Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balzer69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
I wonder if many people are having problems with the microphone? My new ipad (white 64 3G) worked fine for a day or two, and subsequently only records a sort of static noise.

After resetting, and installing the new firmware, the problem persisted - so I returned to the apple store. They exchanged it straight away (the guy didnt even turn it on, and luckily they had another in the back) however the new device has a fair bit more 'light leakage' than the old! Seems I can't win.

sj.erickson

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
Balzer - same issue

Balzer...I had the same issue. White, 64GB, 3G AT&T ipad 2, purchased at Best Buy on launch day in Portland, OR. Microphone performance was almost non-existent. There was a faint recording of spoken words, but primarily (70/80%) cracking, hissing static. Really bad. Took it to Apple Store Palm Desert while on vacation...they confirmed the issue and recommended a return, so I did. Re-ordered a new unit...same except in black last Friday. Hoping for better things when my next one arrives in 2-3 weeks.

jomo25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Balzer...I had the same issue. White, 64GB, 3G AT&T ipad 2, purchased at Best Buy on launch day in Portland, OR. Microphone performance was almost non-existent. There was a faint recording of spoken words, but primarily (70/80%) cracking, hissing static. Really bad. Took it to Apple Store Palm Desert while on vacation...they confirmed the issue and recommended a return, so I did. Re-ordered a new unit...same except in black last Friday. Hoping for better things when my next one arrives in 2-3 weeks.
I have heard that 3G mics dont' sound as good as the WiFi ones because the mic housing in the 3G are plastic. Not that that's the problem you seem to be experiencing. Yours sounds like a defect of some sort.

sj.erickson

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
3G microphone issues

Jomo25...you're exactly correct about the reported problems with the mic in the 3G models. I even mentioned the iLounge article to the guy in the Apple store...he didn't respond. (They're probably advised not to comment on rumor-type articles posted in blogging sites). Anyway, I was told that my problem was uniquely bad given the fact that the microphone isn't marketed as being a super high quality component of iPad 2.

sj.erickson

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
New Ipad 2 - microphone works great

To any who've been following. Received my new iPad 2 3G - AT&T. Microphone works perfectly. Took some video of my kids in the backyard and it looks and sounds great. Thus, my first one was clearly a unique defective unit.

doyouloveit?

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
I have the same problem as well with my 32GB Verizon ipad. Worked fine when I first got it, but when I face chat or skype with friends or family they can't hear me unless I pretty much scream right in the mic...even then they said it is faint. I called Apple and they said return it, which I will, but I want to wait until stores are stocked and I don't have to wait.

Also, I put on a ghost armor skin on the back, which I understand needs to be removed before I return. Would Apple offer some type of itunes gift card for the cost of purchasing another skin?

WHKSr

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Same Issue noted on Wifi Only version IPAD2

Just noticed as I have not used microphone until wife got Iphone 4 and we tried to FaceTime. Will be returning to Apple Store to see options.

HARLEY143

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
IPAD 2 microphone problem

I had a 64 3G black and encountered the same problem, so I decided to try and update the software thinking it might solve the problem, however, like the first one I had the update started and then stopped with an error message and the IPAD went black and could not be restored. Took it back again for the second time and they are getting another one for me. Not really sure I like having these problems considering the amount of money I spent. (Going on my third IPAD).

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
64GB black wifi here with the same problem, replaced without issue at the Apple store.

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
I have a 16GB Wi-Fi, and I too have this issue. It once worked, but no longer does. Unfortunately I can't get to an Apple store so I'm sending it in to be repaired/replaced, which means no iPad for a week or so. Does anyone know what are the chances of it being replaced, as opposed to being repaired? I don't want it to be replaced to one with lots of light leakage, but on the flip side I don't want them to scratch it while repairing it, as it is pristine in its current condition.

fieldj1955

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
ipad 2 microphone problem

I found a simple fix for my version of the problem. Audio through the built in mic became so muffled that it was unusable. When I looked at the hole, I was astonished to see how small it is and wondered whether it might be clogged with gunk or debris. Took a damp tooth brush to it and voila...back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.