Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I used iPhone Explorer (free) to edit the file system. I also used Text Wrangler (free) to edit the .plist files

First:

Navigate to Root > var > mobile > Library > Preferences > com.apple.springboard.plist

Copy it to you Mac, add the following line, and replace old file with new.

<key>SBUseSystemGestures</key>
<true/>

Second:

Navigate to Root > System > Library > CoreServices > SpringBoard.app > N90AP.plist

Copy it to you Mac, add the following line, and replace old file with new.

<key>multitasking-gestures</key>
<true/>

Third:

Navigate to Root > Applications > Preferences.app > General.plist

Copy it to you Mac and replace existing code with new. Old code is about 3/4 down in the file and replace old file with new.

OLD CODE TO DELETE:

<dict>
<key>cell</key>
<string>PSGroupCell</string>
<key>footerCellClass</key>
<string>MultitaskingGestureExplanationView</string>
<key>id</key>
<string>Mutltitasking_Gesture_Group</string>
<key>requiredCapabilities</key>
<array>
<string>multitasking-gestures</string>
</array>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>cell</key>
<string>PSSwitchCell</string>
<key>default</key>
<true/>
<key>defaults</key>
<string>com.apple.springboard</string>
<key>id</key>
<string>Mutltitasking_Gesture_Switch</string>
<key>key</key>
<string>SBUseSystemGestures</string>
<key>label</key>
<string>Multitasking_Gestures</string>
<array>
</array>
</dict>

NEW CODE TO ADD IN ITS PLACE:

<dict>
<key>cell</key>
<string>PSGroupCell</string>
<key>footerCellClass</key>
<string>MultitaskingGestureExplanationView</string>
<array>
</array>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>cell</key>
<string>PSSwitchCell</string>
<key>default</key>
<true/>
<key>defaults</key>
<string>com.apple.springboard</string>
<key>key</key>
<string>SBUseSystemGestures</string>
<key>label</key>
<string>Multitasking Gestures</string>
<array>
</array>
</dict>

Respring or restart and now you will have gestures and the ability to turn them on and off in preferences.

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
A lot of the plist editing is easier to do in iFile using the property list editor. I tried it when on a tethered 4.3 JB but could never get the app switch (left or right 4 finger swipe) to work. It would only show the animation and switch to the same app I was already in.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
A lot of the plist editing is easier to do in iFile using the property list editor. I tried it when on a tethered 4.3 JB but could never get the app switch (left or right 4 finger swipe) to work. It would only show the animation and switch to the same app I was already in.

Seems like a lot more then it is. Only takes a couple of minuets. For some reason iFile on my phone or iPad will not save .plist files. This is why I used the other method.

Last edited:

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
How is this easier? Seems much easier to me with Xcode.

Not dealing with a 4.5 gb download and paying $5.00? I don't know if it is easier really nor am I claiming it is. Just saying it is easy and can be done very quickly. If your not comfortable editing .plist files then there are other methods as mentioned. All your doing is editing 3 files on the phone. Come on... ;)

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
How is this easier? Seems much easier to me with Xcode.

Not dealing with a 4.5 gb download and paying $5.00? I don't know if it is easier really not am I claiming it is. Just saying it is easy and can be done very quickly. If your not comfortable editing .plist files then there are other methods as mentioned. All your doing is editing 3 files on the phone. Come on... Personally, gestures makes a lot more sense on the iPad compared to the iPhone as at least my 4 fingers takes up the whole screen. LOL but it is useful.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Not sure where in the .plists I'm supposed to put these?

[Edit] P.s. Doing this screwed up all my FolderEnhancer folders.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Does the xcode trick work for an iPhone 4 on 4.3 as well? I did it with my iPad, but my iPhone is JB on 4.2 w/bb .01.59 so I haven't upgraded it yet...

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
this is awesome - thanks to OP
will try this tomorrow when i have some free time

Just be vigilant you don't delete the wrong section of code and always make backups of the originals in case you screw up. It works great on my iPad and iPhone. Just wish my iPad1 had some more ram.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Not sure where in the .plists I'm supposed to put these?

[Edit] P.s. Doing this screwed up all my FolderEnhancer folders.

Step 1 you would add the value like below

<key>SBUseHardwareSwitchAsOrientationLock</key>
<false/>
<key>SBUseSystemGestures</key>
<true/>

It does not have to be in that exact place but you can't break up the other code. Think of it as a parameter being set to true or false.

Same concept on step 2.

Step 3 is obvious.

If something got screwed up its because you did not add it correctly. Be vigilant when you do this.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Wow that's great lavrishevo, thanks for posting! I know there's a tweak in Cydia to do this for the iPod Touch 4G but nothing yet for the iPhone.

Edit - Just tried it and got it working. I did a respring the fist time and while the option appeared in Settings the gestures didn't work. I did a reboot and it's working fine.

Last edited:

groovs

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
HI ...
i cant open N90AP.plist and com.apple.springboard.plist ...... i am using plist editor pro ... i copy these files to my mac and then when i try to open them to edit plist pro gives an error ...

Any ideas ?

gonzalohigua

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
well i did it quite well as MT Gestures creator explain in his last tweak update and now it works, have the option off on .. anyway .. the think is: is this useful?? honestly think is not (@iphone4)

A420Turbo

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
NY
Cool tip

For multitasking bar all four fingers dont have to be on the touch screen initially to work. ex: You can start the gesture by putting your pointer, middle and ring finger on the screen and your thumb can start next to the home button. As you swipe up all 4 fingers come in contact with the screen and you get your multitasking bar. Seems alot easier than trying to contort and cram all your fingers at once on the screen.

drummr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
I've got my "slide in gesture" in activator set to open the multitasking bar when you "slide in" from the bottom left of the screen. A lot easier than these 4 finger gestures...

A420Turbo

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
NY
I do agree that activator is alot easier of a way of going about it. Its just that sometimes (most of the time) my "slide in" gesture has a mind of its own and only activates when it wants to.

For now I set the multitasking bar to the "slide down from status bar" (works everytime) but it seems weird to slide down and then MT bar slides up. Anybody got any ideas for a better gesture for the MT bar?

Until then maybe we can hope for some additional gestures in activator maybe a 3 finger swipe up or maybe we'll see some of these soon :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.