Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dont24

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
Thanks for the link. I pulled the trigger on 2001FP for the same price. I really wanted the WS version, but my current video card on my PC doesn't support 1680x1050. My plan is to switch to Mac soon, but still keep my PC around during the transition period. Great price for a 20" monitor that has both vga and DVI inputs.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I just got one of these as a refurb for $448, and I love it. SVGA and DVI (and S-video & composite too). Works great with my KVM and my Mac. Sharp, bright and beautiful. No dead pixels, BTW.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
dont24 said:
Thanks for the link. I pulled the trigger on 2001FP for the same price. I really wanted the WS version, but my current video card on my PC doesn't support 1680x1050. My plan is to switch to Mac soon, but still keep my PC around during the transition period. Great price for a 20" monitor that has both vga and DVI inputs.

I site here looking at my 19 inch, 1.5 year old CRT wonderning how I can convince my wife that we need a new monitor. :(

Hopefully by next year the 24 inch will be <$700.

dont24

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
edesignuk said:
Why don't you look at the specs? :rolleyes:

It has 4 inputs.

I did. I saw it had 4 inputs. I couldn't find anything about switching between them. I just wanted to make sure that an active DVI input doesn't "disable" the vga input. On my CRT HD TV, Input 1 has DVI and component. DVI signal
overrides the component, if both devices are on. Just want to make sure this isn't the case with the DEll lcds. thanks again....

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
dont24 said:
I did. I saw it had 4 inputs. I couldn't find anything about switching between them. I just wanted to make sure that an active DVI input doesn't "disable" the vga input. On my CRT HD TV, Input 1 has DVI and component. DVI signal
overrides the component, if both devices are on. Just want to make sure this isn't the case with the DEll lcds. thanks again....
Fair enough. Yes, you can switch between all 4 inputs, have one plugged in does not disable another :)

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Damn!

I just bought this monitor on eBay not two weeks ago for $599 with free shipping.

GREAT monitor by the way, I love it. :D

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
edesignuk said:
Fair enough. Yes, you can switch between all 4 inputs, have one plugged in does not disable another :)
You can't PIP the DVI and VGA at the same time, though. That's the only bad thing I have to say about this monitor.

It's a steal.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Is this worth it? Almost seems too good to be true - decent specs. Any longevity issues? Backlight bleeding? Anyone know?

I am in need, but a cautious buyer - some replies above seem quite favorable for this monitor.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
ziwi said:
Is this worth it? Almost seems too good to be true - decent specs. Any longevity issues? Backlight bleeding? Anyone know?

I am in need, but a cautious buyer - some replies above seem quite favorable for this monitor.
Search around, there's loads of threads on this screen. I have one and it's brilliant, there are quite a number of others here that have them too and have commented in other threads.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
Wide or not wide?

I really want one(or two of these) but I am not understanding of the benefits of the widescreen vs. the regular screen. Can anyone explain this?
At these prices I can have 2 20" LCDs for the price of one Apple display.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
edesignuk said:
Search around, there's loads of threads on this screen. I have one and it's brilliant, there are quite a number of others here that have them too and have commented in other threads.

In and done - I just could not resist the deal.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Don M. said:
You can't PIP the DVI and VGA at the same time, though. That's the only bad thing I have to say about this monitor.

It's a steal.

That's my only complaint also... you can't Picture by Picture it either... you can have a DVI or VGA PIP or PBP your S-Video or Composite though...

Otherwise... wonderful monitor.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
do you think apple will drop prices again on them? I mean as nice looking as they are, im not willing to spend double the price for it.. They better get off their high horse and do something about it..

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
I've heard alot of good feedback about the dell monitors .Only thing is that horrible midnight gray color :rolleyes:

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I'm getting ready to build a 64bit amd system and this sucker is going on it, ordered mine and damn, I'm excited now.

Now all I need to do is pick of a pci-express video card....

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
edesignuk said:
Seeing as the Apple 20" of twice the price (!!!!) doesn't even do PIP of any kind, I don't see it as an issue...
As I still have a PC next to my PM that I turn on once every month :) the ability to do PIP w/ VGA (PC) and the DVI (PM) would be nice. Just some added flexibility.

Don't get me wrong: I love this monitor, I love the price, and I love the Dell exchange policy for bad pixels (they exchanged mine, no questions asked). We're kinda reaching here to find something bad to say about what is an extraordinary value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.