Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patin22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
My time capsule's power supply died after 15 months of service. I wanted my data so I pulled out the hard drive and hooked it up to my SATA to USB connector that I use for another 3.5" drive. When I plug it into my Mac I get two separate drives that popup; APswap and APconfig. One is empty and the other has one config file.

Any ideas on how I might get into the root of the file structure to access my data?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
There should actually be a third partition named Data. That is the one that will contain all of the data from your Time Capsule. Are you able to see the Data partition in Disk Utility?

Also, if you've been using your Time Capsule for Time Machine backups and want to access the files in your backups, you'll need to mount the .sparsebundle image file found on the Data partition before you can access those files.

patin22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
There should actually be a third partition named Data. That is the one that will contain all of the data from your Time Capsule. Are you able to see the Data partition in Disk Utility?

Also, if you've been using your Time Capsule for Time Machine backups and want to access the files in your backups, you'll need to mount the .sparsebundle image file found on the Data partition before you can access those files.

No Data directory in Disk Utility either. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I skipped the Time Capsule backups and moved the files over manually as needed. Would that need to be accessed in a different way?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
There should still be the third partition regardless of how you backed up. It's the partition that stores the user's data and is the largest partition of the three.

What are the sizes of the two partitions (APconfig and APswap) and the total size of the hard drive? Can you post a screenshot of your Disk Utility with the hard drive selected?

patin22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
There should still be the third partition regardless of how you backed up. It's the partition that stores the user's data and is the largest partition of the three.

What are the sizes of the two partitions (APconfig and APswap) and the total size of the hard drive? Can you post a screenshot of your Disk Utility with the hard drive selected?

It's a 500GB drive.
APconfig and APswap are the same size:
Cap 1.07 GB
Available 1.05 GB
Used 21.5MB

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 6.38.21 Apr 15, 2011.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 6.38.21 Apr 15, 2011.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 411

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
That's definitely not right. There's a big chunk of that drive that's unaccounted for (that should be the Data partition). I would guess that either the partition is damaged, the hard drive itself is damaged, or the SATA to USB connector is faulty. I would first try to use another SATA to USB connector or enclosure and see if the partition shows up. If you can't do that, or if it doesn't show up, you may need to run data recovery software on that drive to see if you can salvage the information.

patin22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
That's definitely not right. There's a big chunk of that drive that's unaccounted for (that should be the Data partition). I would guess that either the partition is damaged, the hard drive itself is damaged, or the SATA to USB connector is faulty. I would first try to use another SATA to USB connector or enclosure and see if the partition shows up. If you can't do that, or if it doesn't show up, you may need to run data recovery software on that drive to see if you can salvage the information.

Picked up another SATA to USB connector and got the same results. Hopefully I'll be able to get my files off with some data recovery. Thanks a lot for your help with this, I really appreciate it!

rodergate

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
Time Capsule Data Recovery

Picked up another SATA to USB connector and got the same results. Hopefully I'll be able to get my files off with some data recovery. Thanks a lot for your help with this, I really appreciate it!

Were you able to retrieve your data with data recovery? If yes, how did you do it? I am having the identical problem with my time capsule hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.