Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 1, 2005, 07:08 PM   #1
MacDuff
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to MacDuff
Long time to Boot up

I have G4 Powerbook with Superdrive and 1 gig of ram. It's been an extremely successful and well-working machine for me. But now whenever i restart it takes almost 20-30 minutes to reload the operating system. Does anyone know why this is?
Old Mar 2, 2005, 07:58 AM   #2
john1123
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff
I have G4 Powerbook with Superdrive and 1 gig of ram. It's been an extremely successful and well-working machine for me. But now whenever i restart it takes almost 20-30 minutes to reload the operating system. Does anyone know why this is?
try repairing permissions and running the maintenance scripts.

a good program that does both and a lot more (and is free) is onyx

number of switchers: 3
12" ibook G3 900Mhz | 640MB RAM | Combo Drive | AirPort | 60GB | 10.4.0
1GB ipod shuffle
john1123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 08:08 AM   #3
jsw
Moderator emeritus

By "reload the operating system" do you mean that it takes that long to get to the login screen, or to complete logging in as you? If it's the latter, create a new account and log into that account next time and see if it takes a lot less time - if so, you've probably got a ton of stuff set up in System Preferences...->Accounts->[you]->Startup Items.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 08:41 AM   #4
russed
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to russed
it sounds like a problem that myself and several others have had around here since the 10.3.8 update. does the dock come up but finder fails to load? if so get onyx as mentioned above and do all the repairing permissions, clear the cache etc but also trash the finder preference file (there is an option within the programme to do that). it solved the problem for me and several others also.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 09:20 PM   #5
MacDuff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
By "reload the operating system" do you mean that it takes that long to get to the login screen, or to complete logging in as you? If it's the latter, create a new account and log into that account next time and see if it takes a lot less time - if so, you've probably got a ton of stuff set up in System Preferences...->Accounts->[you]->Startup Items.
I mean that it takes a long time "logging in as me". When loading up it sits on my desktop background image alone for a looooong time, and then the dock and icons come up together and it's loaded. I checked my startup items and I did have a lot in there, removed them, but unfortunately it still takes a long time to load.

I'm going to try the Onyx program and do what you guys said. I'll let you know... i'm glad i'm not the only one with this issue.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 09:25 PM   #6
Lacero
macrumors 601

I had this same problem with a long boot up time. I complete wiped the HD and did a clean install of the OS and updated with the combo 1.3.8 updater on my PB, and it is fine now. Boots up very fast.
Lacero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 03:48 PM   #7
MacDuff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacero
I had this same problem with a long boot up time. I complete wiped the HD and did a clean install of the OS and updated with the combo 1.3.8 updater on my PB, and it is fine now. Boots up very fast.
Wow, hmm. I might have to do that when Tiger comes out. It's very strange, Onyx gave me a couple extra gigs which was nice and it's running smoother overall. But it's still a long boot-up. Any other tips?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store