Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1
ahay
macrumors newbie

Question Location of Bookmarks for Safari 5.1 in OS X 10.7

Just wondering if anyone here has been able to find the location of the Bookmarks file for Safari 5.1 in OS X Lion, previously the 'bookmarks.plist' file was under 'User/Library/Safari', but as you may have noticed in Lion this structure has been changed, there's no Library folder under the User folder now, i've looked in the the system Library folders & in Safari's package contents but can't find anything.

Has Apple changed the way Safari stores the bookmarks? Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

If anyone could advise the whereabouts it would greatly appreciated. Thanks.
ahay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Trippy Jr
macrumors member

It's still there.

Unhide the Library folder of Cmd + K to it in Finder.
Trippy Jr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:42 PM   #3
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahay View Post
Just wondering if anyone here has been able to find the location of the Bookmarks file for Safari 5.1 in OS X Lion, previously the 'bookmarks.plist' file was under 'User/Library/Safari', but as you may have noticed in Lion this structure has been changed, there's no Library folder under the User folder now, i've looked in the the system Library folders & in Safari's package contents but can't find anything.

Has Apple changed the way Safari stores the bookmarks? Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

If anyone could advise the whereabouts it would greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Same location. The user/Library is now just hidden. From the finder option+click on Go menu, and the user Library is now an option.
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:55 PM   #4
ahay
macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for that people. However I do feel mentally challenged now
ahay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 05:46 PM   #5
WG5516
macrumors regular

+1 for the google search that lead me here. Thanks folks!!!
WG5516 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Tajee
macrumors newbie

Why is the library folder now hidden?

Why is it now a hidden folder?

Tajee
Tajee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Apple feels it should hide it from you for your own good.
Cougarcat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:24 PM   #8
WUIN5I
macrumors newbie

Location of Bookmarks for Safari 5.1 in OS X 10.7

Please clarify the following reply that Trippy Jr posted on Apr 11, 2011 05:40 PM:

"It's still there. Unhide the Library folder of Cmd + K to it in Finder."

I do not understand the wording in the reply. Please elaborate on how to perform "Unhide the Library folder of Cmd + K to it in Finder." I do not understand " Cmd + K to it in Finder." How do I perform those steps?

The reason that I make this request is because I need to uninstall OS X Lion 10.7.1, perform a clean install of OS X Snow Leopard 10.6, and restore my Safari bookmarks plist file, but of course the Safari bookmarks plist file is not visible to me in a Finder window in OS X Lion 10.7.1.

Before I upgraded from OS X Snow Leopard to OS X Lion, I performed a Time Machine backup of all of my files including my Safari bookmarks plist file to my external hard drive, but that external hard drive developed a fatal problem after I installed OS X Lion, and I was not able to recover any of the files from that failed external hard drive.

I replaced the defective external hard drive with a new external hard drive and used Time Machine to backup all of my files from my Macintosh Hard Drive with OS X Lion to my new external hard drive. Afterwards, I discovered that my Safari bookmarks plist file on my external hard drive is hidden, which prevents me from restoring that file to my Macintosh Hard Drive with OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.
WUIN5I is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:14 PM   #9
ahay
macrumors newbie

Yeah I'd done the same thing with Time Machine, probably the easiest way is through finder, use the "Go" menu and select "Go to folder" or (cmd+shift+G) and type in HDD Name/Users/Your User Folder Name/Library. Or if you open your user folder in another window just drag and drop it into the box in the Go to Folder window and add /Library.

There's also an application you can use to permanently unhide the folder, I forget the name of it, but i'll post the link when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUIN5I View Post
Please clarify the following reply that Trippy Jr posted on Apr 11, 2011 05:40 PM:

"It's still there. Unhide the Library folder of Cmd + K to it in Finder."

I do not understand the wording in the reply. Please elaborate on how to perform "Unhide the Library folder of Cmd + K to it in Finder." I do not understand " Cmd + K to it in Finder." How do I perform those steps?

The reason that I make this request is because I need to uninstall OS X Lion 10.7.1, perform a clean install of OS X Snow Leopard 10.6, and restore my Safari bookmarks plist file, but of course the Safari bookmarks plist file is not visible to me in a Finder window in OS X Lion 10.7.1.

Before I upgraded from OS X Snow Leopard to OS X Lion, I performed a Time Machine backup of all of my files including my Safari bookmarks plist file to my external hard drive, but that external hard drive developed a fatal problem after I installed OS X Lion, and I was not able to recover any of the files from that failed external hard drive.

I replaced the defective external hard drive with a new external hard drive and used Time Machine to backup all of my files from my Macintosh Hard Drive with OS X Lion to my new external hard drive. Afterwards, I discovered that my Safari bookmarks plist file on my external hard drive is hidden, which prevents me from restoring that file to my Macintosh Hard Drive with OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.

Last edited by ahay; Aug 18, 2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Typo
ahay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:55 PM   #10
CultureCodec
macrumors newbie

Probably old news now, but in case the OP is interested...to permanently un-hide the ~/Library/ folder, go to Terminal and enter:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/
CultureCodec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:15 AM   #11
MuchoMac
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb Fastest way...

The fastest way I use to get to the user Library directory. Press the "Go" menu in the Finder and it will show up as an option when you press the "Option" key.

Press the option key and let go a few times so that you can see the difference it makes in this and other menus.
MuchoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion