Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I took the leap yesterday and replaced my little used superdrive with an OWC DataDoubler/HDD-combo. That's a great piece of hardware, by the way. Everything's in working order, but not quite to my likings overall. I've an SSD in the main drive slot, trying to keep battery drainage to a minimum. But that measure is compromised by the fact that the hard drive automatically spins up at power-on, sucking battery and making noise. I don't want that! Is there a way to prevent the system from powering the drive until I myself want to access it in OSX?

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm, harder then I first thought I to would love an answer to this, sure I could find it if I searched enough. Just to note, it is mostly what happens when you are using the machine and you won't notice huge battery gains anyway.

steean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
You're probably right the gains won't be huge, but it's just a perfectionist issue - I wanna be in total control of when the computer accesses the disk. Sure I can edit fstab to not automunt it at boot, but that won't affect what happens at power-on, or am I wrong.
By the way, is there a more elegant way of editing mount options than by fstab?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.