Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I posted this over in the "windows on mac" forum too, not sure if double posting is proper, thought I'd share it here as well since I for one don't spend any time on that other section. Admins feel free to delete one or the other.

Hey all,

I’m writing because I’ve finally found a decent solution to the heat issue while running Windows 7 in bootcamp on my MBP.

With my 2011 MBP 13” I’m running windows 7 (ultimate, 64 bit) for software I use in my daily “work” environment, and was noticing idle temperatures around 60C, and approaching 70C under minimal loads. The same machine idles in the 30s in OS X. Also, coming from another win 7 laptop that idles around 30C, I concluded that win 7/bootcamp on the MBP was noticeably HOT. I was bummed.

My research taught me a few things:

Yes, the Sandy Bridge processors run “warmer” due to increased wattage: 35 -> 45 or something like that. Makes sense.
Yes, the architecture of the MBP is notorious for running hot if something is awry.
Yes especially in bootcamp.

I stumbled across a post that suggested the main problem in the windows environment seems to be poor fan control, i.e. even at moderately higher temps the fans don’t seem to spin up at all. I agreed with this observation and set out to find some fan control. I found MacFan in an older post on another forum, and it works great. It’s a bare-bones app that you run in cmd, but it has done the trick for me.

MacFan doesn’t mess around with the fan controls or settings other than upping the minimum speed. My fans were idling at the 2000RPM mark in win 7, and simply upping the min speed to 2750 immediately brought my CPU down from ~60C to ~48C. Ahhh sweet relief. I can barely barely hear a difference audibly—the machine is still near silent. (I assume they'll go back to 2000 in OSX based on claims, but I'll find out and report back.)

I run my machine in clamshell mode at work and it feels MUCH cooler to the touch. I’ve been using MacFan for a day now and so far so good. I’m not as worried about longevity of the machine anymore.

Here it is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/macfan/
Read the “release notes” .txt file for instructions—basically you have give it a one-liner instruction in cmd but it’s dead simple.

I’m all ears if I missed another way to do this, but just wanted to share what I came up with and give back to the resource pool here at Macrumors.

Cheers, and happy cooler bootcamping. Funny how these things are exciting to us hehe…

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Yeah, my machine feels a bit warmer in bootcamp, although the temps that the monitoring shows aren't any warmer. I just run mine in dual display mode in 7, so I don't have to worry about heat.

c7aea

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010
I run my machine in clamshell mode at work and it feels MUCH cooler to the touch. I’ve been using MacFan for a day now and so far so good. I’m not as worried about longevity of the machine anymore.

I use SMCfan control, does the same thing. I run my minimum at 3000. I dont use my MBP screen when I am using an external monitor. However, I leave the lid open because the vent is located at the hinge. I think you will find it will run even cooler if you leave the lid open.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
I've always felt that Apple's drivers for Windows via Boot Campy were terrible. It would have been grand if you could switch between graphics cards in Windows like you can in OS X. Windows can do it as other notebooks allow this.

I suspect that Apple doesn't allow Windows to run as great as it could. Battery life, heat, and other items I think could be better under Windows if Apple were so inclined to improve the drivers. I would like somebody to hack the drivers so this might be possible...

-P

c7aea

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010
Does this have any effect on the longevity of the fans if you run them at higher rpm.

I would imagine like anything else it would wear out faster. However, it is much easier and cheaper to replace a fan then a damaged logic board.

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I use SMCfan control, does the same thing. I run my minimum at 3000. I dont use my MBP screen when I am using an external monitor. However, I leave the lid open because the vent is located at the hinge. I think you will find it will run even cooler if you leave the lid open.
I did try that because of the location of the vent. Also I believe the "intake" is through the keyboard. It seemed to make only a 2-3 degree difference when I ran it fully open. My desk arrangement is much much better with clamshell mode. Sometimes I leave it open an inch for airflow, but now I don't need to with the fans up at 2750. Once again, for those worrying about amped up fans, I can still barely hear them-- I dont' think 2750 vs 2000 is bound to be a problem.

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007

I thought SMCfan control was for the OSX side--does it work for windows?

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I've always felt that Apple's drivers for Windows via Boot Campy were terrible. ...
I suspect that Apple doesn't allow Windows to run as great as it could. Battery life, heat, and other items I think could be better under Windows if Apple were so inclined to improve the drivers...

-P
I'm sure you're right about Apple "crippling" windows to some extent. Makes sense--they wouldn't want to encourage anyone migrating over to windows 7...

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I thought SMCfan control was for the OSX side--does it work for windows?

It does if you set it in OSX and then reboot to Windows. If you shut the computer off, then you'll have to go back to OSX before rebooting to Windows to get it to work again.

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I checked and I'm happy to report that after using MacFan to set the min fan speed at 2750 in windows and booting back into OSX my fan was reset back to the default 2000 rpms.

It does if you set it in OSX and then reboot to Windows. If you shut the computer off, then you'll have to go back to OSX before rebooting to Windows to get it to work again.

Interesting. I must say I like the MacFan solution as it gives control while in windows--no need to go to OS X and boot-set-reboot.

