Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
What's your setup consist of?

1. Which MacBook Air do you have?

2. Is the Air your main computer? Do you use it along with an external monitor, another computer(s), iPad or ?

3. Use a sleeve, skin, speck case? What kind of bag or backpack have you found suitable for the Air's?

Photo's WELCOME!

Last edited:

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
1. 13" ultimate

2. Nothing at the moment, but I'm planning on getting an iMac to do the heavier lifting as well as act as my media hub for the house when they get refreshed.

3. I put it in an Incase messenger bag that I got when I had my 15" MBP. I haven't seen any really nice small bags that I really like, so this one will have to do for now. I have been looking at getting a sleeve, so if anyone has any recommendations for a slim sleeve to put in a bag, let 'em fly. :)

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
1. 11 inch 2/128 or 13 inch 4/256

2. My passport 1TB drive for backup or archived files that I seldom access.

3. Tumi briefcase, I just drop in the computer and go. When I travel really light, I use a SF bags envelope for the 13. I may buy one for the 11 as well as they give really good protection.

These MBAs are fabulous machines for my various work assignments.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I have a 13 inch MBA Ultimate.

I don't use an external monitor but do still use a 17 inch MBP and an iPad, both of which I had when I got the MBA last October.

I have both a Marware Sportfolio Deluxe bag for the MBA and an Incipio sleeve.

VNM

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2009
11.6" 1.4/4/64

1.5 TB External HD, LG 21.5" 1080P monitor (Dell U2711 on the way) when at home.

Have a foam shipping bag to throw it in, then in a backpack, Moshi Muse sleeve should have arrived weeks ago...

ejisfun

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
1) Base 11".

2) Functions as both my laptop and as my desktop when paired with 20" external.

3) Waterfield sleevecase, then just put inside my regular school backpack.

m3digi

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
NYC
My Best Friend

1. 11", 1.4GHz, 4GB, 128GB
2. Planning to buy 24" monitor. Use with Synology NAS with 2TB for extra storage and backup. I recently sold my 17" MBP 2009 (No use for two laptops). Evaluating power replacement for photo editing purposes (iMac, new MBP, or Ivy Bridge MBA??)
3. SF Bags Waterfield Sleeve. I use in my Tumi and Targus messengers. It's perfect.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
MBA 13 with 2GB and 128GB SSD

A Seagate Freeagent Goflex 500MB. My iMac currently is my iPhone and iPad syncing platform. So no need for a monitor at this point.

Just got the STM Bags Alley case for those times that I need to do some travel with the MBA. Great thing is there is space for the iPad also.

channelinspire

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Dallas, TX
1. 11" Ultimate (Sold the iPad after replacing with the MBA)

2. 27" Quad i7 iMac for the heavy work.

3. I use a Brenthaven MetroLite that holds my work laptop in the back and the MBA perfectly in the middle pockets. Love this bag!

4. Got a JoliOriginal sleeve on the way.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
1. 1.86GHz mid-2009 with a 120GB OWC SSD.

2. When it's at my desk, I usually plug it into a spare 1280x800 LCD next to my desktop with its 'real' monitors. My laptop serves as a secondary machine, a scaled-down, portable clone of my desktop. As a CS student, I need a computer with me at all times, so I need a portable, lightweight, but still relatively powerful machine.

3. I don't use a case, cover, sleeve, or anything like that. Going on two years old now, and you'd be hard pressed to find major signs of its age. Really, these machines are far more robust that most people seem to give them credit for. As for a bag, I use the bag that Apple gave out at WWDC 2002. Great bag. http://www.redlightrunner.com/wwdc2002bag.html

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Air Jordan

13" MBA Ultimate + 27" Apple Cinema Display

This is my primary setup that I do all of my computing on that isn't done on my iPhone. I would say 60% of my web browsing is done from my iPhone. I rarely check email from MBA, as I use my iPhone for all personal email or brief work email.

Less than 25% of the time I actually work from my desk right now, so I am mostly detached from the ACD. However, when I get back to work, hopefully this Fall, it will probably be 80% while attached to ACD.

The most amazing thing about the MBA is it serves as the ultimate Mac that is both an incredible mobile laptop and amazing desktop while plugged into the ACD. I cannot believe the amazing capabilities of the MBA.

I hope that Apple uses its A5 designs to learn how to make custom chips for the MBA that don't rely on Intel's pathetic graphics. I want a retina display in an MBA! We are only maybe five years from ARM making the leap, and there are huge benefits to ditching Intel!

