Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:26 PM   #1
sultanoflondon
macrumors member

Mail client for Mac OS X 10.10

Hi all,

I was wondering whether there is an application similar to that of Mail on iOS that will run on 10.10 Yosemite?

I have tried and experienced Mail on Mac and I do not like the UI at all. My criteria for a good mail application for 10.10 are as follows:
  • Free, I don't want to spend money on this because after all I still have my iPad
  • Easy to use
  • Checks all of my email accounts at once, I have work emails, personal emails, etc. and I would need the application to check them all at once
  • VERY IMPORTANT: SYNCHRONISES with all accounts! I have tried Inky and Thunderbird, and both do NOT do this. For example if I check my email on my iPhone and then I delete it, the email will not show up on the iPad if I check it two minutes later. It will appear in the trash. Every email client software for Mac that I have used is incapable of doing this.
  • Verified, popular, safe, etc. I do not want to install an application on my computer that could install a virus or anything like that

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:33 PM   #2
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Okay...

Mac Mail, used with IMAP accounts.

Though I'm having a hard time understanding why you expect third-party software to be both good AND free.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultanoflondon View Post
Hi all,
[*]VERY IMPORTANT: SYNCHRONISES with all accounts! I have tried Inky and Thunderbird, and both do NOT do this. For example if I check my email on my iPhone and then I delete it, the email will not show up on the iPad if I check it two minutes later. It will appear in the trash. Every email client software for Mac that I have used is incapable of doing this.

Thanks in advance!
If you check an email on one device, delete it, and then find it in the trash of another device, how is that NOT synchronized?
tdhurst is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:35 PM   #3
sultanoflondon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Mac Mail, used with IMAP accounts.

Though I'm having a hard time understanding why you expect third-party software to be both good AND free.

----------

If you check an email on one device, delete it, and then find it in the trash of another device, how is that NOT synchronized?

No that is synchronised, but Thunderbird and Inky can't seem do that.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:44 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I have tried and experienced Mail on Mac and I do not like the UI at all.
What, specifically, do you not like about the UI? The colors? Font choices? Controls?

Quote:
My criteria for a good mail application for 10.10 are as follows:
  • Free, I don't want to spend money on this because after all I still have my iPad
Mail is free.
Quote:
  • Easy to use
Mail is easy to use.
Quote:
  • Checks all of my email accounts at once,
Mail can check multiple email accounts at once. I use it to manage 6 different accounts.
Quote:
  • VERY IMPORTANT: SYNCHRONISES with all accounts! I have tried Inky and Thunderbird, and both do NOT do this. For example if I check my email on my iPhone and then I delete it, the email will not show up on the iPad if I check it two minutes later. It will appear in the trash. Every email client software for Mac that I have used is incapable of doing this.
Mail does synchronize across all accounts and all devices if you have set up IMAP properly. When you delete an item, it should go into the trash, not disappear completely. That way if you accidentally delete something, you have the opportunity to restore it, as long as you haven't emptied the trash.
Quote:
  • Verified, popular, safe, etc. I do not want to install an application on my computer that could install a virus or anything like that
You don't have to worry about that with Mail, as it comes preinstalled with OS X.

I find that most people who claim that they don't like the Mail app simply haven't fully learned how to set it up and use it properly.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2014, 02:51 AM   #5
baidoc
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to baidoc
Have you heard of Air Mail 2?

It's optimized for OSX Yosemite, best mail client.

Too bad, I had Air Mail 1, when version 2 appeard, I had to pay again..
Old Dec 13, 2014, 05:18 AM   #6
Tigerman82
macrumors regular

I loved the first Airmail for its features but didn't go with Airmail 2.0 as I felt cheated because of the pricing: I would probably have paid five dollars for it but ten, let alone twenty, is just a slap in the face for something that's a bit buggy and not significantly better than the original. I did try the Beta for Airmail 2.0 for a while, but ultimately found Yosemite Mail to be faster and more reliable.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store