Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
NYC
Hey MR!

I've had the new iPad 2 since day one with the smart cover attached pretty much 24/7. I have, as the thread title says, the gray polyurethane cover. I always flip the smart cover over when I'm using it. As a result, it's starting to get a little dirty on the inside, with dirt & other stuff that makes the inside dirty starting to show up inside the cover. Am I alone, or does this happen to others? More importantly, does anyone know of any liquid or technique that can help clean the inside microfiber part if the cover? Thanks for any help!

XXFirefighter

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
OMG ppl it's not brain science here...

Grab a towel/washcloth.
Spray some general purpose cleaner on it..... Some warm water, wipe off a few times... Then turn to new side, warm water only, wipe more. Let dry, and your done. There's no special cleaner. It's not a exotic material.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA

Grab a towel/washcloth.
Spray some general purpose cleaner on it..... Some warm water, wipe off a few times... Then turn to new side, warm water only, wipe more. Let dry, and your done. There's no special cleaner. It's not a exotic material.

The material on the outside of the SmartCover isn't exotic, that's true. But, one doesn't know what is between the polyurethane or leather. For example, many items (not necessarily talking about Apple) may have a polyurethane covering or leather covering but the inside is actually some type of cardboard. If you wash those items by soaking it or using a wet washcloth, it could damage the cardboard inside. Now, is there cardboard inside the SmartCover, I don't know.

That's why I think some of us (myself included) asked how to clean the Smart Cover. Of course, if it's JUST polyurethane through and through, then yeah, soak it or whatever.

XXFirefighter

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
The material on the outside of the SmartCover isn't exotic, that's true. But, one doesn't know what is between the polyurethane or leather. For example, many items (not necessarily talking about Apple) may have a polyurethane covering or leather covering but the inside is actually some type of cardboard. If you wash those items by soaking it or using a wet washcloth, it could damage the cardboard inside. Now, is there cardboard inside the SmartCover, I don't know.

That's why I think some of us (myself included) asked how to clean the Smart Cover. Of course, if it's JUST polyurethane through and through, then yeah, soak it or whatever.

Ok, then wring the cloth out so it's just damp, and WIPE !
I didn't say soak it, I was hoping common sense would have kicked in...
ME? What am I going to do to clean mine? Exactly what I said.
I'm going to get a washcloth.. hot water, wring it out... So it's barely damp, then wipe the inside down. Then I'm going to spray some of this on the cloth...

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-35-adams-carpet-upholstery-cleaner.aspx

Then I'm going to scrub lightly... with the VERY SLIGHTLY DAMP cloth...
Then I will let it dry.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale

Grab a towel/washcloth.

no, this is exactly right - it's no more of a project than wiping down your desk or your seats in your car. Don't overthink this. 409, windex, whatever - wipe and get back on with your life...

but if you are still radically perplexed, see this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1127366/

legendlcox

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Material

What is in the cover is not cardboard, it is plastic and metal within part of it is the magnets. :apple:

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
The bigger problem is that the microfiber on the inside of the case will eventually get dirty and will "soak up" (if you will) the oil left on your screen, causing it to feel less soft and appear older. I'm relatively sure that this is normal wear on an item like this, and it would just have to get replaced eventually.

THEGREEKBADGER

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013

Grab a towel/washcloth.

Well the point is that the smart cover's interior is smooth so that it does not damage the screen. Adding a simple cleaner may damage the surface and it may become harder and eventually damage the screen. Now if you have tested that yourself then ok, it will probably work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.