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
1. 13" ultimate
2. I have a 13" MBP, just sold a 15" MBP, but mainly use this MBA as my main machine. Also have an iPad 2 for meetings, airplane travel, etc...Have a 24" Apple LCD which I connect the MBA to frequently for desktop work
3. Wrap the MBA in invisible shield. Carry around in an Incase Sleeve and in a regular backpack....

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
1) 13" Ultimate
2) Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse/Belkin CushTop
3) Speck SeeThru Clear Case

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
I own a MBA 2010 13" 4GB Ram

For power jobs I have an iMac 27" i5

i have a skin for the MBA that i bought in a Retail Store for the old MBA 2009 ages ago.

Voondebah

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
1. 13", 2010 1.86 GHz/4GB RAM/128GB SSD

2. The macbook air is my primary computer. I have an iPad which I use for playing games and bedside web surfing and email. I have a mac mini, but it is mostly used as a HTPC anymore as it is weaker than my air.

3. I just got my air recently, so it is currently naked (!), but I have a Speck seethru satin case in clementine on the way, in addition to a radtech screensaver to protect the LCD from markings from the keyboard. I take my air on the go by placing it in my Arcteryx Quiver sling pack.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Best Mac Ever

I bought an 11" MBA last week and have to say, one of the best Macs I have owned. I wrote a little about it on my blog if you are interested.

1. Base 11" / 1.4 Ghz / 2GB / 64GB

2. I have an older MacBook as my main computer but it has a broken screen. That's connected to a 24" LCD and use that as my work (work from home) computer. The air is my separation from work and play but will also be used as a work machine when I am travelling.

3. Not yet. In the market for a booq bag but they are hard to get hold of! May buy a sleeve in the mean time.

chenry

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
1. MBA 11, 4G/64G, but installed the 240G OWC SSD

2. Main computer Mac Pro, also have a 15" non-unibody MBP and a 13" unibody MacBook 8GB/1TB.

3. Booq Viper, though might swap it for something else. I use a Domke F3X for day to day use.

- Colin

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
11" ultimate

I use wrapsol, then i put it in an SF suede case then inside a neoprene case

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
1. 13 inch ultimate

2. use it along side a 21 inch imac, and an original ipad. i use the pad for reading magazines/chilling out with. the imacs for HD video work and for storing a large itunes library. the air fits in nicely, as an on-the-go video editor and essay writer. i'll be upgrading the imac to a 27 inch soon, and then i'll be happy :)

3. no sleeve/case. put it in a big laptop bag i had lying around, get it out whenever the mood takes me :rolleyes:

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
1) MBA 11.6" Ultimate

2) No, it's not, but it could be. I have a late '08 MBP 15" (2.53 C2D, 4GB RAM, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue) handling my daily tasks, and serving as my main workstation. It's in clamshell mode virtually all of the time now that I got the Air, and is hooked up to a ACD 27" monitor. It could be faster (HD being the main bottleneck), but in all honesty, it still does everything I need it to do, so I haven't upgraded yet.

3) Looking at getting an SFbags.com case for the Air this week.

agallowa

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Citrus Heights, CA
1- Base 11"
2- Use it as main computer. its more than enough for normal use and a few photoshop/lightroom things i do. I use a lacie rikiki 320gb portable hd that i always keep with me for everything under the sun i have and a lacie 500gb hd at home as a backup.
3- Incase compact backpack with the new incase sleeve they finnally released for the 11" love it despite most of the bad reviews on the case i love it. dont have issues whatsoever.

best mac setup all around i have to say i have owned. so light so fast never feel any of the weight when its in my bag. perfect.

bindle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
1. 11.6" 4/128gb
2. I have a MBP 17" and a desktop gaming/media PC. The air is my portable I take around day to day though.
3. Black Speck SeeThru Satin - does its job. And I go out with a half-messenger bag it fits in perfectly.

pic

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
1) MBA 11 Ultimate

2) iPad WiFi, Droid X, 27" quad i7 iMac. No intent of using external monitor w/ MBA.

3) mCover purple see-thru hard cover skin. No bag yet, but likely purchase = STM Bags Scout Extra Small from Amazon or eBags.

deturney

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
NE Ohio
I got my MBA 13 Ultimate a week ago-it is fantastic. I am putting my late 2009 MBP 15 on eBay; no longer needed. I have my Air setup with an Airport Extreme, a WD MyBook 1TB for backups/media and I use an HP envy 100 printer on the network. No optical drive yet, I will get one in the future if I need one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.