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Im not sure, I only use OSX... so SMCfancontrol for me

Just curious, and a little off topic, but when do you ever have to manually control the fans while in OSX? Doesn't it do a good enough job adjusting speeds based on temps?

c7aea

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010
Just curious, and a little off topic, but when do you ever have to manually control the fans while in OSX? Doesn't it do a good enough job adjusting speeds based on temps?

It still adjusts automatically like before. But some times when I do something that I know is really CPU intensive I will turn them up manually before I start. And I think 3000rpm is a good min fan speed I cant hear the fans and it stays a bit cooler then with the default 2000rpm

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
It still adjusts automatically like before. But some times when I do something that I know is really CPU intensive I will turn them up manually before I start. And I think 3000rpm is a good min fan speed I cant hear the fans and it stays a bit cooler then with the default 2000rpm
Gotcha gotcha.
And I would fully agree that 3000 doesn't make any sound of any consequence--still verrry quiet. Cheers

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

What is the maximum RPM for the fans in the MBP?

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

What is the maximum RPM for the fans in the MBP?

I think 6000

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I am in boot camp right now running Win 7 Pro. It's idling around 45-52c compared to when in OS X it's at 28-31c.

Nice. Maybe I have a lemon. or the thermal paste thing... As stated, my temps are more like high 30s for OS X and before the fan adjustment 60C in Win 7.

Or maybe it's cause you have the 15"... makes me wonder what average temps are for the different models.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH

AFPoster said:
I am in boot camp right now running Win 7 Pro. It's idling around 45-52c compared to when in OS X it's at 28-31c.

Well I know that in bootcamp, the discrete graphics card is always enabled. That might be contributing to the higher temps.

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
there is also- lubbos fan control- for windows too,i tried it,but havent got around to tweaking it,does the min rpm thing like smc fan control,check it out,runs as an app.

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
zzzx

I posted this over in the "windows on mac" forum too, not sure if double posting is proper, thought I'd share it here as well since I for one don't spend any time on that other section. Admins feel free to delete one or the other.

Hey all,

I’m writing because I’ve finally found a decent solution to the heat issue while running Windows 7 in bootcamp on my MBP.

With my 2011 MBP 13” I’m running windows 7 (ultimate, 64 bit) for software I use in my daily “work” environment, and was noticing idle temperatures around 60C, and approaching 70C under minimal loads. The same machine idles in the 30s in OS X. Also, coming from another win 7 laptop that idles around 30C, I concluded that win 7/bootcamp on the MBP was noticeably HOT. I was bummed.

My research taught me a few things:

Yes, the Sandy Bridge processors run “warmer” due to increased wattage: 35 -> 45 or something like that. Makes sense.
Yes, the architecture of the MBP is notorious for running hot if something is awry.
Yes especially in bootcamp.

I stumbled across a post that suggested the main problem in the windows environment seems to be poor fan control, i.e. even at moderately higher temps the fans don’t seem to spin up at all. I agreed with this observation and set out to find some fan control. I found MacFan in an older post on another forum, and it works great. It’s a bare-bones app that you run in cmd, but it has done the trick for me.

MacFan doesn’t mess around with the fan controls or settings other than upping the minimum speed. My fans were idling at the 2000RPM mark in win 7, and simply upping the min speed to 2750 immediately brought my CPU down from ~60C to ~48C. Ahhh sweet relief. I can barely barely hear a difference audibly—the machine is still near silent. (I assume they'll go back to 2000 in OSX based on claims, but I'll find out and report back.)

Here it is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/macfan/
Read the “release notes” .txt file for instructions—basically you have give it a one-liner instruction in cmd but it’s dead simple.

I’m all ears if I missed another way to do this, but just wanted to share what I came up with and give back to the resource pool here at Macrumors.

Cheers, and happy cooler bootcamping. Funny how these things are exciting to us hehe…

hey can u give us a rundown on exactly how to enable it in windows?ive tried several times,navigating to desktop folder of unzipped macfan ,doing the command line-macfan.exe=but no such luck so far,would u put exactly the right way for me?.ps there is also lubbos windows fan control too,google it,

dxerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
hey can u give us a rundown on exactly how to enable it in windows?ive tried several times,navigating to desktop folder of unzipped macfan ,doing the command line-macfan.exe=but no such luck so far,would u put exactly the right way for me?.ps there is also lubbos windows fan control too,google it,

Hey there, sounds like you're doing the right thing. When I'm in the correct directory in cmd, per their instructions, I enter:

macfan 3000

Make sure you are running cmd as an administrator.

Thanks to you and the others for the heads up about Lubbo too. It works great, and the GUI is a little nicer... oh and FYI for those wondering Lubbo works fine on my 2011 13".

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
Hey there, sounds like you're doing the right thing. When I'm in the correct directory in cmd, per their instructions, I enter:

macfan 3000

Make sure you are running cmd as an administrator.

Thanks to you and the others for the heads up about Lubbo too. It works great, and the GUI is a little nicer... oh and FYI for those wondering Lubbo works fine on my 2011 13".

my pleasure,anything to help out a fellow mac user why not already?

thanx for creating post here,the more the merrier,and this forum is great,i like the vibe,cheers from me too,good luck with your apple windows7:book pro portable fan forced oven!!!--lol:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.