Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I really don't want to carry a 15" laptop, but I can get a new in box 15" 2.2 for 1800 tax free. Now I know this could be taken as rubbing it in or bragging, but I will be ditching my Sony Z 13" for this 15" MBP.

I am seriously concerned about the size and weight. Although, the performance is said to be fantastic on the new MBP. Ultimately, I wish Apple would create a 13" with better specs.

So anyways.. Anyone in this position out there go from a 13 to the 15 and actually like the change? The others thing I am worried about is the poor resolution on the MBP. My 13" Z had a 1080p display, so going to 1400 on a larger screen will look odd. I looked into getting a hires MBP, but from my position, it's just not worth the extra $600.

Thoughts?

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
I have both the Z and a 2011 15" MBP.

I'll say - I thought I would for sure ditch my Z after I got my MBP, but I couldn't get myself to do it.

First, they may just differ by a few pounds, but I found the difference in weight to be very noticeable using it while moving. That and the Z is just a good amount smaller than the 15 MBP. Portability wise, if you're going to be carrying the laptop around, the Z is by far and away a better laptop.

As far as the display goes - I have the Z with the lower res display (1600x900) and think it's perfect. I had the 1080p one first, but returned it after a week because the resolution was just silly small and having to adjust the DPI in all the programs to make things readable from a reasonable working viewing distance was just silly. Viewing pictures and movies was great though. Anything productive just didn't work out.

That said, if you're used to the 1080p screen - you will be sorely disappointed by the pixel density of the MBP @ 1440 x 900. Even I think the resolution is too low and the font smoothing apple uses drives me crazy. Though it's functionally fine, 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 is the resolution 15" laptops should be at.

Obviously because I still have both laptops - the 1440 x 900 res isn't a deal breaker for me. It's fine, and I do most of my work on my desktop anyway.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
I have both the Z and a 2011 15" MBP.

I'll say - I thought I would for sure ditch my Z after I got my MBP, but I couldn't get myself to do it.

First, they may just differ by a few pounds, but I found the difference in weight to be very noticeable using it while moving. That and the Z is just a good amount smaller than the 15 MBP. Portability wise, if you're going to be carrying the laptop around, the Z is by far and away a better laptop.

As far as the display goes - I have the Z with the lower res display (1600x900) and think it's perfect. I had the 1080p one first, but returned it after a week because the resolution was just silly small and having to adjust the DPI in all the programs to make things readable from a reasonable working viewing distance was just silly. Viewing pictures and movies was great though. Anything productive just didn't work out.

That said, if you're used to the 1080p screen - you will be sorely disappointed by the pixel density of the MBP @ 1440 x 900. Even I think the resolution is too low and the font smoothing apple uses drives me crazy. Though it's functionally fine, 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 is the resolution 15" laptops should be at.

Obviously because I still have both laptops - the 1440 x 900 res isn't a deal breaker for me. It's fine, and I do most of my work on my desktop anyway.

Hey, thanks for that. I just picked up the MBP and it if HUGE! Looks looks a freaking drive in movie screen. :) I only really wanted it for my iphoto and imovie back. Also, not gonna lie, the gaming capabilities.

Gonna test her out tonight, but I think its gonna be gone soon.

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
Hey, thanks for that. I just picked up the MBP and it if HUGE! Looks looks a freaking drive in movie screen. :) I only really wanted it for my iphoto and imovie back. Also, not gonna lie, the gaming capabilities.

Gonna test her out tonight, but I think its gonna be gone soon.

lol. I would never buy a macbook pro for it's gaming capabilities

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.