Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MotherFinMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
San Diego California
Found this on there, website, I hope the commuter is soon to follow

NOT AVAILABLE YET

http://www.otterbox.com/iPad-2-Defe...PAD2_color=D9&start=1&cgid=apple-ipad-2-cases

apl2-ipad2-d9.jpg

apl2-ipad2-d9-1.jpg

apl2-ipad2-d9-2.jpg

apl2-ipad2-d9-3.jpg

apl2-ipad2-d9-4.jpg

apl2-ipad2-d9-5.jpg

Last edited:

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Still 'coming soon', not even an estimated ship date.

Had one for the ipad 1, great case if you're taking a pad into a rough environment and value maximum protection over increased size and weight. Nice stand on the case, too.

Think I'll pass this time around and look for something a bit less bulky and heavy. I travel with my ipad, but this is a bit of overkill. No magnetized instant on feature for this case as well. Think I'm going to go the back shell plus smart cover for the v2.

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Still 'coming soon', not even an estimated ship date.

Had one for the ipad 1, great case if you're taking a pad into a rough environment and value maximum protection over increased size and weight. Nice stand on the case, too.

Think I'll pass this time around and look for something a bit less bulky and heavy. I travel with my ipad, but this is a bit of overkill. No magnetized instant on feature for this case as well. Think I'm going to go the back shell plus smart cover for the v2.

Yeah same here. I was really a big fan of otterbox and i had one on my iphone and 1st gen ipad but i opted not to get one for my ipad 2.

looking at the pictures, i'm not a big fan of that exposed speaker grill. i know that it has to be exposed but they could've put covers on it like the ones they put on the 3GS' defender case speaker port.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I'm disappointed in this. Their first iPad case covered the bezel. But this case is showing the bezel so I guess to attract the people with the white iPads.. And 90 bucks is way too much money... This is a failure, there will be a cheaper and better option.

seanpholman

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
The Defender is overkill for me, I e-mailed them about the Commuter today. That looks perfect.

--Sean

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I'm disappointed in this. Their first iPad case covered the bezel. But this case is showing the bezel so I guess to attract the people with the white iPads.. And 90 bucks is way too much money... This is a failure, there will be a cheaper and better option.

i didn't even noticed that. you're right, they left most of the bezel open..

clyde2801

macrumors 601

The rough and/or paranoid will love this case; that's what it's meant for. Others may not want the bulk and weight that this case costs.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I ordered a leather case similar to the smartcover... but isn't shipped till the end of the month. I have a cheap case that someone gave me till it arrives. Now that I see this... I wish I waited. Oh well... I'll just wait till I see the commuters case. I need a case with a little more protections... because I allow my kids to play with my iPad 2.

Cheetablaze

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
This shall be mine! I'm not really feeling the open bezel thing though. You buy otter box to protect, not brag about the pretty useless white bezel. With this much open area I'm hoping it comes with something to seal up the front from dirt and water.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Shoot that's expensive :eek: but it is a really nice case I'll wait for amazon to sell it for 50 bucks.:D

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
This shall be mine! I'm not really feeling the open bezel thing though. You buy otter box to protect, not brag about the pretty useless white bezel. With this much open area I'm hoping it comes with something to seal up the front from dirt and water.

The open bezel and the price is making me mad. I wish there was an alternative. But I don't see no other tough cases with otterboxes reputation on the market.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
All you guys are incorrect about it having an exposed bezel. If you read the color description, you'd see "black plastic lid, clear plastic base, black silicone"

The "exposed" bezel that you think you see is actually clear plastic. A few of the photos are photoshops so it's difficult to see this.

XXFirefighter

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011

Funny I think this is a HUGE WIN ! Sure there's something gonna be cheaper... better? No way possible...

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I pre ordered this case @ http://www.cellularaccessory.com/apl2-ipad2-20-e4otr.html and I just got an email saying it was shipped and that it'll be here on friday, how is that possible??
The otter box website doesn't even have them to purchase.
I hope they don't send me the 1st gen one or they'll be getting a call from me.
Anyone order from this company before? If so do they sell genuine/ original stuff?

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
I pre ordered this case @ http://www.cellularaccessory.com/apl2-ipad2-20-e4otr.html and I just got an email saying it was shipped and that it'll be here on friday, how is that possible??
Anyone order from this company before? If so do they sell genuine/ original stuff?

Interesting. When did you order and when did the ship email come? Did the ship email contain tracking info?

I did some googling and they appear legit and have been around since 2000. I placed an order just now using TAKE5 coupon and got it for $55 shipped - much better than $90 from otterbox. Thanks - I hope!

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I also ordered using UPS for shipping. The TAKE5 coupon only works for regular mail. I hope this works out I'm very suspicious of low brand online resellers. I hope this experience is a good one.

NunnOtha

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

kovey said:

Interesting. When did you order and when did the ship email come? Did the ship email contain tracking info?

I did some googling and they appear legit and have been around since 2000. I placed an order just now using TAKE5 coupon and got it for $55 shipped - much better than $90 from otterbox. Thanks - I hope!

I just called the number posted on cellular accessories website. The guy I spoke with said they were told by otterbox that they would have it on hand and ready to ship by Friday, If otterbox does not drop the ball.
I could not imagine this website having priority over larger vendors or even otterbox.com preorders but if so, it's a deal no one can beat. Let us know how it works out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.