Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afousek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
I'm thinking of getting into iOS development. I need something different to do on the side and I'm just gathering facts at this point. I do have a pretty good C++ background from college, so it sounds like I'd just have to look into Objective C, etc. Again, I'm just looking at this as something to play around with as a side job. I'm just curious to hear from you all if it's worth my time.

Is there any money to be made as just an individual developer?

What type of revenue are you guys seeing from iAds?

How did you get started?

I've always wanted to use my programming background, and I love my Apple devices, so it seems like a way to bring all of that together.

Just looking for some direction. Thanks in advance.

nickculbertson

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2010
Nashville, TN
Your questions pop up frequently in this forum. Search some previous threads on where and how to get started. Yes, you can make money as an indie developer but it has to become a full time job. As for iAd, it all depends on the popularity of your app.

Nick

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There is money to be made by designing and marketing above average apps. It's not just about coding. There are several 100,000 other apps in the App store competing for visibility and customers. You've got to rise above most of them to make any money.

If you want to play around and potentially make money, play around with coding stuff that no one else is doing, or almost no one else can do or knows about to do, and create stuff that will delight customers (those are Apple's words) when they run across your marketing activities and press releases.

I started by playing around making apps for myself first, until I ended up making stuff that I thought potential customers might find unique and interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.