Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:18 PM   #1
kandnic
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Can Apple track down my stolen Macbook through IP addresses?

Hey

Just wondering if anyone knows if Apple can track down my macbook that was stolen last Thursday from my house?

They have told me they can't, but I find that hard to believe. Surely when a person logs my computer onto the internet and it searches for software updates (which it does automatically) Apple could trace its location couldn't they??

I am sure everyone can hear the desperation in my typing....my Mac had all my photos and stuff on it and the AH stole it before I had a chance to back them up on my new iMac. I am desperate to get them back and am trying to exhaust all avenues....

K
kandnic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:29 PM   #2
atticus18244fsa
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
I doubt Apple would ever help you out plus there's absolutely no way for them to find your IP (that's if for some reason they even transmit your serial number when update checking) without a lot of work. I suggest installing Prey on your system (or new system) when you get it back. It would help you tracks your computer yourself if it's stolen.

http://preyproject.com/
atticus18244fsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:42 PM   #3
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Unfortunately, it's not possible for Apple to do this. They may have a record of all serial numbers of Macs purchased, but there aren't IP addresses associated with those serial numbers. Apple was telling you the truth. Besides, even if Apple did know, all they would do would be to give the information to the local authorities. Apple is in no way obliged to find your computer, nor is it remotely profitable for them to do so. If you know your Mac's IP, go to the police, as that will be your best bet.

I highly recommend Prey as well.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:48 PM   #4
laudern
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Thanks so much.. That prey program is awesome. Ive just started travelling around the states and this is a wicked idea. And its free. If they release an iphone app as well that would be great as well....I reported my macbook lost and it did exactly what it said it would do and took a photo of my and located the address im currently at. Brilliant product...
laudern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Moomba
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
The short answer is, No. Not gonna happen.

The long answer is... when you connect to a network the only unique identifier visible on the network is your MAC address; your serial number at no point is ever a fixture of any packets. Your MAC address is a unique number sequence used to identify your network card (yes, your internal ethernet jack & your wifi card will both have unique MAC's.) An IP Address is simply a construct used to identify your network card on your respective subnet. Often your IP will change based on a number of factors such as time, location, or which port you are plugged into for examples. Further, your IP typically can't be used to track down your precise location without intervention on behalf of the respective ISP. In order to do what you want someone would have to first off know the MAC of the laptops' NIC, track it down to an associated IP (not logistically feasible), and then have the ISP track down the IP with an associated physical address. It's simply not going to happen.

The only way would be if you had some sort of tracking software installed in your laptop. However, these are only good assuming the culprit that stole the laptop is an idiot and connects it to the internet as it is/was. If software can be installed to track it down, it can also be just as easily uninstalled. Some laptops even build these features into the system's BIOS, but even these too can by bypassed with minimal effort. The trick is being aware of them and not taking any chances. Then again, many criminals aren't very bright to begin with so the recovery rate with services like this is decent.
Moomba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:24 AM   #6
atticus18244fsa
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by laudern View Post
Thanks so much.. That prey program is awesome. Ive just started travelling around the states and this is a wicked idea. And its free. If they release an iphone app as well that would be great as well....I reported my macbook lost and it did exactly what it said it would do and took a photo of my and located the address im currently at. Brilliant product...
Yep it's a great program. Hopefully we both never have to use it for real though.
atticus18244fsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:52 AM   #7
kandnic
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
***Sigh***

Thanks everyone for your posts. I guess I am just grasping for straws at this point.

It is so upsetting that they have stolen my computer with all of my photos on it. I can't make my son 2 again, which means they are gone forever.

So many people have told me I should have backed up onto an external hard drive. Good in theory, but the thief stole that too.

I guess all I can do is register the laptop as being stolen with Apple, and prey that it breaks down coz the hopefully the person will be stupid enough to take it to an Apple repairer. Am I right in understanding from Apple that not just anyone can fix these things? PLease tell me that I can at least trust in that....
kandnic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:21 AM   #8
laudern
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I just have one more question to ask about prey. Prior to installing prey I had a password set that you needed to login to the computer when turning it on. But from what I gather about Prey needing an Internet connection to work, it's best that I take my login password off and allow a thief to use my laptop in hope that he will connect it to the Internet so prey can work.

So basically it's more of a risk in giving acces to all my stuff in hope of locating it.
laudern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:36 PM   #9
JBG87
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
check pawn shops in your neighborhood and maybe craigslist to see if you see your mac
JBG87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:30 PM   #10
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandnic View Post
I guess all I can do is register the laptop as being stolen with Apple, and prey that it breaks down coz the hopefully the person will be stupid enough to take it to an Apple repairer. Am I right in understanding from Apple that not just anyone can fix these things? PLease tell me that I can at least trust in that....
You're kind of correct. Apple is not the only person who can repair Macs, but generally computer repair shops will not offer services to repair Macs unless they're Apple Certified. So, no not anyone will generally repair them, but at the same time Apple isn't the exclusive repairer of Macs.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:37 PM   #11
Moomba
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
You're kind of correct. Apple is not the only person who can repair Macs, but generally computer repair shops will not offer services to repair Macs unless they're Apple Certified. So, no not anyone will generally repair them, but at the same time Apple isn't the exclusive repairer of Macs.
There's a reason most shops don't advertise that they will fix Mac's. Apple's lawyers tend to send cease and desist letters to companies that even mention servicing Apple products unless they are an authorized service center. I speak from personal experience here.
Moomba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:38 AM   #12
tug
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: loughborough. u.k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus18244fsa View Post
I doubt Apple would ever help you out plus there's absolutely no way for them to find your IP (that's if for some reason they even transmit your serial number when update checking) without a lot of work. I suggest installing Prey on your system (or new system) when you get it back. It would help you tracks your computer yourself if it's stolen.

http://preyproject.com/
thanks for this mate, just installed it on my mac. you can surely pick great stuff up from this forum,love it.
__________________
21.5 imac, 2.7GHz intel core i5, atv 2, iphone 5
i blah,blah,blah, blah,
tug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:03 AM   #13
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Theft is a fact of life. For anyone reading this thread here's my advise. This applies to any computer OS
1. Install Prey
2. Dropbox (2GB free and it's 256bit SSL encrypted)
3. A NAS for local backup like QNAP or Synology (avoid D-Link junk). Also make sure the NAS supports either Time Machine (OS X) or has some form of Windows backup support (most do).
4. Make sure your homeowners insurance covers computer theft, most do and will offer full replacement value.
5. If you're on the road you might consider a Kensington lock.

PS for iOS devices use the free Find My iPhone app.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 06:54 AM   #14
molala
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
You can create a guest account that has no admin rights and will not let the guest user see files from your regular account. But he/she can still use the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudern View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I just have one more question to ask about prey. Prior to installing prey I had a password set that you needed to login to the computer when turning it on. But from what I gather about Prey needing an Internet connection to work, it's best that I take my login password off and allow a thief to use my laptop in hope that he will connect it to the Internet so prey can work.

So basically it's more of a risk in giving acces to all my stuff in hope of locating it.
molala is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is there a way to track stolen or lost MBA? Jaranson MacBook Air 4 Dec 27, 2013 05:19 PM
Apple TV 3 stolen how to track it? Webb Apple TV and Home Theater 24 Aug 21, 2013 02:17 PM
Apple Working With NYPD to Track Stolen iPhones MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 89 Feb 26, 2013 04:49 PM
Please help me track my stolen macbook with an IP address!! missouri101 Mac Basics and Help 6 Nov 5, 2012 10:15 AM
Software to track MBP location if stolen? Belle-vue MacBook Pro 10 Oct 8, 2012 06:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC