Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prouss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and an Airport Express, which had been working well for over a year. I recently (foolishly?) upgraded the Express to 7.5.2 and now it's very erratic - there's usually a connection but the speed is frequently very slow. I haven't upgraded the Airport Extreme yet, and so I'm wondering what to do: (i) upgrade the Extreme on the theory that it's the difference in versions that's causing the problems; or (ii) downgrade the Express back to 7.4.2; or (iii) fiddle around with resetting the Express.

Having read (too late) about problems with 7.5.2 I'd really like to go with door #2, but I can't find a link to download the firmware anywhere.

So I would appreciate suggestions, and if the recommendation is for the downgrade route, a link to an actual download site (Apple shows only the 7.5.2 version).

Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
To downgrade Airport firmware, select the device in Airport Utility, then in the Base Station menu, click Upload Firmware. In the popup the appears, select the version you want to upload.

prouss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
To downgrade Airport firmware, select the device in Airport Utility, then in the Base Station menu, click Upload Firmware. In the popup the appears, select the version you want to upload.

What's odd is that when I tried that on one Mac it opened up a Finder window and the only version I could find wasn't compatible, but when I did it on another it showed versions to revert to. (Also, it's under Summary - Version in Airport Utility 5.5.2, not Base Station). Now I've downgraded, I'll cross my fingers and hope the performance is back. I guess it would be pointless to ask why Apple puts out these upgrades that so many people have problems with.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.