Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I am using iPad SIM in my iPhone. Now that I have TetherMe and Mobile Hotspot is working nicely, the question is. Can AT&T tell that I am not on an iPad? Are they actually monitoring iPad data usage? I understand that they are on iPhone data plan, but what about iPad?

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I am using iPad SIM in my iPhone. Now that I have TetherMe and Mobile Hotspot is working nicely, the question is. Can AT&T tell that I am not on an iPad? Are they actually monitoring iPad data usage? I understand that they are on iPhone data plan, but what about iPad?

They can tell. They can see the IMSI of the iphone.

I put my iphone SIM in my iPad and I got a warning text immediately after putting it back. From now on, I'm just using MyWi.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Been using an ipad sim in my 3gs from november last year, no problems. This would be the first i have heard about anyone having a problem with it.

But anyway yes they can tell pretty easily if they bother to look. Personally i just turn on airplane mode when i am not using it.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
They can tell. They can see the IMSI of the iphone.

I put my iphone SIM in my iPad and I got a warning text immediately after putting it back. From now on, I'm just using MyWi.

He didn't ask about the iphone sim in an ipad. Reread the post. And it is an IMEI number, not IMSI.

I have had an ipad sim in my iphone 4 24 hours a day for the last 5 months. If they know, they obviously don't care.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wouldn't have thought that they cared as long as you've paid for the data.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I've been using the iPad SIM in my iPhone 4 since the 4 came out. I have not had any issues, but lately I am tethering via Mobile Hotspot to my MacBook so I am eating up much more data.
I'm just curious if anyone has exepeience with AT&T commenting of their "unlimited" iPad data usage?

I changed Safari on the MacBook to iPad version. Not sure if that makes a difference.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I have been tethering the whole time, but my monthly usually stays in the 2gb-2.5gb range. I think the highest I have been is 3.7. So I am sure I would not one of those flagged anyway.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wouldn't have thought that they cared as long as you've paid for the data.

Well over on the phone side of the house they are doing stuff to phone users that tether and arent paying for it. Ipad isn't suposed to tether at all so i don't know what they can change your bill to. They could likely throttle and suspend service though. I just think ipad users are flying under the wire at the moment, you can always just say its movies and picture sites which is typical use for an ipad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.