Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Sep 16, 2002, 10:20 AM   #1
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Maine iBook Deal Goes Through

http://www.centralmaine.com/news/sto...laptops_.shtml

Despite a budget crisis and fears of manhandled computers and dubious downloading, Gov. Angus S. King Jr.'s laptop-for-seventh-graders program is under way throughout the state.

I know there was some concern about this actually happening... but looks like it's a go.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 10:28 AM   #2
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
i wonder if theyre using os9 or osx
Old Sep 16, 2002, 10:29 AM   #3
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
I'm glad to hear its going through, I was very worried that it would not go through, Those dumb PC senators were trying to kill it! This is great for Apple because this means that all those 7th graders will come back for more Apple products, especially the iPod when they get in High School its the coolest MP3 player around.

Thanks Gov. Angus S. King!!!
Old Sep 16, 2002, 10:32 AM   #4
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
Quote:
Originally posted by SilvorX
i wonder if theyre using os9 or osx
It probably depends on what each school is running and what software they use. Some schools(Like mine) have yet to upgarde to X because they would have to buy all new X apps for the computers. It really depends on how updated the school is and if they share a network with PCs. My school is afraid to upgarde to X becasue they are worried that it won't be compatible with the NT network for the PCs.(Which is old)
Old Sep 16, 2002, 10:33 AM   #5
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
36,000 more laptops, wow, but I bet this doesn't even effect the apple market share all that much.

What would be interesting to find out is how many of these machines have problems right out of the box - which some are bound to have. Its a nice sampling, I wonder if that info will ever be published.

D
Old Sep 16, 2002, 01:20 PM   #6
RogueLdr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Macmaniac

My school is afraid to upgarde to X becasue they are worried that it won't be compatible with the NT network for the PCs.(Which is old)
At my job we have a NT network and also several Macs in our art department. We've recently begun testing OS X v.10.2 on the network and find it to be MORE compatible with the NT network than OS 9.x. The truly handy part is not having to use Appletalk, but instead using SMB to access the NT servers directly. OS X can see everything on an NT network.

RL
Old Sep 16, 2002, 02:58 PM   #7
dricci
macrumors 6502a

Yep, OS X 10.2 should fit in nicely on pretty much any network.. a lot nicer than OS 9. OS 9 only really had support for TCP/IP and AppleTalk, where with OS X's BSD core, just about any protocol can easily be added on.

As for the software: There's always classic, and educational institution discounts for upgrades I say do whatever it takes to get schools on Mac OS X before they make the mistake of going 1 Microsoft Way.
dricci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 03:34 PM   #8
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
Quote:
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I'm glad to hear its going through, I was very worried that it would not go through, Those dumb PC senators were trying to kill it! This is great for Apple because this means that all those 7th graders will come back for more Apple products, especially the iPod when they get in High School its the coolest MP3 player around.

Thanks Gov. Angus S. King!!!
lol..uh...the same PC senators who hate microsoft....lmao.....
Old Sep 16, 2002, 04:31 PM   #9
Chomolungma
macrumors regular

Waste of money

I don't see how (there are studies out there that will back me up) a laptop will improve a child education. A notepad and a pen in the hand of a child couple with a smart teacher is by far the best tool to teach a child writing, math and science skills. Stop this nonsense, and stop wasting the taxpayer money!

Just my $0.02

cheers
Chomolungma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 05:18 PM   #10
zimv20
macrumors 601

Re: Waste of money

Quote:
Originally posted by Chomolungma
I don't see how (there are studies out there that will back me up) a laptop will improve a child education. [snip] Stop this nonsense, and stop wasting the taxpayer money!
it's not often legislatures make decisions based on hard science. more often, it's for political expediency. when it comes reelection time, everyone who sponsored the idea and voted for it can run on an education platform.
zimv20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 09:57 PM   #11
TMay
macrumors 65816

actually...

I'm not keen on computers as a substitute for a hands on education, but as an adjunct, it allows both the leading and lagging students to participate at an appropriate pace.

Education is best when it matches the pace and interests of the student. Computers allow a fairly straightforward means of tailoring a portion of the education experience to an individual student.

Early reports that I have read have generally been favorable, with a highlight that students assisting in the teaching process was an unexpected benefit.

I say that Maine has done a good thing.
TMay is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events