Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:05 AM   #1
GeekOFComedy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Send a message via AIM to GeekOFComedy Send a message via Skype™ to GeekOFComedy
Mac hanging at blue screen

It's weird, My MacBook Pro now wont boot into OS X lion, before the login screen it shows the mouse for a second and now it sticks at blue.
__________________
http://www.geekofcomedy.com
GeekOFComedy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Do not play with the fire, kid!

=====-----=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOFComedy View Post
It's weird, My MacBook Pro now wont boot into OS X lion, before the login screen it shows the mouse for a second and now it sticks at blue.
=====-----=====

From http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564
(Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?)

"Mac OS X v10.5.6 or later: A Safe Boot deletes the dynamic loader shared cache at (/var/db/dyld/). A cache with issues may cause a blue screen on startup, particularly after a Software Update. Restarting normally recreates this cache."

=====-----=====

From http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455
(Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode)

"To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:
1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
2. Press the power button.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear)."

=====-----=====



=====-----=====
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:35 AM   #3
GeekOFComedy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Send a message via AIM to GeekOFComedy Send a message via Skype™ to GeekOFComedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
=====-----=====



=====-----=====

From http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564
(Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?)

"Mac OS X v10.5.6 or later: A Safe Boot deletes the dynamic loader shared cache at (/var/db/dyld/). A cache with issues may cause a blue screen on startup, particularly after a Software Update. Restarting normally recreates this cache."

=====-----=====

From http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455
(Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode)

"To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:
1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
2. Press the power button.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear)."

=====-----=====



=====-----=====
Tried safe boot, didn't even boot in safe boot
__________________
http://www.geekofcomedy.com
GeekOFComedy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:37 AM   #4
GeekOFComedy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Send a message via AIM to GeekOFComedy Send a message via Skype™ to GeekOFComedy
Also I even tried restoring twice into earlier OS X Lion backups but that didn't even work :/
__________________
http://www.geekofcomedy.com
GeekOFComedy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOFComedy View Post
Also I even tried restoring twice into earlier OS X Lion backups but that didn't even work :/
I had a similar problem with Lion DP1. I erased the HD with Apples Disk Utility and reinstalled Lion DP1. However, the safe boot works usually in the final versions of Mac OS X.
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:01 AM   #6
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOFComedy View Post
Also I even tried restoring twice into earlier OS X Lion backups but that didn't even work :/
Can you get into the recovery partition ( command-r ) ?
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:58 AM   #7
GeekOFComedy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Send a message via AIM to GeekOFComedy Send a message via Skype™ to GeekOFComedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplegate View Post
Can you get into the recovery partition ( command-r ) ?
Yup, I tried fixing the permissions, says the group was 0 instead of 80. After that and I reboot same thing
__________________
http://www.geekofcomedy.com
GeekOFComedy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:01 PM   #8
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOFComedy View Post
Yup, I tried fixing the permissions, says the group was 0 instead of 80. After that and I reboot same thing

During a verbose boot does it hang on the same thing each time?
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:45 AM   #9
macmikey2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Send a message via AIM to macmikey2
Mine did the same thing. Both preview versions.

I would restart, blue hang, then restart with SHIFT and it would start normally. Restart again, 50% of time it would hang at blue screen.

Verbose did not help as the screen mine hung at was after OS X stops loading scrolling text, so could not see where it would stop (looking for 'we're hanging here...' message).

Finally gave up on Lion yesterday and went back to SL. Not worth trouble. Reported a bunch of stuff so I did my developer thing, now I'll just wait it out until release is near.

Mikey
__________________
The more people I meet, the more I like my cat. ~ unknown
macmikey2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transparent Blue Screen on 2011 15" MBP sandylp MacBook Pro 3 Mar 11, 2011 10:28 PM
Macbook hangs at blue screen before login window krees91 MacBook 2 Jul 15, 2010 09:37 PM
Mac OSX 10.5.7 hangs on blue screen and message that spotlight quit :( Artmuzz OS X 8 Jun 15, 2009 03:17 PM
Hanging on blue screen + other problems Sage13 Mac Basics and Help 10 Oct 19, 2008 02:14 PM
Disk 1 of Tiger install hangs on blue screen - any ideas???? ascender OS X 19 Oct 7, 2006 04:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC