Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Pontus669
macrumors newbie

iPhoto? Retrieve old photos.

Hello!
I have had 4 iPhones the last in the last 2 years. I have not saved any photos taken on there devices. If i buy iPhoto on my mac, will all my photos synced to iCloud appear in the app?
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:52 AM   #2
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontus669 View Post
Hello!
I have had 4 iPhones the last in the last 2 years. I have not saved any photos taken on there devices. If i buy iPhoto on my mac, will all my photos synced to iCloud appear in the app?
Thanks in advance.
That depends. First of all, you don't need to buy anything simply to recover your photos IF they were ever backed up in the first place.

Did you turn on Photostream on those devices and in System Preferences on your Mac? If not, chances are your photos are gone as nothing lives in the cloud much beyond 30 days or 1,000 photos and if Photostream wasn't turned on from your iPhones then most likely nothing made it to the cloud to begin with.

If you did have it turned on in both places then there is a folder on your Mac where Photostream folders go and sit waiting to be imported into iPhoto.

I have been using Photostream since the developer preview for whatever OS introduced it. I noticed that none of this was on by default so I would check the settings on both ends before you go looking for photos in ~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub/ or spend money buying iPhoto.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:58 AM   #3
MCAsan
macrumors 68020

Hejsan,

If I have photos on an iPhone, I simply download them via a data/charging cable between my iPhone and iPhoto on my Mac. No real need to do it via iCloud. Of course you can set up your iCloud account to do it through the iCloud servers.

Make sure you have the latest IOS and OS installed and your iCloud account set for streaming if you will go via iCloud. You can look at your iCloud account info and see how much data you have there for photos that have not been deleted.

MVH, Michael
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Pontus669
macrumors newbie

I solved it. I recovered my current phone to that specifik iCloud back up and gott most of my photos. Thanks for the reply guys?
MVH Pontus

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store