Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:49 PM   #1
writingstone
macrumors newbie

Can I use iPhoto the way I use iTunes?

FML Ahhhhhhh... sigh. - So this is the second time I am writing this out as I apparently wasn't logged in & after 20 minutes of writing a great post... it was not saved. So it won't be as well written as the first but such is life.

That being said the previous crash gave me an idea that already solved my problem so I will write it out & give a little detail on my solution.

iPhoto has swallowed about 6000 pictures that have disappeared into a black hole of unusable mishmash.

I however have been using iTunes as a catch all for any music, movie, speech or voice memo that I create so I figure lets tweak it to do what I want, how I want.

I want to use iPhoto in a very simple format that has few rules & say 10 or less categories as I am not a professional photographer but instead use my iPhone to catch ideas, pictures of cool things for writing, work, family, cars, guns, homes etc.

iTunes is currently at around 26,000 songs, they all go into Music (the folder at the top left corner of the sidebar. I have all my music sorted into smart playlists so I can focus on what I want versus sifting thru them all.

1. First off I use a smart playlist called 000Music as the first of a dozen playlists that filters out everything that isn't music, this one removes spoken word, audio books, movies or voice memos. Etc.
2. Next I activly filter songs when I listen to them via iPod, so songs that I hear & hate get a 1 star, once a week I remove all 1 star songs & resync my iDevices. Songs I like but need to edit get a 2star, songs i love get up to 4 stars & then graduate to 5 stars after being listened to 10 times.
3. Songs for the gym or by artist get sorted by different filters that all remove or filter out impurities... so my playlist is distilled content.

iPhoto has been a challenge to use effectively as I was a long time Windows NT user for my files & MAC well using finder for photos just wasn't working.

So I was looking for a way to do this in iPhoto, when I found the Keyword tag. I have probably 9 or 10 main albums from Homes, Music, People, Cars, Girls, Business, Scenes, Graphs, Text etc.

I went in & created smart playlists that copy each existing album name, then went into each album & selected all photos in that album, then a box showed up on the right panel, i entered tag name the same as the album it was in.

Then I deleted the album & looked in the smart album… poof done.

Thoughts ideas, or WTF comments welcome.

Why is it the second time I do something its almost always better & yet looks less polished than the first? While I was writing this second post my Internet timed out again, so I finished this post in word… sigh.

Update, I finished an initial general sort of about 1100 initial photos in 20 minutes.
writingstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 02:28 AM   #2
ApfelKuchen
macrumors 6502a

Congrats! You figured out something that many newcomers to iPhoto don't. Yep, iTunes and iPhoto have a whole lot in common.

You can look upon Albums as Playlists, Smart Albums as Smart Playlists (and Smart Mailboxes). Faces, Places, Photos... little different than Songs, Albums, Artists, Genres, Composers.... They're all just different ways to display the contents of a database.

Too many believe they need to duplicate their old file system-based folder structure, or invent a "bigger, better" folder structure. You can start simply, and add new Albums as needed, on whatever criteria happen to make sense at that time. Sometimes your Albums will be hand-curated, other times they can be automated. There's never a need to tear things apart and start again. If, say, next year you come up with an entirely different way of organizing those photos, you can keep the old Smart Albums as well. They don't take up a whole lot of space.
ApfelKuchen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store