLC.

THen, in Preferences->Audio, enter in some values for Audio Desynchronization Compensation. Takes patience, but, for me, it's better than dragging around a 8mm audio cable.
My understanding was that there is significant latency when playing through AirTunes. Do you know if this helps fix that problem?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 08:35 PM   #6
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

This is very cool... there are a ton of uses for stuff like this...

Apple may disable it, but if they created software for this the AEx can be very profitable, more than it currently is...

BUT can't other routers already do this? (cough linksys)
dotdotdot is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2005, 09:47 PM   #7
JeffTL
macrumors 6502a

Apple would have no reason to disable this unless they decide to build it into Tiger and want to sell more units thereof -- and frankly, it'd be worth buying Tiger for something like that.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 07:57 AM   #8
gregnacu
macrumors member

Smile Nice.

Since it's free, I'll try it out, and if there are are sync problems... no biggie. If not, then I've got something sweet for nothing.
gregnacu is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:47 AM   #9
dsharits
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to dsharits Send a message via MSN to dsharits Send a message via Yahoo to dsharits Send a message via Skype™ to dsharits
Awesome. I've been waiting for this.

Daniel
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:16 PM   #10
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

maybe my brain's not really working right now, but, i do not really see a reason to use this program.

stream from realplayer? i don't even have that program installed.

vlc... hmm. don't get it.
redAPPLE is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:26 PM   #11
zelmo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnacu
Since it's free, I'll try it out, and if there are are sync problems... no biggie. If not, then I've got something sweet for nothing.
Well, you've got something that will be sweet for 10 minutes, which is how long the audio signal remains clear if you don't pony up the $25 to buy the program. Without buying the software, the signal begins to degrade at 10 minutes, getting progressively worse over time. At least, according to the info on the web site .
Old Mar 2, 2005, 03:28 PM   #12
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

I don't use AirTunes, since I lack a sound system within range of my AirPort Express, and therefore have nothing to connect the audio cable to. I like this idea of enabling any application (even CocoModX, an application I use) to make use of AirTunes technology.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:06 AM   #13
strydr
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to strydr Send a message via Yahoo to strydr
I have been waiting for a App like this ever since AEx came out. First use is with VLC, but how `bout using it for apps like Logic, or Cubase? Let the DJ's unhook and mix from across the room.. I bought AirFoil as soon as it was available. I use RealPlayer to listen to some streams not available for iTunes, so being able to listen to any App on my living room stereo is great. Way to go Rouge Amoeba with another great peice of software.(Audio Hijack rocks). I hope Apple embraces this technology, it should be a built-in feature of Tiger (maybe a Widget in Dashboard?)
strydr is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:54 AM   #14
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by strydr
I have been waiting for a App like this ever since AEx came out. First use is with VLC, but how `bout using it for apps like Logic, or Cubase? Let the DJ's unhook and mix from across the room.. I bought AirFoil as soon as it was available. I use RealPlayer to listen to some streams not available for iTunes, so being able to listen to any App on my living room stereo is great. Way to go Rouge Amoeba with another great peice of software.(Audio Hijack rocks). I hope Apple embraces this technology, it should be a built-in feature of Tiger (maybe a Widget in Dashboard?)
Why not use Audio Hijack together with this application to make it even MORE powerful? I should register Audio Hijack...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > New Mac Application Announcements