Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
I have a ton of duplicates in my library, when I "show duplicates" is there a quicker way to get rid of them other than selecting each one and deleting. Thanks

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
yes, but when you have
song1
song1
song2
song2 X's 100
it take's quite a while to go through and get every other one. Just thought there was an easier way. Or is it showing ONLY the duplicates. IE is song 1 and song 1 really numbers 2 and 3 copies of the original?? I was assuming that song1 is the original and song1 #2 was the duplicate. Anyway.. you get the idea I hope. thanks

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Usually I do show duplicates and then sort by Album. For instance, I have all the John Mayer As/Is albums which have a lot of the same songs from different live shows. So if it shows the song 3x5 twice (since they are by default orderded by song) when I sort them by album if they are still next to each other then they are not only the same song but the same album... then I can investigate it further. But it would show both copies of 3x5 instead of just the one "duplicate".

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Does it really take that long to hold the cmd key down, scroll through the list and click on every other song...? Then mark them and/or delete them...

I wouldn't want any feature that tried to do something like that automaticly anywhere near my iTunes library, if that's what you'd like... some things are just safer to do manually... :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
Learjet035 said:
Or is it showing ONLY the duplicates. IE is song 1 and song 1 really numbers 2 and 3 copies of the original?? I was assuming that song1 is the original and song1 #2 was the duplicate. Anyway.. you get the idea I hope. thanks

You're assuming right. It shows you the original and duplicate.

There isn't an easier way of deleting than going through. I've always thought this is partly because not all the duplicates are ones you want to get rid off. Sure, the same single on different compilations can go - but for favourite artists, people often have various versions - live, unplugged, studio and iTunes would tag them all as duplicates. A fast way of deleting might end up with more complaints that kudos.

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
got it, thanks. Somehow I ended up with 3/4 of my music duplicated, sometimes 3 times. No idea how I did that, so yes, "holding the cmd key" and scrolling through about 2000 songs and trying to figure out which are supposed to be there and which aren't is a huge pain. Guess I could just dump it all and start over. I'll see what I can do. Thanks

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Learjet035 said:
got it, thanks. Somehow I ended up with 3/4 of my music duplicated, sometimes 3 times. No idea how I did that, so yes, "holding the cmd key" and scrolling through about 2000 songs and trying to figure out which are supposed to be there and which aren't is a huge pain. Guess I could just dump it all and start over. I'll see what I can do. Thanks

There is an AppleScript that will do this for you. Linkety is a great site.

I'm going to assume that you have a Mac...
Linkety is to a search for what you want. Look at the top one. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.