Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
So I have an Alesis electronic drum set. If I set my audio levels before going into garage and just want to throw down a rough drum recording, how could i do this in GarageBand?

If I get the apogee or irig and connect a 1/4pm output from my alesis, van you just record a "line in" on garage band?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
First off, I am assuming you have a DM5. If you get a Midi to USB adapter and the camera connection kit for the iPad, you can send midi data from your edrum set to GarageBand. Whether or not the default notes your Alesis is triggering will correspond correctly I cannot say.

BUT I can tell you midi does control the drum kits in GarageBand, I just tested it with a midi controller plugged into the camera connection kit. Using the built in drum sounds will severly limit you compared to the sounds in the alesis, but I would definately use garage bands sounds because you can take advantage of auto-quantize.

BTW I useto own an alesis drum module so I may be able to help with further questions.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
well i didn't want to use the drum sets in garage band...

i'd rather take the line out audio from the dm5 and just record direct into garage band.

i don't need to be able to record each pad on a separate track, etc. I would have already "pre-mixed" the volume levels on the dm5. I just want to be able to lay down rough demos.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
You will need to get the camera kit and locate a compatible audio interface with 2 ins. I believe the Roland UA-1G is compatible (aka Cakewalk ua-1g). However since info is scarce after the 4.2 update, I'm not sure whether you would need a powered USB hub or not (iOS 4 severely constrained power output from the iPad). Whether GarageBand will allow you to record two tracks at once I can't say.

newConvert

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Intersting, I was thinking about this myself. I only have the ion rockband set, but wanted to figure out how to hook it into garageband. Ultimately, I'd love it if I could hook the ION setup directly, without the need for a drum brain (or whatever their called!)

Anyone know if that is possible?

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have an iRig and was about to record line-in, but it will only be in mono. Bleh.

I knew that GB supported midi in for keyboard, but it does drums now too?

I'm gonna have to try this...

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
^let me know what you find out...

i don't need two lines in at once...just one.

So i'd record the guitar or drums first, then go back and record whichever i didn't record. So it's two separate tracks, but recorded at separate times.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Intersting, I was thinking about this myself. I only have the ion rockband set, but wanted to figure out how to hook it into garageband. Ultimately, I'd love it if I could hook the ION setup directly, without the need for a drum brain (or whatever their called!)

Anyone know if that is possible?

You always need a module or "drum brain" because something must translate the impact on the piezo triggers on the edrum set into a digital signal, as midi data if you want to use the GarageBand sounds. If you have no drum module there are cheap ones that only work as midi controllers, I.e. They don't produce analog sounds. This works if you always use them in conjunction with a computer or iPad.

If your ION set has it's own USB connector provided perhaps it already is processing the signal, in am only familiar with the ION sets from a few years ago that are designed to work with modules. They have mono 1/4" cables that plug from the drum triggers into a module.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have an iRig and was about to record line-in, but it will only be in mono. Bleh.

I knew that GB supported midi in for keyboard, but it does drums now too?

I'm gonna have to try this...

Midi is the same from all devices. It is simply computer data that communicates a musical note with various parameters (pitch bend, modulation, etc). An eDrum set module is assigning a specific note to each drum, which means when you connect and hit the snare, the module will send an "A 440Hz Note" which then the computer or iPad triggers that note in whatever instrument is digitally selected. Therefore if you have the keyboard open in GarageBand and use an eDrum set, you will play piano notes when you hit the drums. Midi drum patches by default usually fall under the same note scheme. Certain notes are typically used for the same type of drum, I.e. a middle C Note will always trigger a kick drum (just a fictitious example).

^let me know what you find out...

i don't need two lines in at once...just one.

So i'd record the guitar or drums first, then go back and record whichever i didn't record. So it's two separate tracks, but recorded at separate times.

If you are okay with mono then your best bet is probably the Apogee Jam right now. The iRig and similar devices that use the mic input are quite noisy. The Apogee jam is designed for instrument level signals which is between mic and line. Your DM5 outputs line level if I'm not mistaken, but the gain on the Apogee can be turned down for the perfect input volume.

FYI I owned a DM5 for several years and used it to record using both audio and midi. I ultimately sold it because I couldn't stand the low polyphony and lack of variable hi-hat. My point is that I can help if you have any other dm5 questions.

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
Midi is the same from all devices. It is simply computer data that communicates a musical note with various parameters (pitch bend, modulation, etc).

lol thanks, I know what MIDI is. I meant that I didn't know that the Drums section of GB on iPad accepted midi data.

I have a small USB to midi interface that I picked up a LOOONG time ago, never had a use for it until now. I just hope when I plug it in via Camera Connection Kit, I won't get the "device requires too much power" message.

Levi313

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
IPad 2

My question is does it matter if I use the main output or the auxilliary then go into apogee jam then into IPad 2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.