Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 1, 2005, 05:53 PM   #1
bosrs1
macrumors 6502

The story behind the clamshell iBook

Does anyone else know the story behind the oft loved and collected toilet seat ibook design?

Well as the story goes, Steve came before the creative team in charge of designing the new "iBook" computer. The designs were all made out of very expensive clay/epoxy models and each was worth several thousand dollars in their own right in time, tools and materials. Apparently Steve had a hissy fit when he saw the first design and declared it crap and proceeded to knock it to the floor destroying it. He went down the line and had similar reactions to all of the designs (most of which were good or better then the final design by anyone's standards). Well Steve got to the end of the line and was so exasperated that he declared the toiletseat/clamshell design to be good and thus it became the iBook design. However we all know how short a life it had once it was released and gave way to the now 4 year old white iBook. That is why, it was never meant to be made if not for Steve having a hissy fit.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 09:30 PM   #2
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Any source on that? Seems pretty unlikely.
miloblithe is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Goes to show you that they should show these design conferences in the conference room, instead of the bathroom.

Last edited by Sun Baked; Mar 2, 2005 at 11:51 AM. Reason: left out a word :(
Sun Baked is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Norouzi
macrumors 6502

Personally, I loved the Clamshell design for the iBooks. I actually started working for an Apple Dealer shortly after the white iBooks were released and I got alot of comments on how much better the general public liked the Clamshell. The main reason? How tough the things were, they were perfectly designed for someone who gave their laptop alot of abuse, I mean thoes things could take prety much anything you threw at them. Perfect for students who literaly threw their laptop around. The white iBooks can't take half of the abuse that the clamshells could, and personally, I loved the built in handle. The only downside that I saw to them was the bulk. All that plastic made it heavier, and more bulky. The white iBooks have it beat hands down there, but I still like the Clamshells.

No idea if the story about the design is true or not, but it seems unlikely to me.
Norouzi is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
I liked the clamshell iBooks, however they could have been much better if they had 2 USB ports instead of 1, that was cheap on Apple's part.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:33 AM   #6
stevep
macrumors 6502a

And I thought they were just a logical development from the eMate design by Jonathon Ives and his team.......(but I got my info from an interview with Ives printed in Computer Arts).

Last edited by stevep; Mar 2, 2005 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar tut tut
stevep is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:48 AM   #7
jayscheuerle
macrumors 68020

Location: Right behind my eyeballs, around 2 inches back. Wet. Warm. Dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep
And I thought they were just a logical development from the eMate design by Jonathon Ives and his team.......(but I got my info from an interview with Ives printed in Computer Arts).
Looks very close...
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:50 AM   #8
sigamy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmaniac
I liked the clamshell iBooks, however they could have been much better if they had 2 USB ports instead of 1, that was cheap on Apple's part.
Yeah. And it's pretty funny that the redesign was know as the "Dual USB iBook". Like that was the biggest change from the clamshell design. I guess it was shorter than "Snow white, two USB ports, 100Mhz bus, better video, faster G3 iceBook".
sigamy is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:12 PM   #9
bosrs1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloblithe
Any source on that? Seems pretty unlikely.
Just someone who was there

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers