Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 9, 2011, 03:57 PM   #1
verveguitar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
Burned DVD plays on TV DVD Player but not on Mac?

Hi I had an old band performance recorded on a VHS camcorder which I today hooked up to my stand alone DVD player/recorder via the AV cable (the camcorder doesn't have any usb/firewire output due to age) and burned a DVD.

The DVD plays fine on stand alone DVD players you hook up to a TV but when I put it onto my PowerBook G4 it says the DVD is empty?

I tried it on a HP Laptop with the same outcome so it's not a Mac issue.

I've googled this to little avail so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The end result for this was to put the recording up on YouTube....
verveguitar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Have you finalised the DVD inside the DVD recorder you recorded the DVD with?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:38 PM   #3
verveguitar
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Have you finalised the DVD inside the DVD recorder you recorded the DVD with?
not sure... the process of the DVD recorder is literally:

press record, then when you've got what you wanted press stop and it burns it do the DVD ...and that's it done.

It comes out and then it plays no problem on DVD players... but appears as a blank DVD on computers...
verveguitar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:46 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by verveguitar View Post
not sure... the process of the DVD recorder is literally:

press record, then when you've got what you wanted press stop and it burns it do the DVD ...and that's it done.

It comes out and then it plays no problem on DVD players... but appears as a blank DVD on computers...
Either tell us what exact model of DVD recorder you have or look into the manual of your recorder under "finalise" or something similar.
To play the video DVD on a computer, it needs to be finalised, as DVD drive in computers differ from DVD drives in video DVD recorders.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:56 PM   #5
verveguitar
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
..it's a Funai DVD Recorder... (I've personally never heard of them before) no manual (or remote control for that matter) as it was inherited from a family member moving house.. so can't be much more exact.

Is there a way of finalising it on my mac? I mean the DVD shows up no problem, it's literally that it can't see it's contents?

The disc is a DVD-R btw just in case that helps.

Any ideas would be greatly received.
verveguitar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:11 PM   #6
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
I don't know of a way to finalise a video DVD in Mac OS X or Windows, normally it needs to be done with a video DVD recorder.
Doesn't the DVD recorder have some kind of label on the back or bottom?
Or does the DVD recorder not have something like this printed on it?
But without remote, it will be almost impossible to finalise the video DVD, as it is done via menus normally.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:42 PM   #7
martinX
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
What Sim said. This is exactly the behavior of an unfinalised disc. You must finalize it and you must finalize it in the model that recorded it.

Having said that, I have had success with unfinalised DVD+Rs in my Mac, but it can be hit and miss playing them back on other DVD players in an unfinalised state.

Good luck doing it without a remote though...
martinX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:02 AM   #8
verveguitar
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
I think you're both right... without the remote control I have no way of finalising it.

The DVD player/recorder does have some kind of optical out so it might be worth seeing if I can hook it up directly to my Mac, playing the DVD and recording it that way via VLC or something.

Thanks everyone for your help.
verveguitar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:48 AM   #9
martinX
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by verveguitar View Post
The DVD player/recorder does have some kind of optical out so it might be worth seeing if I can hook it up directly to my Mac, playing the DVD and recording it that way via VLC or something.
The optical connection is audio. It's a way of shifting 5.1 sound around the place without making people go crazy with cabling.

Re-record your tape on a DVD recorder u can finalise easily. I like the Panasonics I have, mainly because when I eject a burned DVD it asks me if I want to finalise, and if so, push the REC button and away it goes. Otherwise, the function is buried deep in an arcane menu structure that requires a dozen key presses. Why, O Why can't I get a reasonably priced PAL DVD recorder with serial control...
martinX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:55 PM   #10
verveguitar
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinX View Post
The optical connection is audio. It's a way of shifting 5.1 sound around the place without making people go crazy with cabling.

Re-record your tape on a DVD recorder u can finalise easily. I like the Panasonics I have, mainly because when I eject a burned DVD it asks me if I want to finalise, and if so, push the REC button and away it goes. Otherwise, the function is buried deep in an arcane menu structure that requires a dozen key presses. Why, O Why can't I get a reasonably priced PAL DVD recorder with serial control...
Oh really? Is there another way of getting VHS Camcorder recordings onto the Mac? I've seen a few AV to USB cables on Amazon but they all need Windows operating systems
verveguitar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:59 PM   #11
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by verveguitar View Post
Oh really? Is there another way of getting VHS Camcorder recordings onto the Mac? I've seen a few AV to USB cables on Amazon but they all need Windows operating systems
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/main...oduct1.en.html
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 05:42 PM   #12
martinX
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110

Cheaper to get a cheapy DVD recorder and connect to a VHS player you may have. Then import/transcode the VOBs using MPEG Streamclip (you'll need Apple's MPEG2 Quicktime component if you don't already have it). Don't forget to finalise the discs
martinX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Tags
blank dvd, dvd reader, dvd ripping

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burned DVD won't play in DVD player, but will on Mac? nobodyhome Digital Video 21 Jun 13, 2014 03:54 PM
2008 iMac External DVD/CD Player plays no movies gholmes1936 iMac 3 Jan 11, 2014 06:18 PM
iDVD fails and burnt DVD using Disk Utility doesn't work on DVD player rockizza08 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 May 21, 2013 08:15 PM
Video DVD's burned on my MBP won't be played by DVD-players ConscienceNL MacBook Pro 0 Aug 18, 2012 07:41 AM
This is the last straw. (Mac Pro with Lion won't play DVD-Rs burned on a Mac). StephenCampbell Mac Basics and Help 5 Jul 22, 2012 02:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC